X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • survive
    Forum Member
    • May 2008

cafs

Just looking for some input. my department is looking at using CAFS for brush fires. Is it a good or bad idea?
  • sdff1520
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Sep 2001

Great idea. Works well, conserves water, helps with flare-ups, slop-overs, etc... Makes a great tool for pre-treatment, laying wetline to burn off of.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

Comment

• onlocation
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2008

If monies are plentiful, I say go for it. We opted out of it on our brush units mainly becuase of the costs it brings with it. We just put a wetting agent in the tank each time we fill up and it works pretty well. Instead of a CAFS unit, could you carry a pro-pak on the truck and use it instead when you need foam?
      Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Comment

• KB1OEV
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by onlocation
        We just put a wetting agent in the tank each time we fill up and it works pretty well.
        Thats fine, but I want to share something I just learned in a course on foam. If you add class A foam to a tank of water, it will be most effective if used within 24 hours. After that, the foam breaks down and doesn't anywhere near as well. So if you want to add foam to a tank, it should be done after a call comes in and not when the truck is just going to be sitting at the firehouse.

Comment

• neiowa
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by onlocation
          .... Instead of a CAFS unit, could you carry a pro-pak on the truck and use it instead when you need foam?
          That gives you (somewhat) aspirated Cl A Foam. In no way the same as CAFS. Better than water or foam in the tank. You find a way to do CAFS then get a eductor and low or medium expansion nozzle. You can find the $.

Comment

• onlocation
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by KB1OEV
            Thats fine, but I want to share something I just learned in a course on foam. If you add class A foam to a tank of water, it will be most effective if used within 24 hours. After that, the foam breaks down and doesn't anywhere near as well. So if you want to add foam to a tank, it should be done after a call comes in and not when the truck is just going to be sitting at the firehouse.
            You are correct, I was refering to refilling on scene when still fighting fire. No we do not do it when the fire is out and we are fixing to park it. We actually try to make it a habit that if we know it will be the last tank for that scene(mopping up) we wont add any agent at all and try to flush out any that is left.
            Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...