Training question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training question

I had a question about the best way to pursue my first job with wildland firefighting. I graduated not to long ago with a degree in wildlife sciences. I've been working a temporary wildlife job with a state agency. Now that it's winter, there's not a whole lot of wildlife work. I would like to get a job as a wildland firefighter next summer, and from what I can tell I have two option for training. . . I could either wait and try to get hired, and be trained by my hiring agency, or I could re-enroll at my university and take wildfire management as a spring semester class. You end up with your fft2 red card by the time you finish this class, but you would be unavailable for employment until mid may. Im under the impression most jobs are filled by this point. Would I have a better chance of finding work taking this class, or just applying for jobs and being trained by anyone who might hire me?

See if you can find a different training class, it should only take about 5 days to get all the required training for your FFT2 (S130/S190/L180/I100).

Comment

I'm kind of in a similar situation as yourself and I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard Cal Fire sometimes does a second round of hiring later towards May, however, I'm not too positive about this. I too won't be done with my academy until mid-may but would still like to work next summer. Does anyone know if they do in fact hire throughout the season?

Comment

I know they hired away one of our FEOs in June I think it was. He ended up quitting over safety concerns about the people he was working for and coming back to the fs.

Comment

yes it is possible to get hired even if you havent finished your academy yet. I would still subtmit an application and interview. Just be sure to let them know that you do not have all of your certs yet, but on completion you will be able to provide them. Also, you wont be able to start work for Cal Fire unless you can show proof of all of the minimum required certs.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X