Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Start dates for Cal Fire Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start dates for Cal Fire Season?

I'm going to the local fire academy starting Jan. 5th and will be done sometime around May 18th of 2009. My question is can I apply as a FF-1 prior to being done with this, and if so, when do the report dates usually begin for Cal Fire stations? Is it seasonaly dependent on weather etc?

Thanks Again. Joel.

Joel,

Are you a type-2 already and plan on working on your type 1 PTB while your in your academy? Taskbooks can take a lil while longer than expected to sign off just keep that in mind.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
      Joel,

Are you a type-2 already and plan on working on your type 1 PTB while your in your academy? Taskbooks can take a lil while longer than expected to sign off just keep that in mind.
      Well to be honest I am not sure what you mean by type-2 and type-1 PTB so I can't give you an answer regarding that. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the taskbook is/ consists of.

Would you mind explaining for me?

The fire academy I'm going to be attending is a regional academy through the local community college. After completion I'll have my state FF-1 Cert. as well as my EMT-B license.

Comment

Joel,

I am referring to the NWCG tpe one and type two certification. As far as the State of Cal. i do not know how they are set up.

Your NWCG FFT2, consists of your basic class. Your FFT1 is your advanced firefigther class. After you have completed that class you will be issued a Postion task book,(PTB) There will be a list of tasks that you have to complete under supervision of a FFT1 or higher, after you have everything completed you will then be recomened for certification.

Comment

Joel,

"My question is can I apply as a FF-1 prior to being done with this"

Yes, you must apply to each unit individually. The more apps you put out the better.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/about/about_c...n_seasonal.php

"when do the report dates usually begin for Cal Fire stations? Is it seasonally"

Each unit does its own hiring so start dates will differ. Some units do not have a "fire season" such as San Diego. FF1s work 9 months in 3 platoons. In the summer there is "augment " hiring.

If you get a call from a unit it will be to go in for an interview. You need to come up with a way to be there. Its up to you to make it happen.

All that talk about PTBs is irrelevant to you . Your FF1 academy is SFM I guess and it has nothing to do with how the NWCG rates firefighters and CDF does not use the standards anyway so ignore the other poster.

Goodluck.

Comment

You CDF Does not use the NWCG standereds at all? So say some one has 4 plus years as a Engine boss in MT, the quals won't cross over? Wow thats kind of a cruddy deal for some one looking to cross over

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
              You CDF Does not use the NWCG standereds at all? So say some one has 4 plus years as a Engine boss in MT, the quals won't cross over? Wow thats kind of a cruddy deal for some one looking to cross over
              I think exceptions would be made

Comment

All units accept applications starting the first business day in November. What you need is: EMT-B, SFM FF1,CDF 67 hour FF-1 basic. I dont know about applying before you have your certifications.
                Your best bet if you cant get your certs done before the cuttoff (I think its Jan,1.) would be too find a volunteer station near where you live and put in some station time familiarize yourself with general station duties and get some training through your volunteer dept.

Comment

The applications for CAL FIRE FF1 open the 1st of November and close Jan 31 each year. The only things required for this position are a valid CPR card, First Responder, and a CDF 67 hour wildland class, which the state calls a CDF FF1. With that being said, you will have a hard time getting hired without the basics already listed, CSFM FF1, EMT, etc. Since you will be in an academy, you should have a pretty good chance of getting a job, not to mention the amount of turnover in the state has left openings in every rank for the last 4 years. And for Bushwacker, its not that the NWCG certs don't cross over, they are not required so you'll have to get a CDF 67 for hiring, and those others should only help.

P.S. There is talk of making the CDF BAsic FF1 165 hours instead of 67, so try and find a class before that happens.
                  NorCal Firefighter

Comment

"You CDF Does not use the NWCG standereds at all? So say some one has 4 plus years as a Engine boss in MT, the quals won't cross over? Wow thats kind of a cruddy deal for some one looking to cross over"

"I think exceptions would be made"

No exceptions are made. The agency has standards for company officers and that is the State Fire Marshall standard. On the supplemental application for the permanent positions there are points given for training such as NWCG classes. You can check the box for S-230/231 for points.

As far as someone looking to cross over latterly we do fly on occasion an "open list" for captain. You pretty much have to have California municipal and or wildland firefighting experience at a supervisory level. If not you must have the SFM classes and certs for Fire Officer, firefighting experience and something else special to cross over. Some of my friends who came over from the USFS were Hotshot superintendents, Battalion Chiefs, ect.... You get the idea.

Comment

Joel, Since your not going to have all the certifications that Cal Fire is looking for when you go in for your interview, attach a letter to your application which you turn in before the end of January stating that you are in an academy and will have these certs. by the end of the academy.

Also about the 67 hour FF1 changing to 100+... my roommate was talking to a Cal Fire Captain here in Butte and the Captain said that yes the hours to complete the class will change but the class will still be called the 67 hour FF1. Does anyone know of places either Bay Area, Sacramento or north that are putting this class on this fall?

Comment

Originally posted by JulianNorCal View Post
                        Joel, Since your not going to have all the certifications that Cal Fire is looking for when you go in for your interview, attach a letter to your application which you turn in before the end of January stating that you are in an academy and will have these certs. by the end of the academy.

Also about the 67 hour FF1 changing to 100+... my roommate was talking to a Cal Fire Captain here in Butte and the Captain said that yes the hours to complete the class will change but the class will still be called the 67 hour FF1. Does anyone know of places either Bay Area, Sacramento or north that are putting this class on this fall?
                        I believe the official academy is only held in Ione now.

Comment

"I believe the official academy is only held in Ione now.

The academy for permanent employees is done primarily done at the Ione academy. There are other regional academies being held. In the extreme north (Weed) and south ( San Marcos, Riverside) due to Ione not being able to handle the load. The Basic Wildland Fire cert known as the "67" is held in many places, Unit training divisions, community colleges and private academies. Although it is still called the "67" it is now going longer in most places. The "Basic Wildland Firefighter" cert is what you need to be hired as a FF1. Call your local unit training officer and ask who is hosting it in your area.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X