foam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam question

what is the best foaming foam, with no reguard for fire properties.
    just needs to be white for looks

It would be a lot more cost effective to just use dish soap (dawn, etc) in the right proportion.

Comment

would have to say this depends on your foam system, choice of nozzles and the proportioning rate
      "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Comment

using silvex at 1% now.. i get a good 60:1 expansion with the nozzle i built that last a good 4 hours before it starts to flatten out..good enough for me

the original trouble i had stemmed from someone slipping in a bottle of 6% mix and i didn't notice..it was driving me nuts till i saw the label..got it back to normal now though

Comment

USDA Forest Service Approved

Look at the list of approved foams from USDA Forestry Service. Some of the best are Phoschek WD881, National Gold, Firetroll. Dish soap is not biodegradable. The bio test requires no traces of foam after 2 years. Dish soap will last as long as some class b foams.
          Later

Comment

i heard phoscheck is good..just don't have a local distributor ;-(

and their sales rep for the area never calls back

Comment

We use both Silvex and Phoschek WD881. They are basically the same as far as making foam. Right now we have mostly Silvex because it was cheaper when we ordered foam last year.

Brad

Comment

66 for 5 gal..here

Comment

Chemguard's First ClAss Foam has been working very well for us. Plus it meets USDA requirements for all fire suppression applications, EPA requirements for toxicity and produces very good quanities of foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowbreaker View Post
                    We use both Silvex and Phoschek WD881. They are basically the same as far as making foam. Right now we have mostly Silvex because it was cheaper when we ordered foam last year.

Brad
                    Fire-Trol seems to make good foam at lower concentrations than Phos-check to me. I don't have much experience with silvex.

I believe the original question was asked in reference to special effects, actually. He doesn't care about the fire-fighting properties of it. However, I am very curious about what people find works better for extinguishing fires.

Comment

I really don't think you could go wrong with one of the foams from the USFS list (as someone else mentioned).

Especially at the proportions we use in wildland fire.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X