Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Boots! Once again...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots! Once again...

So, it looks like I'll be working for ODF this summer. Not guaranteed, but the lady in charge of the hiring process was very delighted to see that I was a medic.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what boots to get so I can start breaking them in now. My attention for the time being is being drawn towards the danner fire line and the danner 10" uninsulated super rainforest (I have a pair of acadias for duty boots and so I'm slightly biased towards Danner). Has anyone had experience with either boot? I would rather not spend more than 300 for a pair of boots. Obviously, I need a boot that won't fail on me and will be comfortable enough to keep me going all day, but to get a boot close to $400 (whites boots) for probably just one season of wildland firefighting seems just not worth it.
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

One idea is to check out the factory seconds of WESCO (I can't get a direct url to link to, so this will get you closer without having to search it out) You need to look at the firestormer and the job master. The firestormer is a jobmaster but with the fire and oil resistant sole or kevlar laces a standard feature.

I have been using Wesco's for close to 20 years now, and never had a problem. The other manufactuers may have the same type of deal.... I'm not interested enough to look at them (it ain't broke, so don't need to fix )
    Last edited by RxFire; 03-16-2008, 02:27 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

A BIA Agency we have an IA agreement with wear Danner boots. If you are comfortable with the fit of the Danners, they will work for you.

I would stay with the Flashpoint 10" or QUARRY LOGGER GTX over the Super Rain Forest 10''. I prefer a boot with more heel. My back and legs feels better when I wear boots with more heel.

Good luck on getting the job and stay safe.

Brad

Comment

I've been wearing the Rain Forest as a uniform and wildland boot for years. No complaints. Check out Danner's factory outlet at 127th and Airport Way the next time you're in PDX.

http://www.danner.com/category/id/100025.do

Comment

I have fought wildland fires for about 5 years now and I got a pair of danners my first year, Tillamook which is now the fireline, I really enjoyed them. But at the time I was using a bad boot grease and they didnt last more than 3 years. I went back and bought a pair of fireline and I found out that it was more than just the name that they changed. They went cheap and started using glue on the soles and a lower quality leather that broke down quicker and I now use a really good boot grease, Ill be lucky if I can get one more year out of them. If all your using them for is just one season of firefighting then they wouldnt be a bad way to go but if this is something you might look into for a few years, look into something that is built to last.

Comment

So this is my first year and I am trying to also look into which boots to go with. The two that I have narrowed my search down to would have to be The Danner's: Tillamook http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...ctid=TILLAMOOK

or the 10" Nick's Forester
            http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...?productid=55F

I guess if anyone could give me some good direction on both of these boots that would be much appreciated. I have read what was above about the danners and has anyone else had this issue. I have a pair of danner station boots and im very satisfied with them.

Comment

Having just posted a lengthy response earlier, I recommend LaSportiva's Glacier. The one thing that I left out of my other post is that you need to check with your agency first to make sure they don't have there own regulations. Prior to that I wore Nick's and they worked great. I liked them up until I tried Sportivas, they provide a little more ankle support for me.
              -Tradition-
              Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Comment

I agree that Danner has strong power on the market . I have Danner Men?s Super Rain Forest .The leather over leather triple stitch down construction of these boots creates a wider platform to increase stability. Superior traction provides ample grip in both wet and dry conditions, plus a slip-resistant Vibram sole provides confidence in slick conditions where one is prone to fall.Particularly, these boots are great for those who work outdoors, such as firefighters, police, field technicians, and loggers as they are designed to withstand harsh terrain. These are American made work boots through, and through, for this reason, they proudly display ?made in the USA? on their attached tags
                Here is a comprehensive list of ?the best 5 lightweight and best 10 steel toe boots in the market. Click to read reviews of our best work boots for men!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90