Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Web Gear Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Gear Suggestions

I am looking for any suggestions on Web Gear. I previously owned some gear 911, but it seamed like it didn't have the room or very many compartments. I'm look to go out west this year, so any suggestions good or bad would be great....

Thanks

I have field tested most of the web gear out there at one point or another in the last couple of years. I chose as my favorite and this past year my department switched to the WolfPack Gear. Very Comfortable and easy to change it up to make it work the way you want it. The CAL FIRE helitack crews in my area both are using WolfPacks and lot of the engine crews also.

Here is the link: http://www.wolfpackgear.com/

Comment

Gotta go with mark--Wolfpack is pricey, but good stuff. Might also look at True North, that's great gear, too.

Just keep in mind, if you're planning on working for the Feds, you will be issued an IA pack and all the gear you need (except boots), so you might be better off plopping down the $250 the WolfPack stuff will cost on a really good pair of wildland boots instead... You may very well end up dropping serious cash on your own personal pack, then being told, depending on the overhead on your Engine, Crew, etc, that they want you to use their issued gear, not your own.
      My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

You can also look at "LA Rescue" web gear, you can find it at

LA Rescue Wildland-Speedgear

or as said in the post before if your working for a service that provides your gear then by all means sink your money into a good set of boots.
        Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Comment

You will find out your pack will be just as important as your boots, depending on what job you will be doing. I am on a helitack crew and have found the nimrod pack to be the best, if you are going to be digging line and wearing it all day long. When you order a nimrod pack you order it to fit your body. It is designed to form to your back, and has more than enough room for everything you'll be carrying, including a camelback. If you are going to be in and out of an engine all day you might take a look at the packshack packs that breakdown quickly. They are more of a one size fits all but they get the job done. Theilsen also has some descent packs, but most of them don't break apart. In our area agencies aren't to worried about issuing you a pack, but it sure would't hurt to check into it. Also take the others advise and don't be cheap on the boots.

Comment

I don't know if I'll be working for the fed's or not. I work on a regular department and have completed my red card though the state department of forestry. I get place on with the state team to go out west when needed. So should I still get my own stuff or just wait?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter6585 View Post
              I don't know if I'll be working for the fed's or not. I work on a regular department and have completed my red card though the state department of forestry. I get place on with the state team to go out west when needed. So should I still get my own stuff or just wait?
              If your state DF has a fire cache and issues gear, I wouldn't bother with ploppin down on the WolfPack gear unless:
              A) you're sure you'll be allowed to use it
              and
              B) the gear they issue is crap (uncomfortable, not enough space, no sleeve storage for hydration, etc)

Also, the LA Rescue gear is ok, but the problem comes with the hydration sleeve--it's far too tall, more like a traditional backpack, making it very difficult and uncomfortable (if not impossible) to wear a hosepack over it. Not an issue really with a handcrew, but if you're going Engine Co, I would highly recommend a pack that rides low, and the "main" pack is detachable. That way, you can just pare down to "the essentials" when you're operating around your Engine--shelter, hydration, fusees, hose clamp, etc, and carry your "extras" when you're hiking in well away from the Engine. The WolfPack "Big" bag (whatever they're calling that 2800"cu monster) is detachable, the "mack daddy" pack is not. All True North packs are detachable as well... just another factor to keep in mind when making a decision. You want that flexibility to dump the "extras" off in the apparatus if you're sticking right nearby.
              My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

This summer I did see a new pack that is coming out from a company called Stat Packs.

It wont cost as much as a Wolf Pack, and should have everything your looking for. I am not sure of the date or if its even out yet but the prototype I did see looked sweet!!

I think the web page for them is www.statpacks.com or just search the web. They do have a pack now but that is not the one that I saw this summer.

If you have the extra money I woud throw down for a pack that is yours, DONT use the FSS (forest service Sh*t) your back will thank you after working long shifts wearing a good pack. Good Boots are also good, check out Nicks Boots www.nicksboots.com hands down one of the best boots on the market!!

SMK

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X