Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

timeframe for 08 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timeframe for 08 season

I am trying to get onto any shot crew I can for the 08 season. I am taking wilderness EMT from 01/02/08-01/25/08. Obviously WEMT would look very good on a resume. My question is wheter I should start applying now (12/21/07) or after I take the class. I am not willing to miss my opportunity to fight fire this season and dont want to miss a hiring time window.

Originally posted by 65x55BPD View Post
    I am trying to get onto any shot crew I can for the 08 season. I am taking wilderness EMT from 01/02/08-01/25/08. Obviously WEMT would look very good on a resume. My question is wheter I should start applying now (12/21/07) or after I take the class. I am not willing to miss my opportunity to fight fire this season and dont want to miss a hiring time window.
    Shots don't have much use for EMTs, Wilderness or otherwise--they don't run medical aids. Might be nice in case of an injury "on the Line", though, and might be the "tiebreaker" between you and another otherwise equally qualified candidate, but it's not going to be a "major factor" in the selection process for a Hotshot Crew.
    Also, do you have prior FF experience? If not, you're going to find it very difficult to get on a Type 1 Crew ("Hotshots"), as they are very limited on the number of first-season FFs they can accept and still be considered a Type 1 Crew.

If you're that determined that you want a Fire job this season, you should put in for everything that's open--Shot Crews, Type 2-IA Crews, Helitack, and Engines...especially as a first-year FF, you need to seriously hedge your bets.

Look at USAJobs for a "generic" idea of positions that are open. The Forest Service has a link to FireHire, which contains much of the same info, and might have more specific info about the job/location, etc, than what's posted on USAJobs.

If you're in California, look at USFS Region 5 Employment Outreach. You might try CDF also, their FF1 (seasonal FF) applications are accepted in November through January, though in the Northern Region you have to apply in person at each unit you want to work at. Keep in mind, though, that in order to be truly competitive you will have to have your FF1 cert already in-hand at the very minimum.

Another option in the Feds, if you live near a National Forest/Park/Wildlife Refuge (not all NWRs have Fire programs, though), is to apply to be a "casual" or "emergency" FF, more properly referred to as an "AD" (Administratively Determined) Firefighter. This would be part-time work on an "as-needed" basis, but hey, it's better than nothing, especially if you're a college student who doesn't take classes during the summer break.

You might also try applying at the contract companies: NorthTree International, FireStorm, FireDos, etc, though again, much of their work is scheduled on an "as-needed" basis.

Perhaps RxFire or NonSurfinCAFF will reply with info/advice as well, they're a lot deeper "in the loop" than I am.
    Last edited by the1141man; 12-29-2007, 02:02 AM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

USAJobs isn't a bad place to start looking... another hint would be to pick up the phone and call the places you really desire.. let them get to know you, get the info on the hiring process direct from them. For example, my unit does NOT use USAJobs for our seasonals... we hire mostly local kids and we hire them on a student hiring provision, which gives us more control of who & how we hire.

USFS, BLM, NPS, USFWS are the fed players for the most part... Do a SEARCH within the wildland firefighting topic here.. the question of how to get on is asked many times, and answered by many. Lots of good info in those old posts.

Good Luck.. if you have questions, come back and ask.
      IACOJ
      Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
      http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

On all of the larger incidents I go on, they always ask "give me the name of all your EMTs". But in the Type I and II fires they always have contract EMTs.

I don't know how they get on the list, but they are dispatched as single resources. Most of them are EMT-I's. Some of them are pack tested for line work and some of them just stay in camp.

The guys who are pack tested make significantly more money than the average SHOT guys.

Comment

It will help, but you are better off calling around, call and keep calling and if you can do a face to face with the Supt. Go with a R3 crew you have a better chance of getting on then if you went with a R5 or R6 crew.

EMT's and Medics have been pulled from shot crews and set out for a Line EMT job, and in AZ and a few other places they will take 3 guys and send them off for a single resorce job to help someone, it was the case quite a bit.

You should have a back up plan, if you dont get picked up by a shot crew look at a type II crew, they are all over the West.

Other key is to start running now, before you report for duty you should be running around 20 miles plus a week.

Look up on the web the Regions.

SMK

PS R-3 AZ-NM
          R-5 Cali
          R-6 WA, OR

Comment

Originally posted by kd7fds View Post
            On all of the larger incidents I go on, they always ask "give me the name of all your EMTs". But in the Type I and II fires they always have contract EMTs.

I don't know how they get on the list, but they are dispatched as single resources. Most of them are EMT-I's. Some of them are pack tested for line work and some of them just stay in camp.

The guys who are pack tested make significantly more money than the average SHOT guys.
            Most likely, the guys you're talking about ("contract EMTs") aren't on a contract at all, but are most likely AD (Administratively Determined aka "emergency" or "casual" workers) EMTs/Medics. Yes, at the AD rate they're paid hour-for-hour far better than their GS-scale full-time counterparts ... in R5, an AD EMT-1's rate is something like $21.00/hr. However, there's a catch with AD personnel: no overtime. You get your $21/hr alright, but for every hour you work, even beyond 8/day or 40/week.
            No benefits, either, and no guarantee of work. AD positions are "call when needed".

Also, AD workers, while they may hold multiple IQCS quals, are paid based upon their primary duty at the fire....so if you're an EMT, but have your WCT and FFT2/1, and are out on the line fighting fire, you're probably going to be making FFT2/1 wages (significantly lower than EMTs), instead of the EMT $21/hr pay.

You should have a back up plan, if you dont get picked up by a shot crew look at a type II crew, they are all over the West.
            Well, like I told him, if he's that determined to get a job, he needs to be applying everywhere...Shots, 2IA Crews, Engines, whoever'll take his app.
            My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

If you have new boots, start getting them broken in now... don't wait for fire season.
              IACOJ
              Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
              http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

Your timeframe is fine. I am on shot crew in Region 6 and we begin hiring around the first of April. To be perfectly honest I wonder how valuable the EMT thing is. In my opinion wildland experience carries much more weight than EMT. The previous posters were right about calling around everywhere and inquire about openings. What is your wildland experience like? I got on a shot crew with just one year of contract experience, but I have a degree and am a combat vet as well. Apart from myself I have never known any hotshot that got on without at least 2 yrs wildland experience. Hope this helps.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X