Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Riding on Bumper

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here in
    the US I would have mutual aid coming before I got to this point.

i did call the nearest neighbours. look:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103234

but as the site was nearly 50 miles from their firehouse, i did not want to keep their only firetruck longer than really necessary. (and they had been at a grassfire earlier the same day in their own district)

that is just my point: we are few, we got large districts/counties - so we need to make the work as easy as we can for those few, who volunteer.

our departamento(state) is about 90% the size of Kentucky.
    about a hundred thousand inhabitants.
    four firedepartments, two of these with one firetruck and one homemade rescue car each, the other two working with tankertrucks from the lokal Coops.
    (a total of fifty-plus volunteers)

sierts

Comment

• sierts, we work from the back of a truck all the time for grassfires. They get too big too quickly for us to do anything else. If you want to see one of the vehicles we use for that sort of work, and want to know how we do it, let me know. Use tha Yahoo link.
      "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Comment

• volfirie,

i don't have Yahoo messenger.
        could you send it to this mail adress?

bomberos-neuland=at=chaco-paraguay.net

thanks,
        sierts

Comment

• Originally posted by sierts View Post

i don't have Yahoo messenger.
          could you send it to this mail adress?
          All done. Get yahoo, it's free!
          "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Comment

• volfirie,

thanks, got your mail. (still trying to decode it)

sierts

Comment

• Any update?

By my reckoning, it has been a year or so since you last posted on your husband's situation and your/his dealings with inept management. Was wondering if any major improvements have been made within you district and department regarding policies on riding bumpers for brush fire. Recently joined the site and came upon your issue while leafing through the forums.

Comment

• Reassurance

Hi Texas Fire Wife, I'm a new Probationary Volunteer Firefighter lady from Blanco County, Texas. If it makes you feel any better about your husband's shoulder, I compete in whitewater kayaking at the expert level. I'm 50 years old, and back on February 2nd, I had a BAD kayaking injury--tore one rotator cuff totally for the 2nd time (1st repair was 1997, from a fall on the floor at work), and another halfway torn, plus they relocated my biceps tendon in my left shoulder.

I am left-handed, and now at 3 months plus post-op (surgery was March 4th, 2009, 2 hours, with 2 orthopedics), I am back to paddling hard and fast and playing kayak polo, and making goal shots left-handed (bottom of goal is 6 feet above water, like a soccer goal) on our Austin Team Men's goalies (who are on the US Men's Team), praise God!

Just wanted to let you know that with some surgery (maybe) and some good PT and stretching and training, shoulders can heal up pretty good.

Have applied to the ACC Fire Academy in Austin for fall semester (I have a B.S, an M.Ed. and an all-but-dissertation Ph.D. from UT-Austin in Mechanical Engineering) and am on the waiting list.

Bless y'all,
                Tam

Comment

• NFPA 1500 is the standard for safety. As with any standard you can not pick and choose which sections you want to follow. For example, if you wear turn outs, bunker gear , hitch or how ever you refer to it. You cant leave out the portion of riding on the outside of a vehicle because you have adopted the entire code. NFPA my not be law but it is a standard held in such high regards that it can and will be used during litigation.

Comment

• RE: needbiggerirons' "Any Update"

Originally posted by needbiggerirons View Post
                    By my reckoning, it has been a year or so since you last posted on your husband's situation and your/his dealings with inept management. Was wondering if any major improvements have been made within you district and department regarding policies on riding bumpers for brush fire. Recently joined the site and came upon your issue while leafing through the forums.
                    Sorry for the delay in my reply. Things have not really changed much. They did get some new trucks (that they still ride on the outside of but are supposedly designed for wildland fighting). The kicker is that they haven't been trained on how to use the trucks! This has got to be one of the most "unprofessional" professional departments EVER!

The good news is that we are very, very close to retirement. I cannot even begin to hint enough at exactly how close we are. Lets just say that things are going to be exposed in the very near future. We were basically scared into silence but that will only last until my husband is no longer working for the department. This will probably end up in criminal court before the end of the year.

If I gave you all the details, you would think that I was insane or making all this up. When we document the things that go on, we can't even believe it and we live it! I will keep you updated as I can.

~TXFW19

Comment

• RE: TamThompson's post

Originally posted by TamThompson View Post
                      Hi Texas Fire Wife, I'm a new Probationary Volunteer Firefighter lady from Blanco County, Texas. If it makes you feel any better about your husband's shoulder, . ..... Just wanted to let you know that with some surgery (maybe) and some good PT and stretching and training, shoulders can heal up pretty good. ....

Bless y'all,
                      Tam
                      Tam,
                      Thank you so much, I will pass this on to my husband. & good luck with your FF endevours! I pray God's protection over you!
                      ~TXFW19

Comment

• RE: FirefighterHuey's post

Originally posted by FirefighterHuey View Post
                        NFPA 1500 is the standard for safety. As with any standard you can not pick and choose which sections you want to follow. For example, if you wear turn outs, bunker gear , hitch or how ever you refer to it. You cant leave out the portion of riding on the outside of a vehicle because you have adopted the entire code. NFPA my not be law but it is a standard held in such high regards that it can and will be used during litigation.
                        I couldn't agree more! Hopefully things will change soon. I think we have basically decided to advocate for the firefighters that my husband is leaving behind (through his retirement). We just couldn't live with ouselves if we got out safe and then a firefighter ends up seriously injured or even dead
                        because we didn't speak up.

~TXFW19

Comment

• Ready for the Changes

TexasFireWife.... I know what you are going through... My lil brother was one of your husbands E/O's. We have been trying to have a better working relationship between the 2 departments, but it probably will never work until "The Chief" is gone. I have spoke with several members of the "paid" departments and everything is good with the guys, its just she doesn't like our chief. There have been several times where we have offered to help out with calls, but were told we weren't trained to her standards. She would rather call a smaller department 15 miles away to cover their station while they are out on a multi alarm fire, knowing that we were there with an engine ready to help out as much as possible.

Keep up the good work and we will be seeing you and Cap around town.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X