brush fire scene of collapse / death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brush fire scene of collapse / death

Funeral services are pending for a longtime volunteer firefighter who collapsed at a brush fire in a New York village Sunday.

Hector "Sandy" McClune, 76, was assisting at a small brush fire behind Millerton Elementary School when he collapsed. Fellow personnel from Millerton Vol. Fire Co. attempted to revive him. However, their efforts proved fruitless.

McClune was transported to the hospital in nearby Sharon, CT., where he was pronounced dead.

He has been a member of the all-volunteer department since 1966.

A fire department spokesman said funeral arrangements should be announced later Monday.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

My condolences to the Millerton Vol. Fire Co. and the McClune family.

Sleep with angels, Hector
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

I'll pray for our brother...

...but at the same time I will be left with a nagging thought that a 77 year old man shouldn't be fighting fires. I find wildland brutally hard, and I'm 35.

Comment

Originally posted by coldfront
        He has been a member of the all-volunteer department since 1966.
        40 years of service....thank you sir...may you rest in peace!
        Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
        Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
        On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Same thoughts

Originally posted by randsc
          ...but at the same time I will be left with a nagging thought that a 77 year old man shouldn't be fighting fires. I find wildland brutally hard, and I'm 35.
          I retired (due to service injury) in 1981 from the London Fire Brigade UK-we as front line career(or has been expressed before "Paycheck Grabbers") firefighters were given the option at age 40 plus to partake in certain drills--I.E.-live carry downs/hook ladders(you call the Pompeir?)/B.A Smoke Chamber--yeah, and a whole heap of us old un's still did the "Macho" thing-"We are as good as the young'uns" "Experience and natural cunning will win every time"But it ain't necessarily so"
          Unfortunately Old Father Time calls the Shots--my very sincere condolences to his family and crew mates--but--still turning out at 70 plus-NO WAY!
          Last edited by 2andfrom; 11-28-2006, 01:58 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by 2andfrom
            I retired (due to service injury) in 1981 from the London Fire Brigade UK-we as front line career(or has been expressed before "Paycheck Grabbers") firefighters were given the option at age 40 plus to partake in certain drills--I.E.-live carry downs/hook ladders(you call the Pompeir?)/B.A Smoke Chamber--yeah, and a whole heap of us old un's still did the "Macho" thing-"We are as good as the young'uns" "Experience and natural cunning will win every time"But it ain't necessarily so"
            Unfortunately Old Father Time calls the Shots--my very sincere condolences to his family and crew mates--but--still turning out at 70 plus-NO WAY!
            I'll give anyone a pat on the back for just wanting to help at that age, even though he or she may know their time has come and gone..either way, I'm sure he died doing something he enjoyed or felt like he had a reson to do. It's the way I would like to go and be remembered. Rest in peace brother, your work is done.
            'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Comment

The man died doing what he obiously loved ----- heaven forbid he cheated himself out of a couple of extra years in the nursing home. My condolances to the family and my respect to him.
              ?

Comment

I have some sympathy for this position...

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel
                The man died doing what he obiously loved ----- heaven forbid he cheated himself out of a couple of extra years in the nursing home. My condolances to the family and my respect to him.
                ...but it really doesn't hold water. How'd you like a 77-year-old partnering you? Firefighting is a team sport.

In any case, all respect to the brother in question. I'm just thinking that at that age, moving to a support role is in everyones best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by randsc
                  While I think we should remain observant and not mention those things I do hold the same sentiments as well.

Comment

ok --- first of all what makes you think he wasnt in a "support" role ? He could have been pumping a truck or directing traffic. And I dont think firefighting is a team "sport" --- in fact I dont consider it a sport at all.
                    I do believe that you watch each others backs and work together, but a sport ????? A person can be an asset without doing physical work. Knowledge and experence can make up for physical shortcomings. Time catches up with all of us , but to be brutally frank ----- if at 35 wildland firefighting is getting the best of you ------ dont look back because it sounds like father time is breathing down your neck.
                    ?

Comment

Out of respect for ANY fallen firefighter...it is common courtesy to only post your condolences in threads that announce an LODD.

Please take your sidebars to another thread. Thanks.
                      Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                      Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                      On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
                        Out of respect for ANY fallen firefighter...it is common courtesy to only post your condolences in threads that announce an LODD.

Please take your sidebars to another thread. Thanks.
                        Wasn't aware of the point of forum etiquette, sorry.

Comment

Umm Wow

To all of you people saying that my grandfather should have stopped contributing to the fire department, you shouldn't say that unless you know him. He may have been 76 (NOT 77) but he was always moving, never resting. Whether it was fighting a fire, or working in the garage, he was never sitting. He was helping to keep my town safe, how dare you people say he shouldn't be out there at 76. He had tests done every year to test and see if he could still volunteer so obviously he was. My grandfather was a beautiful man, a wonderful person, and just because you are 35 and obviously can't handle a little cardio does not mean someone older can't handle it.

Comment

On my old department is a guy that says he'll quit volunteering when they carry him off in a stokes basket.
                            The brother we are remembering may not have wanted to die doing what he was at the time,but he was doing something that kept him going.
                            He is to be saluted,not run down.
                            My deepest condolences to the family and his department.

Comment

fallen but not for gotin

me and my famliy will pray for him and his famliy i lost my dad a wile back he was 46 but that did not slow him down one bit and the valeetered at our department for 4 yaers i my self have ben on for 4 yaers so i think i no how it feles it will be ok

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X