Reading Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Suggestions

I am a company officer in a urban fire department and I have no experience in wildland firefighting. I have just read the book "Young men and fire". I am hoping that I could get some suggestions from wildland firefighters on other books related to this subject.

Thank you for your attention.

Fire On The Mountain by John Maclean which is about the South Canyon Incident where 14 FF died.

A whole list here http://www.wildlandfire.com/books/books.htm

Also, IFSTA puts out Wildland Fire Fighting for Structural Firefighters - Not a bad read, good info if you have no experience, Redundent if you do it for a living
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

In my opinion the best wildland text book is the Firefighter's handbook on wildland firefighting, by William Teie, published by Deer Valley Press.

Structure protection in the I-zone by George Bradford, published by Fire Engineering is a good book if you will be primarily responding on a structure engine, it is pretty basic stuff for wildland firefighters but it focuses on the structural firefighter responding to a wildland fire and getting the most from a crew and equipment not designed for wildland firefighting.

Comment

I agree. Fire On the Mountain is an excellent book and very easy to read. Their are tons of other books as well but the Storm King Mountain incident is an important one to study. Try studying Polaski as well.
        If you are looking for texts on the subject try the handbook. I can't remember the guys name but he is an ex CDF'r with alot of knowledge to offer as well as some practical scenario's to run through.
        If you ever have an oppurtunity try taking a 67 hour class(CDF) or a 32 hour class (Feds).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X