Red Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Card

Hi, I'm currently looking for a position as a wildland firefighter. Do I need to have a Red Card before I can apply ? Do I need to have a college degree before I apply ?

You don't have to have a red card for most federal jobs. A degree helps, as you can use part of your schooling instead of experience.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Comment

Red Card.....

I talked to the crew from the Forest Service that runs outta our Fire Station, if you get on with an agency they will put you through the Red Card process prior to fire season. I am seeing more and more Departments get hammered and kicked off of fires because their personnel don't have Red Cards.
      "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

A red card is usually issued by your agency, I don't think you could get one before getting hired unless it came from another job.

If you actually mean wildland training (basic 32 for the Feds or CDF 67 hour academy) then, its not required to get hired but it helps. Most Fed agencies will put new employees through the training, CDF is less willing to do so.

Typically the Feds are the easiest to get hired with (they hire the most and pay the least), then CDF (who also hires alot, but pays better) followed by a handful of county departments that hire seasonal firefighters (Kern Co, LA Co, Ventura Co, Santa Barbara Co, Marin Co etc).

California adopted their version of the Redcard system a few years ago so departments are starting to comply. It has been a requirement for agencies responding to Federal incidents for many years but its only been the last few years that it has been enforced in California, many other states have been using Redcards for years.

Comment

huh

what is the "red card"? i am sorry it stubld question but i just started in fire class?
          Unit 713
          Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
          www.rineyvillefire.com
          www.sfrtarea5.org
          www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

Comment

Originally posted by firesideky
            what is the "red card"? i am sorry it stubld question but i just started in fire class?
            A "Red Card" is the common name for the Incident Qualification Card that the federal agencies use to show what a firefighter is qualified as, as well as what trainee positions they hold. I've seen them list everything, or just the highest qualifications of the individual - individual unit preference??.

Full explanation available here http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/wanta_be.htm#redcard
            IACOJ
            Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
            http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by RxFire
              A "Red Card" is the common name for the Incident Qualification Card that the federal agencies use to show what a firefighter is qualified as, as well as what trainee positions they hold. I've seen them list everything, or just the highest qualifications of the individual - individual unit preference??.

Full explanation available here http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/wanta_be.htm#redcard
              Thanks you RxFire
              Unit 713
              Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
              www.rineyvillefire.com
              www.sfrtarea5.org
              www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

Comment

i don't think that you need red card, you can just show your degrees. all the best.

Comment

Red card.....

Actually, if you respond to a State or Federal fire and don't have a Red Card then you get the boot..... It doesn't matter what degree you have. I have personally seen now CDF, USFS and BLM remove Departments from assignments due to personnel not being qualified and Red Carded for that position.
                  It has to do with training and safety...... It's a good program.
                  "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

red cards

had a exp this summer in mt on a fire .. we where asked to show our red cards and we did...one of the few engines on that fire that had all its red carded members... they sent a fed engine home due to no one haveing any...now that was funny...also saw a few pvt engine sent packing... heck how hard is it to have one on you.. dont take a fire assmt until you have one in your hand .... stay safe ptb

Comment

It is getting more and more common to be asked for your red card on a fire.
                      Two years ago, I was working on a federal engine, we all took the refresher and pack test in early May, but there was some problem with the FMO and admin not getting the paper work done. So we didn't get our red cards till August, it was pretty funny.
                      "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Comment

Originally posted by ramseycl
                        Two years ago, I was working on a federal engine, we all took the refresher and pack test in early May, but there was some problem with the FMO and admin not getting the paper work done. So we didn't get our red cards till August, it was pretty funny.

No kidding, I think all the Forests run into that at one time or another. I've had years where I didn't get a card until Sept and other years I end up getting 3 or 4.

Comment

Originally posted by ramseycl
                          yes you are so right i had a fmo tell us he was not going to give us red cards so we wont go offf forest and large fires... let me tell you he did not last more than a month

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X