Rural Hydrant Planning/supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rural Hydrant Planning/supply

I'm looking for opinion, AND more importantly, referances to standards for rural hydrant installation planning. Assume midwest farm country, widely spaced individual residences/farmsteads or in clusters of 2,3, or 4 such within 1/4 mile radius. Gravel road grid on 1mi squares.

Issue is writing a reasonable standard for a proposed rural water transmission/distribution project. Each hydrant install costs $1500-2000 that has to be financed. Looking for "industry standards".

State Law. Reads "shall establish a rural fire protection program which shall include, but is not limited to, providing access to designated soft-hose fill stations". Well what the heck does that require? Nothing excect what we can force them to do.

Potential std might be "1000gpm hydrant will located at the center of any circle with radius 1500' that contains 3 or more houses". Or perhaps every intersection should have a hydrant which while logically is much less economical and shows no planning.

I'm willing to consider lay LDH 2-3000' (assuming I can finance purchase) from hydrants located near any house cluster or up long farm entry drive/lane. Large fires or fires at more remote farms to use tanker shuttle. If hydrants located at road intersection most use would be tanker fill (no LDH lay).

What do you say? What is the "industry standard".

Good questions....wrong forum. We're the guys who use air tankers, copters, rakes, shovels, McLeods, Pulaskis and 1" hose. Hydrants? Miles and miles from most of us!

Try the firefighters forum...it's just a few clicks from here!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Good questions....wrong forum. We're the guys who use air tankers, copters, rakes, shovels, McLeods, Pulaskis and 1" hose. Hydrants? Miles and miles from most of us! Which is the entire point of the question. RURAL ops. We are GOING to improve from where we are now. Tankering water 30 miles to put out wildland fires (mostly grass/field/hay bale fires for us). It's time to improve and get rid of the old.

Try the firefighters forum...it's just a few clicks from here!Unfortunately I could not find, in all the sundary categories a discussion of the most basic supply requirement.

WATER - tanker supply/ops, longlay of LDH, hydrant/water system design, drafting/dry hydrant. ????

Comment

I worked on a reservation that had installed hydrants in rural areas. I think mostly to provide water into the future as housing expanded, but we also used them for engine refills during wildfires. It was odd to see a hydrant out in the boontickeys, but they certainly served a valuable purpose as most water was an effort to get to. I cannot help you with the standards, but the firefighter forum may still be the best place to get municipal standards.
        O'Cionaoit: teine geinim

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X