Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Private Firefighters Save Policy Holders Homes, Raise Concerns.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Firefighters Save Policy Holders Homes, Raise Concerns.

Didn't see a sub-section for Private/Insurance company based Fire Fighting Services so dropping this here for discussion. Mods, move where it best fits.

Source- https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/we...-their-n869061

Insurance companies such as AIG are hiring experienced FFs as members of 2 man "mitigation" teams. They do pre-incident assessments and when a threat of wildfire occurs they are dispatched to perform tasks such as clearing brush and limps, foaming and spraying down exposures and hitting hotspots. It seems some of the government guys don't like the private services doing their own thing and not being part of their ICS. Frankly, I see this as being not much different than a company or homeowner contracting for Private Security when a threat of civil unrest occurs. Except these guys don't have Kevlar vests and pistols but have chainsaws and hoses.
    More about the AIG program featured in the article at- https://www-200.aigprivateclient.com...n-how-it-works
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

wow, here is a user I haven't seen in a while.....

Based on the article, these guys are hired mercenaries, doing their own thing, without any oversight from the IC. They are freelancing. All is well, as long as they save the house: what happens if they get killed? What happens if forestry service creates a controlled burn, and it traps these guys because they don't know what's happening?

What's to stop you and me from heading down and fighting some wildfire? Do you have any training? Do I? who cares, the insurance company is going to pay us big bucks to go down there.

Lets move this to a structure fire. You are first due on the engine on a house fire, and as officer, start assigning tasks to your 4 man crew. While you are preparing to make entry, two guys in a brush truck pull around back, start breaking windows and spraying water from a booster line. They say they are from the insurance company, and were hired to save the house. do you have a problem with what they are doing?

If these guys want to do prevention, before an incident, particular around the properties of their subscribers, I'm cool with it. you want to clear brush and limbs? awesome. you want to enter the warm or hot zone of a major incident? now we have an issue. You want to do your own thing, possibly interfering with our action plan, with no accountability or oversight? a bigger issue. If you want to help out, you report to the command post, advise them who you are, why you are here, and who requested you, and then we can talk. otherwise, your freelancing, and likely to get yourself or someone else killed.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

AS long as any citizen has access, these guys should also.

And normally talking about wildland fires.

Comment

Not sure I like the whole badge/uniform thing - it casts an official air on them, and they aren't municipal firefighters with the attendant authority..

Beyond that, heck, if they can save my house, more power to them.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

There is alot at stake for insurance companies, if a wildfire destroys a ritzy neighborhood. Millions in claims. Its cheaper for the insurance company to send in their own contracted team, than to risk losing anything to wildfire.

Comment

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
            wow, here is a user I haven't seen in a while.....

Based on the article, these guys are hired mercenaries, doing their own thing, without any oversight from the IC. They are freelancing. All is well, as long as they save the house: what happens if they get killed? What happens if forestry service creates a controlled burn, and it traps these guys because they don't know what's happening?.
            Did you READ the articles? They are no different from a homeowner staying behind to spray water on the house, or a security guard hired to sit in the house to make sure no one breaks in. They are assigned to that house, not to fighting the fire other than what directly impinges on that house. And fighting that part of the fire is but 10% of their job.

Will your department be able to go and clear brush, apply phoschek, and keep an eye on that structure alone? No? Then let them do their job.

What's to stop you and me from heading down and fighting some wildfire? Do you have any training? Do I? who cares, the insurance company is going to pay us big bucks to go down there..
            The qualifications include,

Must be ICS qualified at the minimum Engine Boss level. Will be required to accept wildfire assignments as Engine
            Boss.. Must be proficient with computers, digital cameras, scanners and other miscellaneous electronic equipment. Must have some public speaking skills.

Must be able to possess a DOT drivers physical.

Physical Demands: Must pass a Aurdous Pack Test with a 45lb pack walking 3 miles in under 45 minutes. Must be able to possess a DOT drivers physical.

Experience and Education:

REQUIRED TRAINING

All NWCG required training and certifications as a ENGB

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE

Satisfactory performance as anEngine Boss, Single Resource (ENGB) on a wildfire incident.

PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL Arduous

The following positions maintain currency for ENGB:

Division/Group Supervisor (DIVS) Incident Commander Type 3 (ICT3) Incident Commander Type 4 (ICT4) Operations Section Chief Type 3, Wildland Fire (OPS3) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 1 (RXB1) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 2 (RXB2) Safety Officer, Line (SOFR) Single Resource Boss including (CRWB, FELB, FIRB, HMGB, HEQB) Strike Team Leader Engine (STEN) Task Force Leader (TFLD) ENGB

Competencies
            • High attention to detail
            • Self ? managed and directed, able to proactively carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision
            • Composure during high stress situations
            • Professional appearance, demeanor and manners

Do YOU have those qualifications?

I would venture at a wildland fire these guys are better trained, equipped, and experienced than your average city FD at wildland fire fighting.

Lets move this to a structure fire. You are first due on the engine on a house fire, and as officer, start assigning tasks to your 4 man crew. While you are preparing to make entry, two guys in a brush truck pull around back, start breaking windows and spraying water from a booster line. They say they are from the insurance company, and were hired to save the house. do you have a problem with what they are doing?.
            Lets not. No where does it even talk about a response to a working fire.

If these guys want to do prevention, before an incident, particular around the properties of their subscribers, I'm cool with it. you want to clear brush and limbs? awesome. you want to enter the warm or hot zone of a major incident? now we have an issue. You want to do your own thing, possibly interfering with our action plan, with no accountability or oversight? a bigger issue. If you want to help out, you report to the command post, advise them who you are, why you are here, and who requested you, and then we can talk. otherwise, your freelancing, and likely to get yourself or someone else killed.
            The crew protecting one house is not going to effect your action plan, and should be simply treated as civilians. Perhaps the command staff in areas where they provide this service should be proactive in reaching out to them to share information in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
              Not sure I like the whole badge/uniform thing - it casts an official air on them, and they aren't municipal firefighters with the attendant authority..

Beyond that, heck, if they can save my house, more power to them.
              What badge/uniform thing?

They don't need badges, and uniforms are all the rage for employers. What "authority" is conveyed by a set of turnouts?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

What badge/uniform thing?

They don't need badges, and uniforms are all the rage for employers. What "authority" is conveyed by a set of turnouts?
                The employees in the images were wearing badges, and to the uninitiated (ie, the general public) would appear to be actual firefighters, not representatives of a company selling a product.

There is a certain implied authority, or maybe the word should be trust, if you show up at the door in what appears to be official attire.

Comment

Did you READ the articles? They are no different from a homeowner staying behind to spray water on the house, or a security guard hired to sit in the house to make sure no one breaks in. They are assigned to that house, not to fighting the fire other than what directly impinges on that house. And fighting that part of the fire is but 10% of their job.
                  did YOU??? a homeowner staying behind (especially after a mandatory evacuation order was given) is generally a bad thing however they are staying behind and protecting THEIR house, not being contracted to freelance outside of the jurisdiction of the AHJ.

And no, they aren't like a security guard. they are more like a private armed police force.

Will your department be able to go and clear brush, apply phoschek, and keep an eye on that structure alone? No? Then let them do their job.
                  someone getting a little defensive? I wonder why my response touched a nerve.... and for the record, I would imagine that all FDs are trying to keep all the structure safe and undamaged.

and as I mentioned, I have no issues with them clearing brush, especially in the safe area.
                  The qualifications include,

Must be ICS qualified at the minimum Engine Boss level. Will be required to accept wildfire assignments as Engine
                  Boss.. Must be proficient with computers, digital cameras, scanners and other miscellaneous electronic equipment. Must have some public speaking skills.

Must be able to possess a DOT drivers physical.

Physical Demands: Must pass a Aurdous Pack Test with a 45lb pack walking 3 miles in under 45 minutes. Must be able to possess a DOT drivers physical.

Experience and Education:

REQUIRED TRAINING

All NWCG required training and certifications as a ENGB

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE

Satisfactory performance as anEngine Boss, Single Resource (ENGB) on a wildfire incident.

PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL Arduous

The following positions maintain currency for ENGB:

Division/Group Supervisor (DIVS) Incident Commander Type 3 (ICT3) Incident Commander Type 4 (ICT4) Operations Section Chief Type 3, Wildland Fire (OPS3) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 1 (RXB1) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 2 (RXB2) Safety Officer, Line (SOFR) Single Resource Boss including (CRWB, FELB, FIRB, HMGB, HEQB) Strike Team Leader Engine (STEN) Task Force Leader (TFLD) ENGB

Competencies
                  • High attention to detail
                  • Self ? managed and directed, able to proactively carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision
                  • Composure during high stress situations
                  • Professional appearance, demeanor and manners
                  Where are you getting that information? I didn't see it listed in the article.
                  Do YOU have those qualifications?

I would venture at a wildland fire these guys are better trained, equipped, and experienced than your average city FD at wildland fire fighting.
                  I don't; then again, I'm not a wildland firefighter with a red card (or whatever it's called), who deals with wildfires on a monthly basis. But If I was on one of those departments in the midwest, I would image it would be pretty common, especially if my departments was always getting large wildfires.

I'm just curious: who enforces the training rules? is there any oversight? or are we trusting the for profit entity that everyone is properly training

Let me guess: you work on the side as a wildland firefighter, and are taking it as a personal insult that someone doesn't want you freelancing on a scene. You have additional information, and seem to be very defensive. It's ok if you are, just state your biases and experience.

Lets not. No where does it even talk about a response to a working fire.
                  why not? it's the exact same concept. if it is good for brush fires, I would think you would be all for saving structures from burning?
                  The crew protecting one house is not going to effect your action plan, and should be simply treated as civilians. Perhaps the command staff in areas where they provide this service should be proactive in reaching out to them to share information in advance.
                  I agree. Treat them as civilians. They can go in the safe area, and clear all the brush they want. You want to trim trees and move combustibles from the house? go nuts. You stay outside the firezone. You follow the directions of the Fire Department, and if they tell you to leave, you leave. You don't go in behind an active fire and lay down fire retardant, at least not without telling anyone else. You don't spray water on any fire; that's the job of the FD. You stay in the cold zone, away from any threat or potential threat.

We can agree, if you act like a civilian, stay out of the warm or hot zone, and follow the directions of the local FD, and don't use any special equipment that a civilian wouldn't have. otherwise, your freelancing and a liability on the scene
                  If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

The employees in the images were wearing badges, and to the uninitiated (ie, the general public) would appear to be actual firefighters, not representatives of a company selling a product.

There is a certain implied authority, or maybe the word should be trust, if you show up at the door in what appears to be official attire.
                    Pretty standard for for profit fire departments. But these guys are showing up at houses by prior agreement, so I am not seeing the issue. It would be comforting at best for the customers.

Comment

did YOU??? a homeowner staying behind (especially after a mandatory evacuation order was given) is generally a bad thing however they are staying behind and protecting THEIR house, not being contracted to freelance outside of the jurisdiction of the AHJ.

And no, they aren't like a security guard. they are more like a private armed police force.
                      Sure did. As well as did additional research. This is NOT the homeowner, this is trained professionals.

someone getting a little defensive? I wonder why my response touched a nerve.... and for the record, I would imagine that all FDs are trying to keep all the structure safe and undamaged.

and as I mentioned, I have no issues with them clearing brush, especially in the safe area.Where are you getting that information? I didn't see it listed in the article. I don't; then again, I'm not a wildland firefighter with a red card (or whatever it's called), who deals with wildfires on a monthly basis. But If I was on one of those departments in the midwest, I would image it would be pretty common, especially if my departments was always getting large wildfires.
                      Not defensive at all. I just have enough common sense to realize that the majority of big wildland fires the firefighters are not able to be at every structure. Why can't a private individual contract with trained and equipped professionals to make their property safer?

I'm just curious: who enforces the training rules? is there any oversight? or are we trusting the for profit entity that everyone is properly training
                      Hmmmm.... NFPA, IFSTA, PROBOARD, NWCG, USFS, etc? Those certs are the type of requirements in place.

Let me guess: you work on the side as a wildland firefighter, and are taking it as a personal insult that someone doesn't want you freelancing on a scene. You have additional information, and seem to be very defensive. It's ok if you are, just state your biases and experience.
                      LOL. Not me. I am not a wildland firefighter. Among my other duties I am a member of an AHIMT that may be called to support wildland fire fighting. You know - one of those groups that you feel has to know about the locations of all the private firefighters in the area.

I do research however. Scary thing that research, you learn stuff when you do that. Maybe you should look into it:?

why not? it's the exact same concept. if it is good for brush fires, I would think you would be all for saving structures from burning? I agree. Treat them as civilians. They can go in the safe area, and clear all the brush they want. You want to trim trees and move combustibles from the house? go nuts. You stay outside the firezone. You follow the directions of the Fire Department, and if they tell you to leave, you leave. You don't go in behind an active fire and lay down fire retardant, at least not without telling anyone else. You don't spray water on any fire; that's the job of the FD. You stay in the cold zone, away from any threat or potential threat.

We can agree, if you act like a civilian, stay out of the warm or hot zone, and follow the directions of the local FD, and don't use any special equipment that a civilian wouldn't have. otherwise, your freelancing and a liability on the scene
                      https://wildfire-defense.com/career-opportunities.html Here is some information from my research. This is the company that provides most of the firefighting forces for insurance companies.

​​​​​​​

Comment

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...l05-story.html "Insurance companies began sending crews to wildfires around 2006, said Paul Broyles, former head of fire operations at the National Interagency Fire Center, which coordinates federal firefighting efforts from Boise, Idaho. Land use changes in the past two decades have allowed more homes to be built in or near wildfire-prone areas, prompting the insurance companies to offer such a service, said Michael Barry of the New York-based industry funded Insurance Information Institute.

"They got a job to do just like we do, and it's a legitimate response by the insurance companies," Broyles said."

And another federal voice on the subject,

"The private crews work closely with - and report to - incident commanders at the scene. Their presence means other firefighters can focus on other structures, said Greg Huele, a spokesman with the federal team in charge of the Colorado Springs fire.

"We can't be in there freelancing," Morris said. "Everything we do is coordinated.""

Comment

Pretty standard for for profit fire departments. But these guys are showing up at houses by prior agreement, so I am not seeing the issue. It would be comforting at best for the customers.
                          If it's by prior agreement, not a problem. My concern would be them showing up unbidden (ie, a "sales call") with the cachet of authority.

Comment

Sure did. As well as did additional research. This is NOT the homeowner, this is trained professionals.
                            ummm, you're the one who said it's not different than the homeowner staying behind. Here, let me refresh your memory:
                            Did you READ the articles? They are no different from a homeowner staying behind to spray water on the house, or a security guard hired to sit in the house to make sure no one breaks in. They are assigned to that house, not to fighting the fire other than what directly impinges on that house.
                            Hope that clears up that issue.
                            Hmmmm.... NFPA, IFSTA, PROBOARD, NWCG, USFS, etc? Those certs are the type of requirements in place.
                            ummm, none of those agencies are ENFORCEMENT agencies. they are agencies that set standards, but it's typically OSHA and the AHJ that can be held liable or fine individuals for using individuals who lack training, set forth by the cert agencies you listed (and NFPA is only a recommendation, not a law).
                            LOL. Not me. I am not a wildland firefighter. Among my other duties I am a member of an AHIMT that may be called to support wildland fire fighting. You know - one of those groups that you feel has to know about the locations of all the private firefighters in the area.
                            so as an AHIMT member, you encourage people to freelance, think it's acceptable that random people do what they want on a scene without being part of the AHJ's actual response, and are ok with a complete lack of accountability of who is operating within the confines on your incident? just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page
                            https://wildfire-defense.com/career-opportunities.html Here is some information from my research. This is the company that provides most of the firefighting forces for insurance companies.
                            they are one company... I am starting ABC wildfire to do the same. what's your point? we are both contractors?

If they wanted to be part of the solution, they could register with Emergency Management and be listed as a private contractor who could be called by the IC if needed.

But hey, you're the IMT guy, if you are ok with private contracts freelancing on a wildfire scene and doing their own thing, ignoring or not communicating with the command post, and having questionable training standards, well, I guess I'll had to say you work a scene differently than I would.
                            Last edited by drparasite; 06-06-2018, 10:05 AM.

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

[And another federal voice on the subject,

"The private crews work closely with - and report to - incident commanders at the scene. Their presence means other firefighters can focus on other structures, said Greg Huele, a spokesman with the federal team in charge of the Colorado Springs fire.

"We can't be in there freelancing," Morris said. "Everything we do is coordinated.""
                              Apparently not, at least not according to the firefighters who spoke on this exact topic in the NBC article:
                              "We check in at incident-command centers and say, 'Hi, we are AIG, we have all the safety equipment to be behind evacuation lines,'" he explained.

But in numerous cases, according to interviews with firefighters from multiple responding fire departments in the Sonoma fires, these "private" firefighters often did not check in with incident command.

"It's like: 'Who are you? Why didn't you check in?'" Andreis remembers thinking as he was responding to the fires. "How could we get aid to them if we needed to? It makes our job tougher in terms of knowing where resources are."

Sonoma Valley Fire Volunteer Batallion Chief Chris Landry, 41, also encountered private firefighters in October when he responded to the deadly Nuns Fire in the hills between the cities of Sonoma and Napa. At the time, fire was still tearing through dry grass on both sides of the road, downed powerlines and still-burning trees littered the roadway.

"I came across them on Trinity Road when I was checking on structures and said, 'Hey, have you checked in with the division?' and they said 'Yes.' Then I asked at incident command and they said 'No' [they had not checked in]," said Landry, emphasizing the importance of knowing where crews and personnel are at all times, especially in a dangerous, active fire.

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse