Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

how to build a career as a wildland firefighter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to build a career as a wildland firefighter

Hello everyone. I was looking for career advice from someone who has moved among the ranks in the wildland fire spectrum. As far as my background goes I have an AS degree in fire science as well as an EMT-B with some IFT experience and sports medical care and 3 seasons of wildland firefighting experience with the USFS. Going on my next season I am aiming to open my firefighter 1 taskbook. What should I do to continue my education in this field? And what other opportunities in wildland fire suppression are there outside of the USFS or other federal agencies? What can I do to better myself? Thank you for any input and stay safe.
    Last edited by omgee; 02-03-2016, 12:36 AM.

I've got about 20 years working a variety of federal fire jobs.

You will want to get S290 Intermediate Fire Behavior is you don't already have it. That will allow you to apply for GS5 jobs once you have your FFT1 completed (and 12 mo as a GS4 which I assume you will have or will be close to after 4 seasons).

If you want to stay with the Feds don't be afraid of moving around. If you are with a crew that is taking care of you and helping prepare to move up, great, maybe stick around, but seeing other places and different kinds of crews can be a big plus.

You don't mention the area you are in / want to work, not all agencies / regions are the same. R5 USFS (California) has far more permanent positions than any other. However competition is also high, and you pretty much need to get into an apprentice position for GS5. Other regions / agencies are more reliant on seasonal employees so you may have more training opportunities. You may find a seasonal GS5 job which after 12 months will allow you to apply for some career GS 6 jobs.

Also look at working different parts of the nation. It is possible to work the fire season in the west (May-Oct ish) and get another seasonal job working RX fire in the south and east during their burning season (Nov-May ish), either with the Feds or with a private organization like the Nature Conservancy.

Other training you might consider
    S260 Incident Business Management, this helps you deal with administrative issues you will start to be responsible for as an FFT1, times, travel, the rules for hazard pay, length of shifts, how to report injuries etc. It is now an online course, not exciting but useful stuff. http://onlinetraining.nwcg.gov/node/170

S290 is also online but you need a sponsor to take it (perhaps your current supervisor).

A basic rope rescue class (24-40 hours) could be useful to go along with EMT and FFT1. We are starting to see Rapid Extrication Modules used in California to get injured firefighters off of steep terrain. These modules are mostly being staffed with local government firefighters, but I've seen feds attached to them. This is very new so there are no specific quals at this time. If I were to guess though I expect when it becomes an official position it will require rope rescue, FFT1 and 1st Responder or EMT. Some of the hotshot crews are beginning to look at being able to provide this capability within their crew so it could be a selling point for you.

Work on your resume (lots of people have terrible resumes), and get out there and talk with people to see what kinds of opportunities are out there.
    Last edited by Here and there; 02-06-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I feel like I needed to hear that. I'll look for those classes, as I have already have been looking into S290. I work in R5 on the Southern end. I am willing to shift around. But are there other opportunities elsewhere in agencies other than the feds? What is your take on that?

Comment

Originally posted by omgee View Post
        Thank you for your advice. I feel like I needed to hear that. I'll look for those classes, as I have already have been looking into S290. I work in R5 on the Southern end. I am willing to shift around. But are there other opportunities elsewhere in agencies other than the feds? What is your take on that?
        Ok, so you do have familiarity with California. The USFS in California offers the most career opportunity, it is also probably one of the least favorable as far as providing broad experience (we tend to stay where we are, don't tend to move people around crews too much for short periods). We also tend to treat our temporary employees as somewhat disposable, we have career GS 5 firefighters so having one or two inexperienced temps isn't an issue. Most temps only work a couple seasons and then move on to Calfire or another agency, and as supervisors we have less and less input into who we hire. It seems like many supervisors don't put much effort into grooming temps for career positions these days which is unfortunate.

The other Fed agencies are far more dependent on their seasonals having fewer permanents (often just a Captain and FEO, maybe a 13/13 AFEO) so experienced temps get more opportunity to develop their quals. Also being smaller you tend to see more sharing of personnel between crews which allows you to get a broader base (as well as more opportunity to get out and make some OT). The downside is they have fewer career jobs available.

When you get outside of R5 you see much the same with the USFS as well. The other regions don't have the large fulltime workforce that we have.

I can tell you that I see a lot of people coming in at the GS6 level and above from outside of California and outside of the USFS (mostly other Fed, but some from state agencies).

The apprenticeship is a good program, particularly for someone with 5 years or less, but if you are not a veteran you have to qualify as a GS5 (12 months as a GS4, S290, FFT1) or you have no chance of getting picked up. It is possible, but unusual to get hired as a Temp GS5 in R5, but you can find Temp GS5 at the other Fed agencies in California as well as USFS outside of California.

I also see a lot of GS5 Senior Firefighters sit in the same spot for years because they don't want to move and there are fewer promotions available than qualified people, mobility is important for upward movement.

I don't know all of your specifics, you may have it really good where you are so hesitate to say go somewhere else. It can't hurt to look around, see what the BLM and NPS have to offer, look at Region 3 (Arizona / New Mexico) too, they see a lot of fire and have a lot of crews. If you are in Socal you most likely get the Socal locality pay which means you earn a lot more than you will in another area.

If you feel like you are advancing where you are things are probably good. When you feel like you are starting to stagnate maybe give some other options a look. I think I'm a proactive supervisor who helps my employees, and most of my employees who were looking for a career with us took 3-4 years to become a serious candidate for the apprenticeship. It sounds like you are probably on the right track.

Comment

I think you hit it on the nail with how it is in R5. It is highly competitive and I can understand why some supervisors can see us seasonals as disposable. This next season I will have an opportunity for a firefighters taskbook and I do look into applying for the apprenticeship especially with a family to support.

In your opinion, is it easier to get picked up as a GS5 as a seasonal in another region as opposed to being a permanent trying to transfer? I have looked into R2 and R3. What is your take on that being in the supervisor position you are in?

Comment

Originally posted by Here and there View Post

Ok, so you do have familiarity with California. The USFS in California offers the most career opportunity, it is also probably one of the least favorable as far as providing broad experience (we tend to stay where we are, don't tend to move people around crews too much for short periods). We also tend to treat our temporary employees as somewhat disposable, we have career GS 5 firefighters so having one or two inexperienced temps isn't an issue. Most temps only work a couple seasons and then move on to Calfire or another agency, and as supervisors we have less and less input into who we hire. It seems like many supervisors don't put much effort into grooming temps for career positions these days which is unfortunate.

The other Fed agencies are far more dependent on their seasonals having fewer permanents (often just a Captain and FEO, maybe a 13/13 AFEO) so experienced temps get more opportunity to develop their quals. Also being smaller you tend to see more sharing of personnel between crews which allows you to get a broader base (as well as more opportunity to get out and make some OT). The downside is they have fewer career jobs available.

When you get outside of R5 you see much the same with the USFS as well. The other regions don't have the large fulltime workforce that we have.

I can tell you that I see a lot of people coming in at the GS6 level and above from outside of California and outside of the USFS (mostly other Fed, but some from state agencies).

The apprenticeship is a good program, particularly for someone with 5 years or less, but if you are not a veteran you have to qualify as a GS5 (12 months as a GS4, S290, FFT1) or you have no chance of getting picked up. It is possible, but unusual to get hired as a Temp GS5 in R5, but you can find Temp GS5 at the other Fed agencies in California as well as USFS outside of California.

I also see a lot of GS5 Senior Firefighters sit in the same spot for years because they don't want to move and there are fewer promotions available than qualified people, mobility is important for upward movement.

I don't know all of your specifics, you may have it really good where you are so hesitate to say go somewhere else. It can't hurt to look around, see what the BLM and NPS have to offer, look at Region 3 (Arizona / New Mexico) too, they see a lot of fire and have a lot of crews. If you are in Socal you most likely get the Socal locality pay which means you earn a lot more than you will in another area.

If you feel like you are advancing where you are things are probably good. When you feel like you are starting to stagnate maybe give some other options a look. I think I'm a proactive supervisor who helps my employees, and most of my employees who were looking for a career with us took 3-4 years to become a serious candidate for the apprenticeship. It sounds like you are probably on the right track.
            Its been a year since I've read this and I've been curious to find where I can get RX fire experience during the CA off season, about November-May? Which agencies do it and when would be a good time to start inquiring about it?

Comment

Sorry I missed your post last year.

I'm not really sure how getting in outside of R5 compares to within R5 these days but as a temp I think there is much more opportunity to develop. There is the issue of the smaller work force though meaning fewer permanent positions. The removing supervisors from hiring seems to be spreading from R5 which is unfortunate. Including the other regions in your job search can only help though, more applications means more chances to get hired.

Once you have 12 months as a GS5 there will be far more opportunities available to you.

In 2016 Congress passed the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act which allows "long term" temporary workers (24 months of service) to apply as if they had career status. Some hoops to go through but it is a major help to people like you who have come back season after season.

As to your recent question, R8 which is the south east U.S. hires temps for RX work in our off season. The forests, national parks and wildlife refuges burn hundreds of thousands of acres every year with RX fire. These jobs are on USAJOBS under the 0462 or 0455 series just like any other fed wildland fire job. USFS, National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife all have good opportunities for this down there.

Eglin Air Force Base in Florida also has a large RX fire program that uses a mix of Fed permanent employees, detailers from other agencies and contract temp workers.

The Nature Conservancy is a private non-profit conservation organization that has RX burn crews. One of my past temps did a couple off seasons with them in North Dakota and had a good experience.

http://www.nature.org/about-us/careers/

Some of the state forestry agencies in the south east may also hire temporary fire crews for RX burning, but I don't have much experience with them.

Last edited by Here and there; 03-02-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Ok thank you I appreciate the reply. I will look more into it as the season progresses. I love the job and I would like to know about other opportunities out there. Thank you again for the information.

Comment

sophie smith
                  hr@ Top Dissertation help uk

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X