Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wildland Gear

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ditto on the lighter - nothing more embarrasing than setting up to burn out a road and have to run to a spot on the flank some where, to light off your torch. With about 7 engines lined up laughing and hollering "hurry up "
    ?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
      Ditto on the lighter - nothing more embarrasing than setting up to burn out a road and have to run to a spot on the flank some where, to light off your torch. With about 7 engines lined up laughing and hollering "hurry up "
      More then once, that was how I got to work the torch.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

      "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

      "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

      Comment


      • #18
        B.W. or T.P. is like "Fire Line Gold..." You'd be surprised what a Guy would trade for it in desperate times..... LOL.

        Medicated Gold Bond (blue bottle) Powder. It's good fer the tootsies and also in the valley, hopefully you're picking-up what I'm throwing down... LOL.

        I carry similar to what Bushwacker carries minus the fusees and diesel since we have those on the Rig. If I'm doing a burn job, then I'll carry fusees and lots of them so I can stack them and not have to bend over. We light our Drip Torches from our fusees, keeps the digits away from the dripping fuel.
        "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

        Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

        Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

        Comment


        • #19
          Fusees vs drip torches - kinda another "regional" type thing - We carry a bunch on the engine , but seldom used.
          ?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
            B.W. or T.P. is like "Fire Line Gold..." You'd be surprised what a Guy would trade for it in desperate times..... LOL.

            Medicated Gold Bond (blue bottle) Powder. It's good fer the tootsies and also in the valley, hopefully you're picking-up what I'm throwing down... LOL.

            I carry similar to what Bushwacker carries minus the fusees and diesel since we have those on the Rig. If I'm doing a burn job, then I'll carry fusees and lots of them so I can stack them and not have to bend over. We light our Drip Torches from our fusees, keeps the digits away from the dripping fuel.
            Lol Diesel is what my Multi tool is called, Sorry about that.

            Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
            Fusees vs drip torches - kinda another "regional" type thing - We carry a bunch on the engine , but seldom used.
            You can use the Fusses to Light the Drip Torch I love the torch but they are kinda unpractical to to carry in your line gear, but man they sling do much more fire SO much faster.
            Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

            Comment


            • #21
              I am a died in wool "engine slug" and from the South also so its torches for just about everything we do. And carrying a torch through the woods is also a big safety plus ------ if you ever fall off a cliff, I guarantee the drip loop WILL hang on something before you hit the ground.
              ?

              Comment


              • #22
                Yep yep... Plus, no bending-over... Dam, I'm getting lazy..... LMAO.
                "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

                Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

                Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

                Comment


                • #23
                  I guarantee the drip loop WILL hang on something before you hit the ground.
                  I luv it..... So true..... ROFLMAO.
                  "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

                  Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

                  Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Lets see here, so much fun stuff
                    2 gallons water
                    6 fusees
                    gas/oil sigs
                    3 light sticks
                    warmie
                    beenie
                    waterproof jacket
                    lighter
                    irpg
                    knife
                    2 MREs
                    headlight
                    extra batts
                    wet wipes
                    power bars/snacks
                    poison oak wipes
                    supplement powder for water
                    flight gloves
                    extra laces
                    all ppe
                    handtool
                    first aid kit
                    crossword puzzles

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by gobears75 View Post
                      Lets see here, so much fun stuff
                      2 gallons water
                      6 fusees
                      gas/oil sigs
                      3 light sticks
                      warmie
                      beenie
                      waterproof jacket
                      lighter
                      irpg
                      knife
                      2 MREs
                      headlight
                      extra batts
                      wet wipes
                      power bars/snacks
                      poison oak wipes
                      supplement powder for water
                      flight gloves
                      extra laces
                      all ppe
                      handtool
                      first aid kit
                      crossword puzzles
                      why are you carting Sigs?
                      Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I was'nt paying attention to the starting thread, this is stuff that I carry on a hotshot crew, although while I was on an engine we would at times carry sigs if a saw was needed, but that was rare

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I got ya! Makes sense now.
                          Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            A couple things to add:

                            Advil (ibuprofen of some kind)
                            Benadryl(if you have allergies)
                            and as my friend so delicately put it: Something to make you go and something to make you stop going. (anti constipation medicine and anti diarrhea medicine) Sure isn’t fun to get stuck out on the line for days and have problems.
                            Write in the rain note pad in pants pocket (also keep papers in a zip lock in my pocket)
                            Batteries!!!!
                            space blanket
                            Spare glasses/ contacts if you wear them



                            Extra stuff I always have
                            Sling psychrometer and RH tables
                            Kestral weather meter
                            GPS
                            If you’re a sawyer I always have an extra file and wedges in my pack, and a bar nut or two on my key ring.
                            "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Dont forget some aluminun foil.
                              ?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                We are required to carry hot shields face masks in case we get into heavy smoke.

                                cal-osha and cal-fire require lots of protection...

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X