Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigBadBob284
    replied
    We use them on our 6x6s so the truck can be maned by 1 person. Seen them on pickups but they can’t carry enough water to make them effective.

Leave a comment:

• huqiulian
    replied
    Replica Handbags And Shoes

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me. Replica Handbags And Shoes

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Our Crestar's have been out of services more than in service

We have had lots of issues with the Crestar's - water getting into the motors (suppose to be sealed), control boxes failing due to heat (short wiring cable on 1st 2 units purchased caused them to be mounted under the hood), now one of them will not go up or down. We have 3 of them and right now only 1 works.

Great wehn they work (not reliable).

Leave a comment:

• saltgrasschief
    replied
    knowing part 2

both of our brush truck have work stations truck 1 work stations on both sides
    Truck 2 walk across work stations with spray bars
    on front bumper behind guard for pro-
    tection from small trees two switches on
    dash nozzles are switchable from 20GPM
    to 30 GPM .
    I could see the use of monitor but not the justification of the price for them. Plus they stick out in front of the truck some.hate to be the one that haves to explain how it got got damaged

Leave a comment:

• saltgrasschief
    replied
    knowing your area

look I been in Cleveland,Tx many times over the years I live on the coast of Texas near Houston. We just finished building a brushtruck for our area KEY word OUR AREA. You will have to look at what been your problem over the years.( you said shortage of people) I understand this very well. Lets talk truck issues .Monitor or not to monitor.Ive seen them on large tank trucks very few small grass trucks limit on water they carry .your nozzle is your controlling device for water useage Very important you will have to find out the amount or GPM that works best for YOUR AREA (grass ,Brush,weeds,small trees and so on). Open area large fields it will probably do well just set the nozzle (ajustable GPM Nozzle hopefully) on power cone hit both base and over it some to stop the spreding from the dark side and drive the line (HEARS A Buddy to take with you WETTING AGENT (FIRE CAP)this will help your water do more with less.We live by wetting agent well survive by it.In CLuttered area give it up you spend a lot of time starting aiming stopping moving starting aiming stopping moving. You get it. Lots of water wasted. and the fire dont seem to care Just some things for you to think about

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Sorry, ours is also a Crestar

So far only had one fuse issue (needed to grease) but considerably cheaper than the other bids we got

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    We mounted one on the top of the bed on a mini. The wind broke the stream up. Since moved it to the front. We use crestar break-apart mid range nozzles , a lot less than the big three. so far they have served us well.

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Just over top of hood

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Just how much higher is the new one mounted ? You can get one too high and the wind can sometimes give you problems . Dont ask me how I know.
    The first one I can't see unless I have it aimed to side - new one is just over the hood so I can see it even if aimed dead forward.

Ours are Crestline - which looks alot like an Elkhart Sidewinder.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Just how much higher is the new one mounted ? You can get one too high and the wind can sometimes give you problems . Dont ask me how I know.

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    In the Flinthills

We have large pasture and we end up 3 or 4 miles into a pasture with no roads so water is a premium. Don't have many anchor points for a back burn so normally elect for a direct attackl.

We have 2 monitors, the newer one works better in training since it has a faster electric valve than our first one and was mounted higher so you can see it for aiming.

Neither have been used yet on a running fire - we have the walkways behind the cab. Plan is to use them when manpower is short and we have to send a truck with 1 person until further help arrives. They will set the monitor then drive the truck along the line.

Fighting fire from inside the cab can work when your on the right flank - can hit from the black working towards the head fire.

In our area we have lost several firefighters to heat exhaustion/heart attach/eletrocution on the departments that walk the fire line, zero to injuries from riding secured on the outside of the apperatus.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by brynnwtn View Post
    How do you fight a large grass fire that is moving faster then you can walk and fighting fire from inside the cab is not that easy to do I have tried
    thats why we have the crosswalks so we can ride on truck right behide the cab
    If that Fire is moving faster than you can keep up with it on the Ground are you really gaining on it? Or are you just doing some thing to do something?

Why is it so difficult to pump and roll from the air conditioned cab, seat belted in a comfy seat?

Riding on apparatus is a stupid idea, even dumber on wild land engines. And really there is no excuse for it.

Leave a comment:

• brynnwtn
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Fall back and punt.

We'd probably drive the edge of the field and light it off.
    thats why we have the crosswalks so we can ride on truck right behide the cab

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    How do you fight a large grass fire that is moving faster then you can walk and fighting fire from inside the cab is not that easy to do I have tried
    Fall back and punt.

We'd probably drive the edge of the field and light it off.

Leave a comment:

• brynnwtn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Chief you nailed it, They are water wasting POS' and what ever happens don't let the rep tell you any different, they are a plumbing nightmare too.

Get rid of the cross walk. You are going to get some one killed or seriously hurt, Riding on the outside of a moving vehicle is retardedly stupid.

To answer your question, Don't do either one, If you need to pump and roll plumb a line up right next to the passenger side window, Stay seat belted and inside the Cab.

Leave a comment:

• NCKSFIRE
    replied
    We don't have miles to go to get to the hardtop to refill. In our area of the plains we have pretty good access at a fire. Wide open spaces and limited trees.

Our biggest problem is staffing. We can have times where we may only have one guy per truck when it leaves the station. That is where the front monitors work great. One person can extinguish alot of fire until the calvary shows up.

In our area you would kill a person trying to walk the line. The fire would out run you trying to walk it. I know I will get attacked that we should all be in super physical condition. That may be the reality some places but in alot of places we are just lucky to have volunteers willing to answer the call. JMO

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X