Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Chicken sh*t Nancy Pelosi!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    If it's in black and white and I am not doubting you. You sound convinced. but if it is in black and white post a link to the bill or to a press release. maybe that will solve the whole dispute
    I believe this is the bill she signed. The story is right on the Governors official website.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
      I believe this is the bill she signed. The story is right on the Governors official website.
      Fair enough. I guess with this information in hand you are correct. But, huge but, does it mean a damn thing in the grand scheme. The tax imposed by Alaska probably did not have a significant effect on the price of gas since most of our oil and gas comes from overseas or from the Gulf of Mexico. Now search your soul. If, the largest 2 letter word in the English Language, a similar or greater tax was imposed by the Federal Government on all oil and gas production what would the effect on working class America be? Sen Obama has gone on record many times screaming from every mountain top he can scream from about putting a windfall profits tax on all oil companies. Does that sound like a solution to rising fuel costs or just another way for the Federal Government to garner funds to spend on whatever they spend it on
      To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Comment

Fair enough. I guess with this information in hand you are correct. But, huge but, does it mean a damn thing in the grand scheme. The tax imposed by Alaska probably did not have a significant effect on the price of gas since most of our oil and gas comes from overseas or from the Gulf of Mexico. Now search your soul. If, the largest 2 letter word in the English Language, a similar or greater tax was imposed by the Federal Government on all oil and gas production what would the effect on working class America be? Sen Obama has gone on record many times screaming from every mountain top he can scream from about putting a windfall profits tax on all oil companies. Does that sound like a solution to rising fuel costs or just another way for the Federal Government to garner funds to spend on whatever they spend it on
        I won't argue with you. Alaska is an anomoly in the fact that it produces more oil than it consumes and that it considers it's natural resources to belong to the citizens as opposed to the property owner. It's also my understanding that this bill also eliminated the state's $0.08/gallon fuel tax, which is saving Alaskans even more. Also, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've read somewhere that Alaska has no state-level income or sales taxes.

As I stated before, I don't think Alaska's tax is having much, if any impact on the price of oil. If we got most of our oil from there, I could believe it. But at the same time, I doubt we'd be paying $100/bbl. Regardless, it's a state issue and apparently the citizens of Alaska are pleased, going by the approval rating that hovers around 90%.

As far as I'm concerned, the Federal gov't has no business increasing any tax until congress learns to control their spending. Alaska has proven to be frugal under Palin, and I would hope she would bring that to the executive branch of the federal gov't.

Comment

• and on that we can all agree
          To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Comment

• Oil costs in US

I'm not sure how ownership of natural resources works in the US, but in Canada, the Provinces, and by extension, the people of the Provinces own all the natural resources of those Provinces. This includes oil and gas, timber, water, minerals etc. The province sells licenses on crown owned land to oil companies which gives them the right to explore and drill for oil and gas. If they find it, they then pay the Province a royalty or percentage based on what the oil companies sell their product for. This is about 25% but varies a lot depending on many factors. The royalty rate was just raised last year and was subject of quite a bit of moaning from oil companies, but its back to business as usual. If oil or gas is on privately owned land, some people who own the land receive the royalties, in most however, the oil companies only pay a yearly fee to the land owner for use of the surface of the land. The govt gets the royalty.
            Alberta has a pretty strong economy and overall, the resource money is managed fairly well. 25% of all income is invested into the Heritage Savings Trust Fund, which is set aside for times when oil runs out. The balance goes into yearly operating revenues and funds day to day operations as well as capital projects such as roads, schools, hospitals and other infrastructure. The Federal govt receives a slice of this as well in equalisation payments in which rich or "have" Provinces put in a share of their revenue which are in turn given out to "have not" Provinces. Here, one of the biggest budegetary costs is Healthcare as all Canada has Universal Health care which I realise the US doesn't. Its quite a valuable benefit to the everyday people.
            Its not perfect but it works not bad, maybe because we have a history of not electing lawyers as out leaders in Alberta. The present one is a farmer, the last one was a newscaster.

Comment

President Carter tried the windfall profits tax back in the 70's and it was a complete disaster. What came of it? Long lines, gas shortages, price increase (although not enormous) and rationing. I remember it very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                Just because one liberal paper gets it wrong doesn't make it a tax. Alaska sells their oil just like many of other nations do. ANd no Alaska is not a nation, they are just run like one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                  Finally, A reliable link. Although it isn't a windfall tax, just the standard tax

Comment

• Originally posted by FireLt1951 View Post
                    President Carter tried the windfall profits tax back in the 70's and it was a complete disaster. What came of it? Long lines, gas shortages, price increase (although not enormous) and rationing. I remember it very well.
                    I remember our VOl. FD lining up ni the dark at like 0200 in order to get gas from a benevolent gas stationowner in order not to attract huge lines of other people. I don't want to go back there again.
                    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
                      I remember our VOl. FD lining up ni the dark at like 0200 in order to get gas from a benevolent gas stationowner in order not to attract huge lines of other people. I don't want to go back there again.
                      Yes, I remember our department doing that as well. Helped that his son was our LT at the time.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                        Who do the Canadians, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Saudis all pass the cost on to? Is that a tax as well? How about the folks who sell hydro electric? Is that a tax?
                        It is for those citizens.

Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                        You keep grasping at straws. Remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
                        Not grasping at anything other than your inability to comprehend. I doubt you even own a clock so I wouldn't use that analogy.
                        They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

• cant help myself sometimes

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post

Not grasping at anything other than your inability to comprehend. I doubt you even own a clock so I wouldn't use that analogy.
                          Can't we all just get along. There is no need in attacking the intelligence of anyone here. I bet he does own a clock. and in about a half hour or so the little bird will come out and make noise

Comment

Can't we all just get along. There is no need in attacking the intelligence of anyone here. I bet he does own a clock. and in about a half hour or so the little bird will come out and make noise
                            Yup I do have one of those clocks, instead of saying cuckoo it says liberal. There just isn't any difference

Besides, attacking ones intelligence is what people who have no valid argument do.
                            Last edited by ScareCrow57; 09-05-2008, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scfire86 View Post

Still having trouble with complete thoughts and sentences I see.

But if one sells the commodity they own to the world it isn't a tax. For instance. The Bureau of Reclamation owns and operates the electrical generation facilities at Hoover Dam. This electricity is sold to the residents of Arizona, Nevada, and California. Is this a tax a swell. After all, if Alaskans selling thier oil is a tax then the U.S. selling it's electricity must also be a tax.

Comment

• Congress is back in session after its August recess, and debating energy is top priority. House Democrats will propose an energy bill that will include an expansion of offshore drilling, the item that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-OPEC) once regarded as a nonstarter to energy legislation. The bill will also include a “use it or lose it” provision to encourage oil companies to use the drilling leases they already have or return them to the public. Other provisions call for government oil-lease royalties to be invested in alternative energy technology and for tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. However, lest readers think Democrats are caving, the bill would retain the ban on offshore drilling within 50 miles of the coast if a state enacts such legislation or 100 miles if not, effectively keeping 18 billion barrels of oil and natural gas off limits. The bill would also rescind tax breaks for “Big Oil” and require oil companies to pay additional royalties for the privilege of drilling. That money would then be redistributed for renewable energy development.

A bill has been introduced in the House to repeal the District of Columbia’s ability to write its own gun laws, in deference to the recent Supreme Court ruling that found the District’s gun laws unconstitutional. According to The Washington Post, the bill would “repeal the D.C. ban on semiautomatic pistols and rifles; eliminate the city’s gun registration requirements; allow D.C. residents to purchase firearms in Virginia and Maryland; and abolish the regulation that guns at home be unloaded and safeguarded.” The Democrat leadership hoped to avoid handing the Republicans such a resounding legislative victory this close to the election, but at least 48 Demos support the new law because they represent districts that favor Second Amendment rights.

The Democrats have decided to abandon another vote on expanding the Children’s Health Insurance Program before the congressional recess. President Bush twice vetoed the bill because it would have added families to the tax-funded program who were quite capable of funding their own children’s health insurance. Democrats realized that they still do not have enough votes to override a veto, and there is not enough time to muster a fight this close to the recess. They plan to expand the program next year with what they expect to be an enlarged majority.
                                ----------------
                                From my email box.
                                Change We Can Believe In.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse