Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Chicken sh*t Nancy Pelosi!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=jsin925;975454]my pops worked for the irs and he would tell me that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes.

Really? I guess that the top 1% of taxpayers paying half of all personal income taxes collected is not enough? How much (dare I ask) is? Please enlighten me.

http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/indtaxst...=96981,00.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Considering that I make what equates to being the top 10% on my own (not including my wife's income) I would love for you, scfire, and Noz to tell me how much more I should fork out to the government?

As it has been said by many before, we do not have a taxation problem, we have a spending problem in this nation.

Originally posted by jsin925 View Post
    congress would always change the tax laws when the middle class would start to benefit from them. i guess at one point one could write off the interest one paid on credit cards, but when the middle class started obtaining credit cards that law flew off the books.
    Actually, no need to declare your credit card interest. It is no different than any other loan - since that is exactly what a credit card is - that you are given. Pay off your debts and save a ton more money instead of carrying a debt burden, harming yourself financially, and have more money to spend.

And there is more to it than that. I claim what is allowed by law, and since I paid just shy of $10,000 in student loan interest in 2007, I got a whopping deal on my taxes let me tell you. I got a whopping $2,500 in credit for my $10,000 out of pocket in interest alone.

the middle class (in my opinion) has a greater sense of dignity, morality and fidelity than the rich.
    Careful now, most of the members of Congress (now a majority Democrat) are multimillionaires.......Don't insult your Liberal friends. Because as liberals have made known - Democrats and Liberals have never, do no, and will never do any wrong.

And what exactly qualifies one as rich? How much do I have to make before I am considered "rich?" I do want to know, because I have never - and I do mean NEVER - heard any politician or person on the left (who all hate anyone with any financial resources) tell me who is really considered "rich."

the privatization of things is bad though.
    So the government should run hospitals? The government should run drug stores? Restaurants? Stores? Car manufacturers? Since privatization is bad, please explain to me how our nation operates?

at least things in the public sector are accountable to the public.
    Excuse me while I bust a gut.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

• Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
      Wow! Way to completely avoid the issue and my question. Good job!
      He has probably learned from you. Since you do not answer questions proposed to you.
      "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Comment

• Originally posted by jsin925 View Post
        hey, i don't like obama, nor do i like mccain. i'm just calling it like i see it. between those two, i don't care who wins. nothing will change. the rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer. both parties suck.
        You are right, both parties stink.

As for the rich getting richer, it is (partially) because they want to.

I grew up poor. Now I am considered "rich" apparently according to the IRS. Please go through my finances and tell me where?

The poor can get "rich" through the same methods others have. Hard work, education, drive, and patience. It is possible. Millions have done it in this nation since its founding.

But to use scfire's point, please tell me where there is a higher standard of living?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomcat1066 View Post
          In my mere 34 years of life, I've ridden the economic rollercoaster more than many people twice my age.

I was raised in a typical middle class life. My father was a cop, my mom a book keeper. I didn't have everything I wanted, but I had enough. My needs were always met, and some of my wants, so I really have no room to complain about my childhood.

As an adult however, I became the type of person people don't speak well of. I was never a criminal, but I didn't want to work. My wife enabled me to do that, but it was still my fault. We were dirt poor. Family members brought us groceries so we wouldn't starve. I can never repay those family members, because it was my fault we were there.

When my son was born however, I woke up. I stepped up and realized it was past time to be a man and take care of business. I got my butt to work. It wasn't much, just temp jobs mostly, but it paid the bills. I kept working hard, and moving forward. While I had spans where there was no income, it wasn't for lack of trying. I'll admit it too, it was frustrating during those times.

That hard work paid off. Today, I make more than both of my parents. I'm not particularly educated either. I've got some college, but no degree. I did this on pure hard work and doing a good job. Nothing more, nothing less.

To say that people can't get ahead in a free market economy is pure BS. No, I'm not a millioniare, but that was never my goal. My goal is to support my family, pay my bills, and be able to have a little fun now and then. If my slacker butt was able to get into a better life, then anyone can.

It has nothing to do with race, religion, gender, blood type, or anything else. It has to do with pure force of will. If you want it badly enough, you will achieve it. Period.
          Careful Tomcat - there are those on these boards and in politics who do not want to hear that you can/did something to overcome adversity without the government helping.

It is not good for their agenda.

I posted my experiences before - somewhat similar - and was belittled by tow people on here for being able to rise from being poor to being considered "rich" by the IRS.

How dare people better themselves. HOW DARE THEY!

Comment

• Originally posted by DaSharkie View Post
            Careful Tomcat - there are those on these boards and in politics who do not want to hear that you can/did something to overcome adversity without the government helping.

It is not good for their agenda.

I posted my experiences before - somewhat similar - and was belittled by tow people on here for being able to rise from being poor to being considered "rich" by the IRS.

How dare people better themselves. HOW DARE THEY!
            Yeah, I know people like that as well.

I really couldn't give less of a ***** what folks like that tend to think

I did it, I'm proud of it, and I refuse to accept that others can't do as well or better than I did. Frankly, they could probably do better than me if they want it. It isn't that hard.

Comment

If you think the price-fixing son of a bitches that run the oil companies are going to lower their prices after we pay through the nose for them to drill all those holes you want, you're crazier than I thought you were.
              Its not just the Oil Companies. OPEC will most assuredly raise their price (or lower their output) to account for any new supply and the price at the pump will stay relatively the same.

Also note that here pump prices have fallen 30-40 cents/gallon in the last week or so based purely on the debate on drilling and possible weather in the Gulf. If that's not a sign that speculation is a large part of the price, I don't know what is.
              So you call this your free country
              Tell me why it costs so much to live
              -3dd

Comment

• Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                Its not just the Oil Companies. OPEC will most assuredly raise their price (or lower their output) to account for any new supply and the price at the pump will stay relatively the same.

Also note that here pump prices have fallen 30-40 cents/gallon in the last week or so based purely on the debate on drilling and possible weather in the Gulf. If that's not a sign that speculation is a large part of the price, I don't know what is.
                The fall in oil prices can be directly attributed to the date when Pres. Bush announced he was lifting the ban on off shore drilling. Prices started their freefall the next day. It was not a coincidence.

The best way for us to deal with the OPEC issue is to utilize the resources we are sitting on and then have a National Day of Celebration. We can call it the "Kiss My *** OPEC Day".
                PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raughammer1 View Post
                  “Capitalism is the greatest system ever created for alleviating general human misery, and yet it breeds ingratitude. People ask, ‘Why is there poverty in the world?’ It’s a silly question. Poverty is the default human condition... The interesting question isn’t ‘Why is there poverty?’ It’s ‘Why is there wealth?’ Or: ‘Why is there prosperity here but not there?’ At the end of the day, the first answer is capitalism, rightly understood. That is to say: free markets, private property, the spirit of entrepreneurialism and the conviction that the fruits of your labors are your own... In large measure our wealth isn’t the product of capitalism, it is capitalism. And yet we hate it. Leaving religion out of it, no idea has given more to humanity. The average working-class person today is richer, in real terms, than the average prince or potentate of 300 years ago. His food is better, his life longer, his health better, his menu of entertainments vastly more diverse, his toilette infinitely more civilized. And yet we constantly hear how cruel capitalism is while this collectivism or that is more loving because, unlike capitalism, collectivism is about the group, not the individual... Meanwhile, billions have ridden capitalism out of poverty. And yet the children of capitalism still whine.” —Jonah Goldberg
                  And a lot of that is due via things like the Sherman Anti Trust Act, Pure Food and Drug Act, and Fail Labor Standards Act. You know.....government. The business community fought tough and nail against the abolition of child labor and has continually fought against issues regarding workplace safety. Both of those are in place and the world hasn't come to an end.

Capitalism is a great engine of progress and its own worst enemy. It’s so good at pulling money out of the goose that lays the golden egg that it’ll eventually destroy it. The current financial mess is a good example. Oil companies making these levels of profit while the rest of the economy founders ( and indeed where those profits and the prices that create them are a major contributor to the foundering), is not just supply and demand doing its Godlike Adam Smith work. It’s exploitation of the highest order. The good of the larger society demands that the problem be at least examined, if not corrective action of some sort (and note that I don’t claim to be bright enough to know what that action might be). I just know that when I’m being screwed over,whether by governmental overreaching or by corporate greed, I have options in a free society to do something other than accept my fate.
                  Last edited by scfire86; 08-06-2008, 10:20 AM.
                  They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
                    The best way for us to deal with the OPEC issue is to utilize the resources we are sitting on and then have a National Day of Celebration. We can call it the "Kiss My *** OPEC Day".
                    I would go one step further and start developing renewal energy sources. One of the few things I did like about the Carter Administration was his vision of putting that effort in place. Most likely he was motivated by having endured two manufactured oil shortages during the 70's.

It was abandoned when Reagan took office (with a Dem congress) and I believe we are dealing with the ramifications of that decision now.
                    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                      I would go one step further and start developing renewal energy sources. One of the few things I did like about the Carter Administration was his vision of putting that effort in place. Most likely he was motivated by having endured two manufactured oil shortages during the 70's.

It was abandoned when Reagan took office (with a Dem congress) and I believe we are dealing with the ramifications of that decision now.
                      I'm not sure exactly what you mean by renewable energy sources. But I would 100% agree that we should be looking towards an expansion of wind power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), nuclear power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), clean coal power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), solar power (I think they might be OK with that) and natural gas, especially in vehicles (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that).

Bio fuels and ethanol are not going to cut it. People are really not going to stand much longer for a fuel source that is interrupting the food supply and raising havoc with prices.
                      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsin925 View Post
                        please watch the videos then form your opinion.
                        This makes no sense. So, if I take a video of me giving you my opinion, would you consider that gospel?

Because you sure are buying into this horsehockey.

Read the law.
                        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
                          I'm not sure exactly what you mean by renewable energy sources. But I would 100% agree that we should be looking towards an expansion of wind power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), nuclear power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), clean coal power (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that), solar power (I think they might be OK with that) and natural gas, especially in vehicles (Oh wait, the Dems don't like that).

Bio fuels and ethanol are not going to cut it. People are really not going to stand much longer for a fuel source that is interrupting the food supply and raising havoc with prices.
                          When they realize how much "open space" is required for any reasonable amount of solar electric generation with today's technology, they will be opposed to that too.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Riiiiight...just drill here, there and everywhere, and watch those prices at the pump fall. Why, we should just drill a hole every ten feet all over every wildlife refuge in the world. Screw the animals and the environment. Exxon still hasn't paid for the 1989 Valdez incident that is still poisoning the land and ocean...and that's not even close to the size of numerous other spills. I'll bet those compassionate oil companies will have the price of gasoline back down to 65 cents a gallon in no time! Hell, let's just pay for it ourselves...to hell with the "free market" you guys rant about all the time. Let's just give them billions of our taxpayer dollars so they can continue to get filthy rich raping the earth for a buck. No need for regulation...these guys always have the best interests of the little guy at heart! I mean, Exxon Mobile only raked in a mere 15 billion this quarter. Surely we can help out these struggling companies a little, right? I mean, why invest one thin dime in alternative energy sources; the oil will last forever!

If you think the price-fixing son of a bitches that run the oil companies are going to lower their prices after we pay through the nose for them to drill all those holes you want, you're crazier than I thought you were.

Wow, did they shortchange you at the gas station this morning or what?

I never said to not explore alternative means, explore all you want! However, RIGHT NOW, we need oil and we need gasoline. There is no expectation that this will change anytime soon.

In addition, the only people you and your libbie tree-hugging friends are hurting are the working class of this country who will have to make some TOUGH decisions this winter. This is why the democrats (except the out of touch Pelosi) are now backpedaling furiously on the off-shore drilling issue.

How would you rein in these heartless robber baron oil companies?

I do like the idea of controlling the speculation on oil. Change it to match speculation of other commodities where the speculators must have the capital up front to participate. I read an article that said just doing this would drop the price per gallon by half.
                            Last edited by ChiefKN; 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM.
                            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• Originally posted by DaSharkie View Post
                              He has probably learned from you. Since you do not answer questions proposed to you.
                              Correct, i've adopted the hit and run posting technique.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                                I never said to not explore alternative means, explore all you want! However, RIGHT NOW, we need oil and we need gasoline. There is no expectation that this will change anytime soon.
                                I gotta agree with you here Chief. Viable alternative fuel sources are, at least, a decade off from what I recall. While I'd love to go straight to alternative fuel sources right now, they just aren't ready for prime time. In the mean time, we need more oil now!

FWIW, I don't like the idea of off shore drilling or drilling in wildlife preserves, but we need the fuel now. Just kick alternative fuel developement into overdrive and make it so we can cap the wells for the next thousand years early and move on.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X