Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Once upon a time......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutus passed her a napkin and continued, "well, like I was saying, just because they say they don't have anything in their pouches, DON'T believe it!" Benard was only slightly amused. He had delt with the platypuss platoon, and knew that they were prone to pranks. Unrully as they were, they were still a skilled fighting force. Benard found himself feeling jealous because Brutus had passed Miss Kitty the napkin, instead of himself. He knew better, but still, his thoughts of all the time Brutus and her had spent together made him uncomfortable. Changing the subject, Benard looked at Miss Kitty and asked her how she would like to go for a walk after lunch. She looked surprised, turning to Brutus, and then back to Benard. Brutus looked at the two, and said, "Go on, you two kids, you need some time together." Brutus could see relief in Benard's eyes. After they had finished their plates, the trio left the cafeteria, where Brutus asked to be excused. Benard offered Brutus his stateroom, to which Brutus eagerly accepted. "It's time for this squirrel to get some quality sleep!" said Brutus, "Ya'll behave!" His jovial reply was followed with a sly glance at the odd couple. Benard led Miss Kitty around the Penguin Defender ship. The two were engaged in small talk. Benard's confidence in his relationship with Miss Kitty was strong, but he still wondered where Brutus fit into the situation. Finally, Miss Kitty, seeing Benard's mind was wandering, asked him, "Ok, bird, what's up?" She always called Benard, "bird" when she knew something was troubling him. It was one of those friendly jabs to get his attention. "Miss Kitty, there is so much going on right now. The cows have gotten stronger, even after the success of our earlier strikes. I thought I had lost you, but then you returned. I guess I just feel overwhelmed. You seem so at ease with Brutus around.." She stopped him right there. "You silly bird," she laughed, "you're jealous!" Benard wasn't amused. "Brutus is like a brother. That's it. He would give his life for me, but that's because of our history together. I would do the same for him. He is a true friend." Benard stood quietly. Miss Kitty glared at him. "Do you really think that I would..." Her anger grew before she could finish her sentence. Benard knew he had misjudged the relationship between this beautiful cat and that squirrel. Miss Kitty threw Benard against the wall. He didn't know what to do. Fear paralyzed him. He closed his eyes and braced himself for the hit that he knew he deserved. To his surprise, a soft furry whisker brushed past his beak, and he felt the warm, tender kiss that landed softly on the side of his face. "Benard, grow up." Miss Kitty knew that Benard had been under to much stress, and she didn't want to escalate the situation. "Miss Kitty...Denise, I'm sor.." She interupted him with another kiss. Then she turned to him and said, "Sometimes, I think you forget that I love you." Benard hadn't heard those words in a long time. "I love you, too." The couple stood in the corridor holding each other. Suddenly, Benard felt a single sharp claw poking into his side, he froze in fear. Miss Kitty began laughing, "and don't call me Denise in public!" The two spent the rest of the afternoon together talking like couples do. They returned to Benard's stateroom to find Brutus curled up in a chair, sound asleep. Benard whispered to Miss Kitty, "you know, he is kinda cute... when he's asleep!" Miss Kitty laughed so loud that Brutus awoke with a jolt. "What tha.." the sleepy squirrel replied as he rubbed his eyes. "What'd I miss?" Brutus finally asked when he realized that the two were standing there. "Not much, my friend, not much," replied Benard.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Comment

• Norman awoke from a deep sleep. He had earned the rest after his all-nighter that he had pulled trying to get his matter transport working. He felt refreshed and unusually bright. He took a quick shower, dressed, then grabbed a cup of coffee and a honeybun. He settled into the comfort of his chair in front of the computer at his station in the ship. After sharpening a few pencils and eating the pastry, he began to think about his transporter. He knew he could move small objects short distances, but he was concerned about moving more complex objects over long distances. More importantly, he was having concerns about the clarity of the radio signals when the object was supposed to be reanimated. The buffer system he had created was actually a large memory computer system that collected the data from each molecule, stored it during the radio transmission, and then reorganized it using the radio frequency to arrange it. Norman decided that he should add to the capacity of the system. More memory is always better when you are trying to move copious amounts of data. After a few hours of drawing, and fiddling with his buffer box, he was ready for a test. He was about to send another desk object across the room, when he remembered that his last test caused alarms all over the ship. He summoned his commander, one of Benard's Security Generals. General Stumpart was still leary of Norman's device. He didn't appreciate the the little "boo" joke from Norman's last test. When Norman called for him, he was a little more relieved that he wouldn't be the butt of this test. Standing at Norman's desk, he asked Norman about the test that was about to take place. Norman replied, "Sir, at first I wanted to try sending a larger object from one side of the ship to the other, but after reconfiguring my buffer, I think we can be a little more ambitious with the next test. How would you like to send somebody to another ship?" Stumpart was less than ecstatic. "No, Norman. We cannot start zipping folks across who knows what to wherever. We need a proper test." Norman thought for a moment, "Sir, wait here, I'll be right back." With that, Norman ran to one of the storage closets where many of his small inventions and projects were stored. He returned with a small box. "What's in the box?" Stumpart asked. Norman proudly opened the box to reveal what appeared to be a small horse fly. "Norman, what are you doing raising insects on this ship?" Norman smiled, "Sir, this is a robotic spy bug. It has transmit capabilities with built in camera and microphone. I was thinking about sending it out with the transport, and using it to report back from that location." General Stumpart agreed. If the spy bug could transmit an image back from a location that it was transported, then larger tests could be tried. Norman eagerly placed the bug on a spot on his workbench beside his desk. Using his computer, he located the bug with the buffer and selected it for transport. Before sending it, he also engaged the camera on the bug and set up a display box on his screen. The bug was looking at Norman's coffee cup. "Sir, where do you want it to go?" Without thinking, Stumpart mentioned how nice one of those bugs would be on the cow's ship. "Done," said Norman. Before Stumpart could stop him, Norman selected the desitnation, and ZIP. The bug disappeared in a blue glow. The view on the screen of the bug's camera showed a blue light, then darkness. Stumpart was horrified. "Norman, I didn't mean for you to send it to them! What if they detected the spy? What actions will they take?" Norman was confident in the steath of his spy bug. "Sir, I doubt they will notice a fly on the wall, besides, you wanted a 'real' test." General Stumpart was about to lay into Norman about breaking the protocall of unauthorized missions against the enemy when on the screen, the darkness of the bug's camera turned into a blue glow. Suddenly the screen lit up with images of a metallic surface. Norman engaged the bug with a program that gave him flight control. On the screen, the camera showed corridors of what looked like stainless steel. Norman piloted the bug to the top of the corridor, where he stationed the spy bug into a corner looking down the walkway. Directly beside the bug, an incandescent light source glowed softly. General Stumpart was enthralled with the plain image. "Norman, where is it?" Norman replied, "Sir, the telemetry should have placed it near the last transmission site from the Cow Mothership. We should be near their transport room." Suddenly, a bipedal cow walked past the bug. He was much smaller than the humacow warriors, but was still similar in biological make up. The DNA clone mix appeared to have cow features on a human style frame. Human style hands were on human style arms, but the familar cow head, torso and legs remained. This must have been some of their scientific clones that were working on building their weapon systems and esclating the clone research. The ungainly creature was wearing a white lab coat. General Stumpart and Norman watched the screen of the computer monitor like a child stares at cartoons on Saturday morning. There was no doubt that the spy bug had arrived on the Cow Mothership, but the question was, had it been detected??

Comment

• Melba awoke to the sound of thunder. She was unaccustomed to the sounds of a rain storm after so many years in the desert. It was still dark outside, but the flashes of lightning danced through her bedroom window and performed a beautiful waltz across the door on the opposite wall. She was excited to be in the United States again. It had been years since she attended cooking school. Now, here she was, lying in a bed at a safe house with rain pelting the glass window. She was supposed to meet with some of the chemist that were working to develope a better method of fighting the Cow cloned monsters. It had become way to obvious that simply spraying them with a commercial meat tenderizer to kill them could easily be defeated if the cows wore rubber suits. A more ingenious device needed to be built. Perhaps it was a magic bullet, laced with the tenderizer's agents that worked against the cow clones. Nobody was sure, but because Melba had been the one to try it first, she was the closest thing to an expert. She rolled over on her side, and tried to go back to sleep. The storm outside was drifting away, and soon the morning sun would be trying to make it's debut. Melba drifted back to sleep. In her dreams she would relive her happiest moments. Oddly enough, she would dream of her camel friend, Lucky, and the bond they shared in their escape from Iran. She would see Lucky in the morning. Melba had demanded that her friend travel with her, and the Penguin Defenders allowed it. In this world, animals and humans had to work together. It was the only way to save the Earth from the Cows.

Comment

• Miss Kitty and Brutus had been working together on some maneuvers in the weightless chambers aboard the Penguin Defender ship. Even the most simple suggestions of movement turned into a major chore for the two experienced warriors. Their tact and cunning couldn't make up for the uncontrolled spinning and twirling that the zero gravity provided little resistance to. Frustration was apparent when Benard checked in on their progress. Miss Kitty was attempting to climb from a mock ship hatch into an open hatch that resembled the garbage shaft on the Cow's mothership. Every move would go without a hitch until she let go of the last hand rail, and tried to push herself towards the shaft. The drag of a small bag of tools would cause her tragectory to veer off from her intended destination. In an attempt to turn mid-flight, the zero gravity simulations ended with her tangled in the rope attached to the bag. She sneered a the laughter coming from behind the observation window. Her sneers turned to a smile once she realized Benard was the one laughing. "Ok, hotshot, you try it," was her only reply. Benard mused at the idea, but he, too, would fall victim to the woes of weightlessness. Penguins weren't designed to be weightless. The training officer decided it would be best to take a break and review the video from the attempts in order to discuss a new strategy.
          Meanwhile, Norman was still playing with his spy drone aboard the Cow ship. He moved it along the corridor towards a doorway. Through his monitor he could see that the cows, with all their advancements, still would soil their walkways with their defication. Suddenly, the audio sensor picked up an alarming noise. Norman turned the spy fly around to zero in on its source. A robotic sweeper was moving slowly down the corridor, cleaning up the dung heaps and leaving a polished white surface behind. Norman was impressed. Although they were still uncivilized in their manner, they had the technology to clean up behind themselves. Suddenly, the robotic sweeper paused in its path. Norman watched his monitor in quiet repose. The robot opened a small trap door on its frame. A pencil shaped cylinder emerged. The pencil seemed to point directly at the spy fly drone. Suddenly a bright red light filled the monitor. Normans drone quit sending data, and the screen went blank on the monitor. The audio and video feeds had ended. Norman could only theorize in horror that the robot sweeper must have fried his fly. Perhaps it was designed to destroy unwanted bugs on the Cow's ship. Or worse, maybe it had detected the spy. Norman didn't know for sure, but he was obligated to inform the Penguin Commander. Benard was paged on the intercomm, as Norman prepared his verbal report. Norman feared that the spy drone test may have compromised the Penguin Defender ship's location to any Cow detection devices. Benard would be furious with him since he hadn't requested permission for sending the drone. Norman was nervous, and silently awaited Bernards arrival.

Comment

• Continuum

Norman was nervous, and silently awaited Bernards arrival...

After awaiting what seemed like an eternity, Norman makes the biggest decision of his life. "I'm so fracking sick and tired of being the follower, not the leader. Screw this, screw this mission, I'm taking over!!!! Death to all bovine! Humanity shall prevail! Norman then does the impossible: he jumps into the air, sailing across the room right into the captain's seat. Norman screams in pain, as he just figured out he miscalculated the jump. You see, Norman wasn't the best and brightest at math. In fact, he was the worst math student all four years in high school. He even barely graduated from high school. Positioning himself in his seat, his precious jewels damaged from impact, Norman starts to feel his courage slowly slipping out of him. Damn! What happened to my adrenaline rush?! Then he hears this: "You must of checked it out at the door." Norman slowly turns around, his netherregion still painful, and his eyes get all wide. "No, not you!" Norman gasps. Coquette, the genetically-altered sheep, looks up from her screen. "Yes, my darlin', I am here." Bernard asked me to watch over you while he was away manning the mother ship. "But I don't understand." Norman cries out. "You are carrying the last known strand of mad cow's disease." Coquette slowly rises from her seat, and says "Excuse me! I am carrying Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, BSE for short, thank you very much!" Norman starts backing away a little, scooting his chair, but realizes that it's bolted to the ground. "You make it sound like a disease!" Coquette cries. "But it IS A DISEASE, Coquette!" Norman squeels. "Fine then Norman! We'll call it what you want to call it. You have always wanted to have your way with everyone, and especially me. But you will never have me. I pity the fool you are! I am no state fair prize! I'm better than that! I've had better men than you for dinner!" Coquette begins to blush deep red and clears her throat. She then tries to change the subject. Norman than interrupts... "Is that how you got the, mad c... errr BSE?" He looks at Coquette with some concern on his face. "Or was it from eating wild duck? I know how much you love that gamey meaty tasting entree with the wild rice off to the side, and a bottle of chianti to wash it all down. Plus, you never ask for side of veggies, you hate veggies!" Coquette interrupts Norman. "I do love veggies! I eat more than my fair share of grass daily. Gives me all the vitamins I need for my body. It really does a body good. "See! I'll show you just what I mean, Norman." Coquette raises up her head to show Norman her green mustache. "Plus, a time or two, I've eaten fava beans, which really goes well with that bottle of chianti." Norman nods in agreement. Coqette's look quickly changes on her face and she stares at Norman.
            Last edited by GaPeach933; 08-08-2008, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• If I didn't know better, I'd say some people actually read this thread...

Comment

• Melba awoke to a room bright with sunshine. The rainstorm from the early predawn had long since passed. Eagerly, she gathered herself together in preparation for the day. She didn't know what was expected from her by the scientist working on the chemical defenses and weapons which they hoped to use on the Humacows. Melba headed outside of the small farmhouse, into a make-shift barn. Inside, in normal times, it would have been the resting place for a farmers horse and goats. Instead, in one lone stall, Lucky was resting upon his hauches. He lazily chewed at the oats that Melba provided him. He wasn't used to oats, but the taste somehow interested him, although he really wished he could have one of the sweet red apples that the Penguin defenders had given him on the transport to the farm. After checking with Lucky, Melba returned to the house to talk with the hosts. Jan and Frank had lived on the farm since they were married, twenty plus years ago. During the recent animal revolt by the cows and chickens, they had taken refuge in an antique atomic bomb shelter that had been built by Frank's family in the early '50s. For years, the locals wondered why Frank Sr. used so much concrete. Now, the shelter was being used as a small, isolated lab for the few remaining scientist that had escaped the waves of cow and chicken revolts. Frank despised chickens, and he also never had much use for cows. He disliked the way the animals never appreciated the hard work and effort that it took to keep them happy. Egg farming, and dairy products were never his favorite endeavors. Frank, instead, had invested in building a successful wool business on his family's land. Sheep were docile, and usually mild tempered. During the attacks, the sheep were overlooked because of their non-threatning posture. Frank had opened the gates of his pastures to give the sheep freedom, yet they had remained loyal to their "human family." The sheep took great self pride in seeing their wool used for clothing on the humans. They often mused about the wild colors and funny patterns that would adorn their once brilliant white wool. Now, the sheep stood fast, watching the pastures of their raising, and standing guard against any other invasion. Many sheep had eyeballed Lucky when he landed in the Penguin ship. It was a curiosity for them to see a camel.
                When Melba had made her way into the house, she found that Jan had cooked a full country style breakfast, complete with eggs, steak and biscuits. Jan smiled at her work. "It's alright, we have a huge freezer in the shelter. These are fresh, though. Scouts from those evil animals.." Melba thanked Jan for her hospitality. She appreciated the food. Being a cook herself, she was impressed at the flavor of the simple meal. The best part was the homemade marmalade. It was a mix of blackberry and orange, straight from Frank's Family farm.
                Soon, Melba would find herself deep underground. Beside the farm house, a small concrete well cover had revealed itself to be a stairway into a sloping shaft. Behind a huge metal door, another tunnel, brightly lit with industrial style flourescent lights, led downward at a gentle slope to another doorway. Melba's thoughts raced as she kept walking down into the shelter. The structure rivaled many of the bomb shelters that she had been in during her service to diplomats. Finally, she reached the doorway to the main chamber. There were guards posted at the entryway. As they opened the doorway, Melba stood with wide eyes. A beautifully decorated room, complete with wood panels and hand woven wool rugs welcomed her into the bunker. A small man in a white coat met her at the entryway. "Welcome, Melba! We've been expecting you!" The words were somewhat cold, but the expression showed joy.

Comment

• not a bump, just adding "illustration"

*runs for cover*
                  Last edited by firecat1; 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Is this thing on?

Comment

• Originally posted by EastKyFF
                      Check, check, check one, hello? Hello?
                      Is anybody out there? Take the red pill to stay in Wonderland. I thought I saw a wabbit! Too much pepper makes me sneeze. I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet. Why are there white crayons? Goodbye sweet hat.

Comment

• Dang-it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a musician..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90