Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

Greg Knight, News 4

This afternoon we received a call from a viewer who said a business near downtown Reno was flying a Mexican flag above an American flag... which is in fact illegal.

This, after photos and comments about the flag were posted on Craigslist this morning. When we were able to have a photographer go and check everything out we found the story to be true.

It also didn t take long before the situation provoked a strong reaction. We are now going to show you , unedited, what happened. Click on the video to see what happened.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7156726
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

LMAO...did you see the look on the owners face...lmao...He looked confused and scared at the same time...lmao..."whats he doing...Wow, thats a big knife. do I stop him or let him do it? There's that knife again! I'll wait till he's done"...lmao

But in all seriousness pretty sure the guy with the knife should have at least told the mexican guy what he was doing before he did it, instead of showing off in front of the camera. I'm sure the owner would have corrected the flags. Just an assumption though.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Comment

I wonder if the Mexican guy knew what he was doing was against the law or even being disrespectful ? I think someone should have approached him and spoke with him first. If all else fails then do what you have to do. I just think that vet was also disrespectful to that Mexican flag. IMO I always respect all peoples flags the same I would my own.
      ******=================
      ******================
      ******=================
      ******================
      =======================
      =======================
      =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Originally posted by BFDNJFF View Post
        I wonder if the Mexican guy knew what he was doing was against the law or even being disrespectful ? I think someone should have approached him and spoke with him first. If all else fails then do what you have to do. I just think that vet was also disrespectful to that Mexican flag. IMO I always respect all peoples flags the same I would my own.
        Good points all. The guy doing the cutting sounds like a cross between Larry the Cable Guy and Billy Bob Thornton's character in Sling Blade.
        They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

The link isn't working at the moment...

Would someone care to summarize the story and explain exactly what was illegal about it?

Nevermind. I found the video. The only thing illegal was the ignorant moron who vandalized someone else's property.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7162515
          Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM. Reason: Added URL
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by BFDNJFF View Post
            It wasn't illegal, just against the code. It was certainly disrespectful!!

Comment

The video link up top is now not working so I found it online

******=================
              ******================
              ******=================
              ******================
              =======================
              =======================
              =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

The code on how to display the American flag was read into law years ago.So,yes,it is illegal to fly flags of other nations above the American flag.
                It's also an insult to the host nation if you fly your flag above the flag of the nation that you are in.
                Mexicans are supposed to be passionate about being insulted so I figure that guy knew what he was doing when he hoisted colors that morning.

Originally posted by HotTrotter View Post
                It wasn't illegal, just against the code. It was certainly disrespectful!!

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
                  The code on how to display the American flag was read into law years ago.
                  I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look it up. The US Flag Code sets out a suggested standard for display and use of the flag. You'll notice it's liberally sprinkled with the keyword "should" (suggested) rather than "shall" (required).

So,yes,it is illegal to fly flags of other nations above the American flag.
                  A breach of etiquette? Yes. Disrespectful? Only if it's intentional. Illegal? No.

Mexicans are supposed to be passionate about being insulted so I figure that guy knew what he was doing when he hoisted colors that morning.
                  Throwing in a little bigotry, too?

The owner of the flags in question is an American, BTW.

UPDATE:

Nevada ACLU Releases Statement on Mexican Flag Flying Over American Flag

The ACLU of Nevada is concerned about recent media reports that it is "illegal" to fly foreign flags over the U.S. flag.

While there is indeed a federal law regulating the display of the U.S. flag, that law is merely advisory and simply codifies standard government practice in displaying the American flag.

Several federal courts have examined this law and held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced....

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7163998
                  Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: Added UPDATE
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                    I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look it up. The US Flag Code sets out a suggested standard for display and use of the flag. You'll notice it's liberally sprinkled with the keyword "should" (suggested) rather than "shall" (required).

A breach of etiquette? Yes. Disrespectful? Only if it's intentional. Illegal? No.

Throwing in a little bigotry, too?

The owner of the flags in question is an American, BTW.

UPDATE:
                    As much as I was offended by what transpired there on both parties behalf technicially the only one breaking the law was the man that cut the flag down. I would have asked the store owner to please fix them first and if he refused I too would have broken the law. I understand the passion the vet has and am too proud to be a vet, but as part of the military we were taught to attempt diplomatic avenues first, but also to Protect and Defend the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic. I took that oath seriously and was never released from it even when I was Honerably Discharged from the service. There was alternative ways to have handled the situation, But I also spoke to a relative that was there prior to the filming and she said the owner was asked to fix it and did refuse. That is why he was standing out there when that all transpired, the vet warned him if he(store owner) did not fix it then he(vet) would. So in essence the vet did what I would have done , ask him to fix it and if he refused then do it myself and take my chances. I would rather defend and/or explain my actions then to try to defend a non action, or ask permission and wait to right a wrong.
                    Imagine having done nothing. Could you live with that?
                    If so, how does it feel to have pride in nothing?

And DeputyMarshal is correct on all counts for that post.
                    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Comment

Originally posted by ghost62 View Post
                      Imagine having done nothing. Could you live with that?
                      Yes.

If so, how does it feel to have pride in nothing?
                      I have quite a bit of pride in America and being an American. Getting worked up over a piece of cloth that is probably made in China isn't something I would get in a fight over.
                      They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

as part of the military we were taught to attempt diplomatic avenues first, but also to Protect and Defend the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic. I took that oath seriously and was never released from it even when I was Honerably Discharged from the service.
                        Thank you for speaking up as a veteran.

First of all, I'm not defending the flag owner's actions. I have no way to know if his actions were intentional or just ignorance of proper etiquette and respect for the US flag. In the end, that doesn't really matter anyway.

Let me suggest to you that protecting the Constitution includes protecting the Bill of Rights. The man who cut the flag down was blatantly infringing on the flag owner's 1st Amendment rights. One of the hallmarks of the American Constitution is that it protects everybody's rights -- including the flag owner's in this case. When the veteran in the video cut down that flag (and then stole it) he was in direct violation of his oath to protect the Constitution. He shamed himself and, by association, other veterans.

I don't know if he acting out of ignorance either but he was clearly in the wrong no matter how pure his intentions may have been. It's a shame that he apparently never learned what he was really protecting in the military.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                          Yes.

I have quite a bit of pride in America and being an American. Getting worked up over a piece of cloth that is probably made in China isn't something I would get in a fight over.
                          Sir, it is more than a piece of cloth!!! It is a symbol of this great land and everything it stands for. When you put the stinking Mexican flag over the American flag while on American soil you are showing a great deal of disrespect for every veteran who fought for our freedoms. What is even more disgusting is the reason the POS was flying the Mexican flag in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by HotTrotter View Post
                            Sir, it is more than a piece of cloth!!! It is a symbol of this great land and everything it stands for.
                            Blah blah blah. Principles are worth fighting over. Like Freedom of Speech and Assembly (1st Ammendment), rights to privacy (4th Ammendment) etc. Symbols are not. One day if you're lucky you'll be able to discern the difference.

The GOP is currently in such disarray I'm expecting yet another lame attempt to outlaw flag burning any day.
                            Last edited by scfire86; 10-04-2007, 12:22 AM.

Comment

From another blog about this issue....

"Today you argue the flag is only piece of cloth with geometric shapes (or a symbol, if you will).

Tomorrow someone may say the Statue of Liberty and Liberty Bell are just meaningless pieces of metal.

After that someone will argue that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are just meaningless words and a worthless piece of parchment.

I am not saying you are doing it. But we do need to be careful how easily we consign our symbols to the trash heap because once they lose value, it is immensely difficult to regain their value."

That being said, DM is right.
                              Be safe y'all!
                              IACOJ Animal Control
                              Ladder 8
                              "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse