Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any ideas for sights in Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for sights in Alaska?

My wife and I will be taking an Alaskan cruise next month and was just wondering if anyone has any suggested sights to see. We fly into Anchorage and the next day the ship leaves and we end up in Vancouver....... Can't remember where all of the stops are.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

The lovely Mrs. Gonz and I went on an Alaskan cruise in September 2005. Ther are so many shore excursions, quaint shops and such to spend lots of money in etc. there are way too many to list. We did the following on our cruise

Skagway: take the White Pass ansd Yukon scenic railway tour... breathtaking scenery and wildlife.

Juneau: you have to visit the Red Dog Saloon... sawdust on the floor, Phineas T. Poon playing piano for your entertainment, excellent food and drink!

Take the trip to Mendenhall glacier. Thwe salmon hathcery tour is interseting, you can see seals right near rhe fish ladders looking for a meal!

Ketchikan: The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show and Saxman Native village.

Our cruise made a stop in Victoria, where wifey and I met Pfire 23 (Jenn) and Respect from Calgary (Sher). We went to the Irish Times Pub on Government Street..excellent food and drink!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Chief!!
      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
      IACOJ

Comment

hmmmmmmmmm

Just might have to do a day trip to Van next month to meet 77 and the new Mrs. 77

Hey Brian, if you PM me your travel details, I'll see if a meeting of crust is workable, based on your flight time out and all that. If we can't meet up, but you have some time between the time the cruise ship throws you off and your flight home, I can suggest some things to do (Granville Island, Stanley Park, Kits (Kitsilano) Beach, that sort of thing).

Too bad your cruise doesn't stop in Victoria! It was great meeting Ron & Trish! We met them coming off the ship, went for a drive to show them some of the sights and then, like Ron said, had dinner and a nice visit.
        September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
        IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
        Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Ice, look for Ice.

It should be the white stuff.
          Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
          Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Thanks, Sheri! I'll email you the itenerary tomorrow....... It would be nice if we could meet up!

Kiwi, I was actually expecting something like that for you. Glad you didn't let me down!

Any idea on what to expect for weather?
            IACOJ

Comment

Anything and everything!

LMFAO!!!

We just broke 2 records in July .... the past 6 days it has rained every day, which broke the "consecutive days of rain in July" record, and in the 2 weeks prior to that we enjoyed temps of 25C to 36.3C, which beat the all time record high for July 10 I think it was.

So take your pick, wait 5 minutes and it will change.

The cruise ship site should have a "suggestions of what to pack" based on the destination of your cruise. If not, let me know and I'll give you a few hints.

Well, unless Ron beats me to it LOL. He'll be speaking from experience, after all.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Recommendations

HI, sorry to but in on the topic, but I am getting married on OCT 12 this year and we are not doing a big wedding, we both want to go on the Alaska curise thing instead, likey the following year. Could you give us tips or recommends on:

Which curise line is best?

Best Time of Year?

Which ports to make sure we hit?

Any pit falls to watch out for?

Thanks, Stay safe

Chief 7
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by firenresq77 View Post
                  My wife and I will be taking an Alaskan cruise next month and was just wondering if anyone has any suggested sights to see. We fly into Anchorage and the next day the ship leaves and we end up in Vancouver....... Can't remember where all of the stops are.........
                  If you have a day in Anchorage, check at the "log cabin" visitor information center downtown, tell them how much time you have and what you'd like to do. If you have a chance to rent a car, there are numerous short (part-day) hikes in the mountains around Anchorage, with excellent views, and you can still knock around downtown and hit the gift shops and whatnot. Or you could walk along the Coastal Trail a bit without leaving town. There are some pretty good places to eat; the Glacier (micro)Brewery has good food and service, but you can have a long wait during tourist season. Simon and Seafort's (sp?) downtown is very good if you're looking for a tony dinner.

In Juneau, you might try to catch the Gold Creek salmon bake (http://www.juneau-guide.com/trSalmonBake.htm). It's next to the old gold mine so you can do a little exploring and work up your appetite. Fresh grilled salmon with butter and brown sugar glaze, fresh sourdough bread, cold lemonade and beer, yum. Did I say beer? Be sure to try the Alaskan Amber - brewed in Juneau.

If you get to Sitka, there are lots of interesting historic buildings - Sitka was the Russian capital of Alaska before it became part of the U.S. Last time I was there (a long time ago) there was a really interesting store with very old maps and such (well, I like that sort of thing).

And of course, be on the lookout for the wildlife, and enjoy.

Comment

watch out for bears...
                    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Originally posted by bferris01 View Post
                      HI, sorry to but in on the topic, but I am getting married on OCT 12 this year and we are not doing a big wedding, we both want to go on the Alaska curise thing instead, likey the following year. Could you give us tips or recommends on:

Which curise line is best?

Best Time of Year?

Which ports to make sure we hit?

Any pit falls to watch out for?

Thanks, Stay safe

Chief 7
                      Brian
                      Brian,

I can't tell you anything about the cruise ships, but you might want to consider the AK Marine Highway (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/) ferries. You can catch one from Seattle. The bigger ones have cabins and restaurants. They are not as fancy as cruise ships, certainly, and the schedule may or may not suit you, but it's a potentially cheaper option - you'll have to comparison-shop - with a bit more of a "frontier" feel.

As far as your other questions, later in the summer - late July or August - is a good bet, as the bugs have declined somewhat, but you'll need to make your plans early. One thing I didn't mention is Denali (http://www.nps.gov/dena/)- if you have a chance to go, do it. You can take the train from Anchorage and stay in a hotel or camp near the park. There are buses that take you back into the park proper (car travel is restricted), and the drivers are very knowledgeable guides.

Congratulation on your upcoming nuptials!
                      Last edited by sts060; 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

The best cruise ship / cruise line depends on what YOUR preferences are. If you're having problems researching the various choices, let me know and I'll help out as much as I can.

Sheri
                        Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

firenrescue77,

If you'll pm me with your arrival date and time, perhaps we could meet for coffee. I'm a "transplanted Buckeye."

bferris01,

For your planning purposes, you might consider the mid to late June. Wild flowers are out and the midnight sun will absolutely mess up your biological clock.

Dobber
                          BE SAFE
                          Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Comment

Originally posted by jsdobson View Post
                            firenrescue77,

If you'll pm me with your arrival date and time, perhaps we could meet for coffee. I'm a "transplanted Buckeye."

Dobber

I will PM you later tonight when I get back home
                            IACOJ

Comment

Well, it sucks that your cruise arrives back in Vancouver on a Friday ... was hoping it would be a Sunday.

I need some more detailed info to see if we can pull it off. That's a pretty tight window to try to meet up. Depends on a few things, aside from whether or not I can get the day off. Big things happening employment-wise, I'm hoping to get a job offer or two by the end of the week.

Are you going to be at the Canada Place or Ballantyne cruise terminal?

What's the earliest you can disembark?

Is the transfer from your ship to the airport arranged by the cruise line already? If not, what time do you have to be at the airport?

I'll look for your email, Brian!

Sheri
                              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader