Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any ideas for sights in Alaska?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If you can, get into Anchorage a day early and rent a car. The drive down the Seward Highway from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most scenic drives in the world! You could make it from the round trip in a single day. Stop at the Alaskan Wildfife Conservation Center near Girdwood.
    We tried to see the Firefighter's Museum at Anchorage's Station 1 but they were closed. Apparently, it is very hard to get into.
    Oh, yeah, be sure and buy a digital camera with extra memory cards. I burned over 500 shots in a week. There is no way I would have taken that many 35mm shots.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Lifeguard911 View Post
      If you can, get into Anchorage a day early and rent a car. The drive down the Seward Highway from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most scenic drives in the world! You could make it from the round trip in a single day. Stop at the Alaskan Wildfife Conservation Center near Girdwood.
      We tried to see the Firefighter's Museum at Anchorage's Station 1 but they were closed. Apparently, it is very hard to get into.
      Oh, yeah, be sure and buy a digital camera with extra memory cards. I burned over 500 shots in a week. There is no way I would have taken that many 35mm shots.
      Thanks for the tips. I have 2 memory cards, a 1GB and a 2GB......... I hope I don't run out!

      Sheri and Dobbs....... i sent you guys email/PM........
      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
      We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
      IACOJ

      Comment


      • #18
        Well...................

        I just checked the the Stats from the NFIC. So far, 240,000+ acres have burned in Alaska this year.......... Just in case you want something to look at.......

        Have a safe trip.
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

        IACOJ Budget Analyst

        I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

        www.gdvfd18.com

        Comment


        • #19
          My grandmother has taken several trips/cruises to Alaska. Of all the things I remember her talking about, watching whales seemed to be one of the things she liked the most. I can't remember if she saw them from the cruise ship, or if they went on a special boat to see them. I've never been. A friend of mine is a firefighter in Anchorage. To hear him talk, it's a backpacker's paradise. Maybe one day.
          Member IACOJ

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
            My grandmother has taken several trips/cruises to Alaska. Of all the things I remember her talking about, watching whales seemed to be one of the things she liked the most. I can't remember if she saw them from the cruise ship, or if they went on a special boat to see them. I've never been. A friend of mine is a firefighter in Anchorage. To hear him talk, it's a backpacker's paradise. Maybe one day.
            You can see the whales right from the deck of the cruise ship.. on more than one ocassion, pods of orcas swam close enought to identify without binoculars!
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

            Comment


            • #21
              Funny Alaskan cruise story...
              we were sailing into Glacier Bay National Park. Being surrounded by ice, the temperature was in the low 40's in September.

              I had gotten up early and worked out in the ship's gym, then went to the cabin, grabbed the camera and went up on the main deck. I was dressed in a lined windbreaker over a t-shirt and gym shorts.

              Just about everyone else was bundled up like it was -10 degrees...hats, gloves, scarfs, heavy winter coats!

              I heard this unmistakable Texas drawl asking me "arent'ch y'all cold? We're freezing!"

              I answered.. I'm from New England.. this is what it's like on a crisp fall morning!

              There were 2 other brave souls in shorts on the deck.. both were firefighters... one from Colorado, the other from LA City.
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

              Comment


              • #22
                hey am I still coordinating doggie watching with your faz'er ? Have a safe trip and I have some reading material for you.
                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yo, Brian! Did you find out your transfer arrangements yet and what time you'll be at the airport?

                  If this crusty meeting happens, I think the best plan would just be to meet out at the airport at the Fairmont Hotel and go to one of the many restaurants/bars for an early lunch. There's a ton of options, depending on what your fancy is at the time.
                  September 11th - Never Forget

                  I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

                  Sheri
                  IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                  Honorary Flatlander

                  RAY WAS HERE FIRST

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well, we are back and the trip was amazing!! If you've never been to Alaska, it's something to add to your "to do" list.

                    We started in Anchorage where we met up with jsdobson........ Jeff, thanks again!! We really enjoyed the tour of Anchorage. We got the tour of Station 1 and the Museum, along with a trip to Station 3 and the memorial. We also got to see some views of Mt McKinley and the awesome scenery.

                    We had a somewhat short day as we had to be at the airport to catch our shuttle to Seward at like 1430. It was a beautiful 2.5 hour trek, but we got a heads up/preview of some of it with Jeff.

                    Once on the Holland America m.s. Volendam, we headed toward the Hubbard Glacier which was just amazing. There were some seals, but you couldn't really tell without binoculars. The calving was pretty neat to watch, too.

                    We docked in Icy Strait Point and visited a town called Hoonah. Didn't care for this place. Reminds us of Northern Exposure. Did some walking and drinking at the Office Bar.

                    We saw some whales in between there and Skagway.

                    Skagway was a tiny little tourist town that only operates like 5 months out of the year. It is very very expensive to live there, especially considering they have very few services available. We opted to take a bus tour instead o the train and got some great pictures along the Klondike Highway. We also got to see the sea lions traying to catch some salmon for dinner at the docks.

                    Next we went to Juneau. The wife and I opted not to do any tours here. Just kinda walked around for a few hours and did some shopping. By the way, there are Jewelry stores all over the place at all of these ports. I bet at least half of these stores are jewelry stores!! Neither one of us are into the stuff so we didn't even bother going in.

                    Last stop was in Ketchikan which was great. I had never heard of it prior to looking at the cruise info. I never realized it's the 4th largest city in Alaska. I really wish we would have had more time to spend there. We docked at 2pm and had to be back on board by 730pm. We did check out the Lumberjack show and finished souvenir shopping.

                    Last full day was at sea all day where we had the worst weather of the trip. It was probably 50ish outside and rainy. We did get some awesome pictures of sunsets, though. The weather the restt of the trip was amazing. They kept telling us to expect temps in the low to mid 50's and partly cloudy. I bet it was at least 70-75 and sunny every day except for the last day at sea.

                    Landed in Vancouver at 0700 Friday. Couldn't disembark until 0830. Then got stuck waiting for our shuttle. Then got stuck waiting ON the shuttle. Then had a 45 minute drive to the airport on this stinky bus. We didn't even get to the airport until 1030am, then had to rush through customs and everything else. We got to our gate about 1135 for our 1220 flight. Then found out they moved our gate about 10 minutes prior to boarding......

                    All in all it was a great trip.
                    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                    IACOJ

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'll be heading up there around the 15th of September for a bit.
                      The Box. You opened it. We Came...

                      "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by firenresq77 View Post
                        Well, we are back and the trip was amazing!! If you've never been to Alaska, it's something to add to your "to do" list.

                        We started in Anchorage where we met up with jsdobson........ Jeff, thanks again!! We really enjoyed the tour of Anchorage. We got the tour of Station 1 and the Museum, along with a trip to Station 3 and the memorial. We also got to see some views of Mt McKinley and the awesome scenery.

                        We had a somewhat short day as we had to be at the airport to catch our shuttle to Seward at like 1430. It was a beautiful 2.5 hour trek, but we got a heads up/preview of some of it with Jeff.

                        Once on the Holland America m.s. Volendam, we headed toward the Hubbard Glacier which was just amazing. There were some seals, but you couldn't really tell without binoculars. The calving was pretty neat to watch, too.

                        We docked in Icy Strait Point and visited a town called Hoonah. Didn't care for this place. Reminds us of Northern Exposure. Did some walking and drinking at the Office Bar.

                        We saw some whales in between there and Skagway.

                        Skagway was a tiny little tourist town that only operates like 5 months out of the year. It is very very expensive to live there, especially considering they have very few services available. We opted to take a bus tour instead o the train and got some great pictures along the Klondike Highway. We also got to see the sea lions traying to catch some salmon for dinner at the docks.

                        Next we went to Juneau. The wife and I opted not to do any tours here. Just kinda walked around for a few hours and did some shopping. By the way, there are Jewelry stores all over the place at all of these ports. I bet at least half of these stores are jewelry stores!! Neither one of us are into the stuff so we didn't even bother going in.

                        Last stop was in Ketchikan which was great. I had never heard of it prior to looking at the cruise info. I never realized it's the 4th largest city in Alaska. I really wish we would have had more time to spend there. We docked at 2pm and had to be back on board by 730pm. We did check out the Lumberjack show and finished souvenir shopping.

                        Last full day was at sea all day where we had the worst weather of the trip. It was probably 50ish outside and rainy. We did get some awesome pictures of sunsets, though. The weather the restt of the trip was amazing. They kept telling us to expect temps in the low to mid 50's and partly cloudy. I bet it was at least 70-75 and sunny every day except for the last day at sea.

                        Landed in Vancouver at 0700 Friday. Couldn't disembark until 0830. Then got stuck waiting for our shuttle. Then got stuck waiting ON the shuttle. Then had a 45 minute drive to the airport on this stinky bus. We didn't even get to the airport until 1030am, then had to rush through customs and everything else. We got to our gate about 1135 for our 1220 flight. Then found out they moved our gate about 10 minutes prior to boarding......

                        All in all it was a great trip.
                        I had a feeling it might go like that, good thing we didn't go with my plan of meeting at the airport for an early lunch after all LOL.

                        Sorry the meeting of crust didn't pan out, but I know we'll meet up sooner or later.

                        Sounds like you had a fun trip. What about the cruise ship? Good, bad, excellent?

                        You're going to post some pics over at the crusty site, right???!!!! Right, Brian??!!! Or maybe email your friends *grovel beg*



                        That reminds me .... I never did get the pictures of when Gonzo visited the BC WOTs.
                        September 11th - Never Forget

                        I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

                        Sheri
                        IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                        Honorary Flatlander

                        RAY WAS HERE FIRST

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'm glad you didn't waste a day coming to meet us since we got hosed on the meeting.......

                          The cruise ship was great. The staff was unbelieveable. Anything you wanted, they took care of........ I'm sure these guys/gals aren't getting paid nearly enough. They count on the foreign workers to work for cheap, but they get worked like dogs. One guy we talked to had been doing it for like 12 years. He said he works 15 months then gets 1 month off to go back home.

                          I will try to get some pics posted/emailed.......
                          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                          We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                          IACOJ

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by JHR1985 View Post
                            I'll be heading up there around the 15th of September for a bit.
                            Which cruise line?
                            Be safe y'all!
                            IACOJ Animal Control
                            Ladder 8
                            "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              not a cruise. My plan is to visit Anchorage a bit
                              The Box. You opened it. We Came...

                              "You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Next we went to Juneau. The wife and I opted not to do any tours here. Just kinda walked around for a few hours and did some shopping. By the way, there are Jewelry stores all over the place at all of these ports. I bet at least half of these stores are jewelry stores!! Neither one of us are into the stuff so we didn't even bother going in.
                                I hope you stopped in at the Red Dog Saloon!
                                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X