No announcement yet.

US Army Officer Up For Court Martial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly enough,"The Caine Mutiny"is being shown on AMC today and this weekend.
    About a court martial,from what I learned when I was looking down the barrels of one in 1986,the burden of proof of one's innocence or justification for not obeying an order from a superior is on the accused.The prosecution side doesn't have to do a thing besides read the charges and produce witnesses,who might not tell the truth but what they think will cause the most trouble for the accused.

Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
    You are correct, however, a courts-martial often follows to determine if that action was appropriate.
    Just because one person thinks that an order is illegal, that doesn't mean that it is.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
      This is about the most bizarre logic I've ever seen. Thousands dead. Tens of thousands wounded. And somehow more might die and more might be wounded for your idea of a victory.

I pray that thought is not prevalent in those who will be making the ultimate decisions.
      And so much for the idea that securing Freedom of others is worthy of American sacrifice,eh?
      Any commander has to worry about losses in his forces.But the chance that soldiers,sailors,Marines or airmen will die for attacking another to enforce UN sanctions or to remove a genocidal dictator should not dissuade a President from making the call.
      Imagine how the map would look if Roosevelt had backed off Europe because of the 6,000 dead in one day.
      I am praying that cowards that can't stand the sight of blood or refuse to accept it are never put in charge of running the war.

Comment

Any commander has to worry about losses in his forces.

I heard it said that there are two types of Officers. There are "Killing Officers" and there are "Murdering Officers".

Killing Officers are those who order their men into battle, knowing that some will be killed or wounded, but they do so because those are also their orders. These officers are often found in the thick of it all, leading from the front.

Murdering Officers are those who send their troops into battle "just because", and dont really care if the troops die or not, because the whole operation was for Personal Glory.
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
          There is absolutely NO comparison to then and now. You guys know this...quit bringing it up again and again.

BS. Numerous inspections over the years did their jobs. Even as late as 2002 nothing had been found...and nothing has yet to be found. It is becoming clearer and clearer as time goes by (even to those with thick heads) that the evidence used to justify the invasion of Iraq were bogus.

Maybe you need to read a little more...
          Read about how Saddam's political party was founded by Hitler's SS.
          Read about what left the country just prior to the invasion.
          Watch something other than CNN on the news.

Comment

It is interesting how this topic got jacked and became a generalized argument about war in Iraq.

Back on topic: he didn't follow orders, and now he gets punished like he should.
            JLS
            MFC
            51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
            Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Comment

Well As Someone That Served 6 Yrs With The 82nd And 101st Airborne Divisions I Believe He Shoudl Be Serving Time In Prison. I Was In The Army When They Prosecuted A Man In Germany For Not Wearing A United Nations Patch On His Uniform. This Lt. Signed Up To Serve His Country And Now Refuses To Go To Iraq. Unfortunatley I Have Lost Severla People I Had Served With In The Past And He Should Step And Fullfill His Obligation...... All The Way!!!! Airborne....

Comment

Originally posted by MEDIC0372 View Post
                Maybe you need to read a little more...
                Read about how Saddam's political party was founded by Hitler's SS.
                Read about what left the country just prior to the invasion.
                Watch something other than CNN on the news.
                And you're going to sit there and tell us with a straight face this administration wouldn't be trumpeting about something like this on an hourly basis if there were a shred of proof. Considering how this has become one of the greatest foreign policy blunders in our nation's history one would have to be incredibly naive to believe the decision makers in this administration would leap at an opportunity like this to justify their incompetent decision making.

That being said. This officer needs to accept the responsibility of his actions. If he chooses to refuse to be deployed on his personal beliefs that is his right. But it is also the right of the governing authority to which he swore an oath of allegiance to prosecute him accordingly.
                Last edited by scfire86; 02-25-2007, 10:08 AM.
                I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X