Alert system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert system

I am in a bunk in program in NY, my house mate has an old fire alarm bell that we would like to hook up to a Digital pager. Any ideas how this can be done, or how we could possibly tap into the MDT or firehouse bell system? our house is about 30 feet away from the firehouse.

Be Alert, the world needs more Lerts.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffriesA420 View Post
      I am in a bunk in program in NY, my house mate has an old fire alarm bell that we would like to hook up to a Digital pager. Any ideas how this can be done, or how we could possibly tap into the MDT or firehouse bell system? our house is about 30 feet away from the firehouse.
      You want to hook it up to what?
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

In order to hook up your Whacker Alert 2000 I believe you will need a new flux capacitor which can be purchased at your local Radio Shack. Make sure you get the polarized thinga ma bob with the doo hickey adapter

If you had said you want to hook this up in your STATION, I wouldn't have known how to answer that seriously anyway. I'll leave that to nmfire. From what I've read before, he is the radio guru
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Your too kind Smokey. I would have had him wire it up to his testicles or his arse and plug it into a 220 outlet. That way he and his roomy would defintiley have not missed an alarm.

Comment

I think the WT needs to create a "shake-your-head" smiley.
            Attached Files
            If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Digital as in alpha-numeric?

Google "Pocsag Decoder" and engage in a modest learning experience about electronics. It'll bring you to sites like http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Sbarnes/pocsag/pocsag.html
              which let you decode the most commonly used paging system onto your computer.

You don't need to be guru, but it's not a project for the electronically faint of heart of solder challenged among us.

That and someone who knows C++ and maybe some more hardware you can get a 'puter to set off the alarm. Somebody whose really good on the electronics could probably implement it all hardware

If it's a voice pager and has an ear-phone plug, research "latching relay circuits" Many, many years ago built one of those for my Minitor II when I was sleeping through calls during college...triggered a very loud, battery powered Piezo. Which was at the end of 15' long wire hidden in odd spots in my room so I'd have to get up and find it to reset it.

=======
              The MDT is (hopefully) encrypted so you're not going to get that without official permission.

And if you have to ask how to tap the fire station's bell system...DON'T.
              Last edited by Dalmatian190; 01-25-2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

With 15 feet of wire, just follow LVWrench's suggestion.
                Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

what type of pager?

what type of bell?

If you are really intrested, I could help you. Just give me a little more info.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSmokey View Post
                    In order to hook up your Whacker Alert 2000 I believe you will need a new flux capacitor which can be purchased at your local Radio Shack. Make sure you get the polarized thinga ma bob with the doo hickey adapter

If you had said you want to hook this up in your STATION, I wouldn't have known how to answer that seriously anyway. I'll leave that to nmfire. From what I've read before, he is the radio guru
                    Didn't you read the man's post?There is NOTHING I know about hooking up pagers to bells but I can tell you he needs a digital disgronificator to make the connection because the bell is probably hooked up to a pre 1990's system.

Comment

Why not just turn the pager up louder?
                      "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
                      - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

Tapping into the firehouse's alert system is a guarantee of three hots and a cot.. in the county jail.
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Perfect the Buffy (wacker) Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.

Originally posted by JeffriesA420 View Post
                          Found on ebay.
                          Ebay Item number: 270088752939
                          Motorola Minitor Pager Alerting Module Fire Alarm Bell
                          Perfect for the firehouse, or Buffy Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.
                          Problems waking up for those night calls? Can't hear the pager over the loud music or TV?
                          Can't hear the pager go off because someone turned it down, or because you are in another room? Hook this "Alerting Module" up to your pager and your problems are solved. The "Alerting Module" provides reliable audiable warning that can be heard from a distance.
                          This new aftermarket "Alerting Module" connects to any Motorola Minitor II, III, IV, or V amplified pager charger with the 6 pin "DIN" accessory connector on the back (Circular connector see pic below).
                          When pager is alerted, the "Alerting Module" powers up the 6" Fire Alarm Bell for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds. (you adjust time) After the "Alerting Module" times out, it will automatically reset and will be ready for the next alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSmokey View Post

Dont forget the rubber chicken, duct tape, and 37 paper clips!
                            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by rfdlou View Post
                              Found on ebay.
                              Ebay Item number: 270088752939
                              Motorola Minitor Pager Alerting Module Fire Alarm Bell
                              Perfect for the firehouse, or Buffy Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance personnel.
                              Problems waking up for those night calls? Can't hear the pager over the loud music or TV?
                              Can't hear the pager go off because someone turned it down, or because you are in another room? Hook this "Alerting Module" up to your pager and your problems are solved. The "Alerting Module" provides reliable audiable warning that can be heard from a distance.
                              This new aftermarket "Alerting Module" connects to any Motorola Minitor II, III, IV, or V amplified pager charger with the 6 pin "DIN" accessory connector on the back (Circular connector see pic below).
                              When pager is alerted, the "Alerting Module" powers up the 6" Fire Alarm Bell for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds. (you adjust time) After the "Alerting Module" times out, it will automatically reset and will be ready for the next alarm.
                              I'm also curious about doing this, but I'm not really willing to spend the $180 on the modules found on eBay. Has anyone purchased one of these modules and are willing to spill their guts on what's inside of the black box? I've tried searching the internet to see if anyone has disclosed how exactly to make these, but being fairly good with electronics (using 'fairly' very loosely), the contents of that box can't be *that* pricey.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X