No announcement yet.

Now this is a real winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If, for the sake of argument, I got caught doing 85 in a 55 while responding to a call:

1. I'd expect to get cited.

2. I'd stay as far away from the radio as possible, hoping nobody noticed, and certainly not try to "call off" the cop.

3. I wouldn't even mention the fact that my speed had anything to do with responding to a call, unless specifically asked by the cop.

4. I'd never even think about failing to pull over for the cop.

5. I'd take my lumps and live with it.

Sorry, but the firefighter in this case was just plain wrong...at least as it's presented in the story. Really, the only thing questionable about the trooper's actions as stated here might be causing a crash...if that's really what happened. Maybe he was PIT-ing the guy...that would be legit in many jurisdictions...

Comment

Originally posted by bobsnyder View Post
      Maybe he was PIT-ing the guy...that would be legit in many jurisdictions...
      And NOT legit in many jurisdictions, which is what the essence of the dispute here is about. I haven't seen a single post defending what the FF did. The question is whether what the trooper did is legit (and prudent).

In New Hampshire, intentional contact beween vehicles is considered deadly force.

Comment

Also

Originally posted by bobsnyder View Post
        If, for the sake of argument, I got caught doing 85 in a 55 while responding to a call:

1. I'd expect to get cited.

2. I'd stay as far away from the radio as possible, hoping nobody noticed, and certainly not try to "call off" the cop.

3. I wouldn't even mention the fact that my speed had anything to do with responding to a call, unless specifically asked by the cop.

4. I'd never even think about failing to pull over for the cop.

5. I'd take my lumps and live with it.

Sorry, but the firefighter in this case was just plain wrong...at least as it's presented in the story. Really, the only thing questionable about the trooper's actions as stated here might be causing a crash...if that's really what happened. Maybe he was PIT-ing the guy...that would be legit in many jurisdictions...
        would you really do that at 85mph?

Comment

There is one person to blame for this incident, and that is the whacker that failed to stop for a law enforcement officer.

I don't know how the crash happened. In the article, Mr. superwhacker blamed the trooper. What else is he gonna do, admit the crash happened because he was driving to fast and running from the cops? And BTW, that's exactly what he was doing, running from the cops.

Who knows, maybe he would have got professional courtesy had he stopped but he chose to run and now he is in a big mess. IT IS HIS OWN FAULT.

I've got zero sympathy for him.

Comment

1) 85 in a 35....absofreakingloutly wrong!
            2) Calling dispatch to recall Trooper...absofreakingloutly wrong!
            3) Doing abovementioned with wife and children...absoF*CKINGloutly wrong!

4) causing a wreck with abovementioned moron...absofreakingloutly wrong!

sounds like 2 morons involved!
            This is being made with the info we have. If it is found out that the Trooper had acted with permission from superiors and was within guidlines, the I retract statement about the troop
            AJ, MICP, FireMedic
            Member, IACOJ.
            FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
            This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

I can't for the life of me believe that a Trooper would willfully wreck anyone with kids in the vehicle. I'm sure there is ALOT more to this story. Once again the volunteer firefighters are getting some negative national media coverage. Brought on by stupidity. What was this firefighter thinking??? 85 MPH with his family in a MINI-VAN. (I realize mini-vans are a drivers dream, due to the extraordinary handling charicteristics.) Calling dispatch to "call off the trooper"? Maybe the Trooper was laughing so hard he lost control.

Comment

The firefighter should have his license suspended, his membership in the FD suspended, and his authorization to operate an emergency vehicle permanently revoked. Frankly, I think his authorization to pro-create should also be suspended.
                Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSboy View Post
                  1) 85 in a 35....absofreakingloutly wrong!
                  85 in a 55 .... on a highway. Maybe it's just me, but all these over the top responses about 85 seem at least a little funny to me. Are you all saying that you have never done 85 on the highway? You all really putter along at 55 everywhere you go? I call BS! It's really not all that big a deal around here. 75 seems to be the standard and 85 just means you are in a hurry. While we may not know all the details of this story yet, all this hand wringing over 85 on a highway seems funny, to me anyway.
                  I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

There is a difference.

1. Going 85mph casually down the road from point A to point B.

2. Cranked up on adrenaline with your family in the car going to a call with a state trooper chasing you.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I don't see whats funny about it Chicago. I have never done an 85mph emergency response......have you? I have also never done 85mph with little kids in the car.....have you? Not trying to bash you, but come on. This guy was in the wrong.

Comment

OK, I stand corrected, I must have been thinking 30 MPH over
                        Sure I have driven 85, but not in a 55 zone.
                        And when I respond, I also stop at all green lights
                        AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                        Member, IACOJ.
                        FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
                        This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck View Post
                          I don't see whats funny about it Chicago. I have never done an 85mph emergency response......have you? I have also never done 85mph with little kids in the car.....have you? Not trying to bash you, but come on. This guy was in the wrong.
                          1. They don't let me drive - it's a promoted position on our engines.
                          2. Our rigs are governed, they won't go 85!
                          3. I have gone 85 with the family - not often - but when we are making the trek to the far SW side, the highways are wide, straight, and run pretty fast. Not setting any records, just making good time.

I wasn't trying to say he was right or wrong, just commenting on what I viewed to be over the top objections to his speed. Thats all.
                          I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

When I am driving with my family (or any other time, for that matter) I usually top out at maybe 75-78 mph on the highway. But if people are serious about arresting and jailing anyone going 85 with kids in the car, I can tell you that you had better requisition the entire state of Utah to build a detention camp, because I get passed ALL the time.

Not to say the FF here was right; he wasn't. But I'm with ChicagoFF on the hyperbole some people are displaying.

Comment

I have never done an 85mph emergency response......
                              I havent in the engine because it wont go above 75 but in the ambulance.... i've come real close to 85.

Lets see.... vast stretches of highway....

little traffic at night....

wide open 6-8 lane highways

i personally dont have a problem from it and my chief has even said long as its somewhat safe.... but thats different for some people.

safe for some is only doing 55 with lights and sirens on.
                              The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Ive gotten our newer busses up pretty fast.......
                                AJ, MICP, FireMedic
                                Member, IACOJ.
                                FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X