No announcement yet.

For those who (don't) like heights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have noticed that, West of the Mississippi, the Sheriff's Office seems to be the Lead agency in Rescue Operations quite often. Never happen here, but whatever works for them.....

Probably simply the huge, undeveloped areas between "towns" with a fire station.

A friend who grew up there told me about it, but until a vacation in California a while back I never could conceive of how black & white the state could be -- going from one house on top of another, to nothing but farm fields or forest instantly. The smallest firehouses I find in the Berkshires or Vermont are taj mahalls compared to some of the tiny stations I found in California -- one was a twin to my station...before it's 1953 addition!

Remember one that I found after driving 25 minutes on winding mountain roads...that consisted of a single bay in a horse stable with an insulated door as the "firehouse." Totally different world from what I'm used to, and I do live in a relatively rural area.

Comment

Huh??..............

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
      Harve.

Would it make sense to put a ladder up from the bottom for safety.

NO
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Remember one that I found after driving 25 minutes on winding mountain roads...that consisted of a single bay in a horse stable with an insulated door as the "firehouse." Totally different world from what I'm used to, and I do live in a relatively rural area.
        I know of a place just like that in Wyoming, near Devil's Tower. If it werent for the sign above the doors, I would have passed the station without even seeing it. Just a big red barn. I have pictures at home, I'll post it later. Although I suppose my old station wasn't much different a time or two ago. It started life as a quanset hut.
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
          [i]
          The smallest firehouses I find in the Berkshires or Vermont are taj mahalls compared to some of the tiny stations I found in California -- one was a twin to my station...before it's 1953 addition!
          Dal, if our Berkshires stations are Taj Mahalls to them, I'd love to see what they call LI stations out there.
          The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

Dal, if our Berkshires stations are Taj Mahalls to them, I'd love to see what they call LI stations out there.

Inconceivable.

Comment

Snopes picked up on this and reports that this incident took place on State Route 59 near Hurricane City, Utah. They also added an aerial photograph which shows this was the lousiest place to roll the truck off the road.....

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/culvert.asp
              You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
              IACOJ Power Company Liason
              When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
              and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Yup I'd be the one on the road saying "good job guys" hah. Actually if I was really needed i'd just be sweating bullets! jeez.. lucky guy!

Comment

I have my moments where I don't like heights ...butt.. I can handle it sometimes..

Its just nerv racking. personally but it probably would be a great sight to see me on a ladder on a firetruck someday ....

Comment

Maybe the guy had some wild idea about doing a little base jumping.

Comment

Heights !!!!

Thats what my fire friends are for we all help each other. right!!!!!!! Heights can be over come in time....

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                        We agree, and I have a hunch that those who respond in this type of terrain have the appropriate training and at least minimal equipment to deal with this sort of incident. If not those who are members of the VFD, then certainly the Sheriff's Deputies are Trained in Rescue, and have some equipment. I have noticed that, West of the Mississippi, the Sheriff's Office seems to be the Lead agency in Rescue Operations quite often. Never happen here, but whatever works for them.....
                        It goes beyond rescue in Colorado. The sheriff is responsible for fire suppression in their county. If an area is not part of a special fire protection district or an incorporated city, the sheriff is responsible. We also don't have a state fire marshal which is a bit unusual I'm told.

Comment

leaves no room for a step or two
                          FF I
                          FF II
                          Hazmat Operations
                          EMT-B
                          ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Comment

Some how I know it will be ok ...

Heights are a fear they can be over come with confidence and being cheered on by your friends ... that are by your side.Tell you its ok..As I would climb I would need that encouragement for the first time but after I have done it a few times then maybe I will be ok...

Comment

It ain't the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the end
                              Jason Knecht
                              Firefighter/EMT
                              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

WEll no need to worry I won't stop till I return back down once i got up u must>>

Go back down to the ground imao....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X