Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 hour shifts. Need input before voting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Schedule.......

At my Career Department, we work 48 on 96 off....... If I time trade a tour, then I get 10 days off........ I have worked a number of different schedules and this is the schedule that I would recommend to any Department. Here's why, if you get hammered what do you usually do.......... sleep. With this schedule, you sleep the first half of the day (or however long it takes you to recoup) then you still have 3 days with the family. In a 4 week cycle at a busy house you get to see your family between 14 and 20 days. As a family man this is awesome.

I know that there are critics that say we run ______ calls a shift so we have to run partials........ hey if it works for you then cool. I'd rather get my tail handed to me and not have to worry about work once I go home. Yes, I have worked at busy houses and yet it still works for us.

My Paid-Call Department runs both schedules. Part of the Department runs 24 on-off-on-off-on-off-on then a four day...... every 3rd 4 day is replaced with a 6 day. Having worked this schedule for many years, it doesn't even come close to the 48/96 schedule.

As far as the really busy Stations, my advice is that Management needs to realize that the busy Stations don't need to be bogged down with the B.S. "busy work" that is usually associated with this job. The slower Stations should be able to absorb most of these chores. I'm not sayin' that busy Stations shouldn't do the minimum or meet the Standards set by the Department but the slower Stations should be able to handle any Special Assignments, unless the personnel at the other Stations are willing to accept the task.
    Another idea is to rotate the busy Stations with the slower Stations, not for a while just a few days a month or whatever works for your Department. That way the bulk of the Department is sharing the work load and getting to know other parts of the City.

KBRfiredog,
    I had an ole' Capt. that went to work there, tryin' to catch-up with him to see how he is doin'......... Also, was that a San Bernardino County Fire Department patch that Daniel Clark was holding? I am only curious cause that is the Department that my Buddy worked for and retired from......
    Also, used to have a Probie FF that worked for my Career Department that went back to work there. I am also curious how he is doin'........ P.M. me and I'll get you the names to see if you have heard of 'em or are able to track 'em down for me..........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

[QUOTE=mikeyboy;767773]At my Career Department, we work 48 on 96 off....... If I time trade a tour, then I get 10 days off........ I have worked a number of different schedules and this is the schedule that I would recommend to any Department.

I wouldn't want that shift. Anyone with a 4-shift platoon schedule working a 42 hour work week probably doesn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by R1SAlum View Post
        I wouldn't want that shift. Anyone with a 4-shift platoon schedule working a 42 hour work week probably doesn't either.
        Got to agree with that even for a 3-shift schedule... A 48 hour shift is just too long to be at the firehouse. 24 hours on for a regular shift is about the limit. The occasional 34 or 38 thrown in with an OT shift isn't bad but not all the time.

Our rotating shifts changed a few years ago from 3 on / 3 off alternating days and nights each tour to 24 on / 3 days off. I don't think anyone here would ever vote in favor of going back.

My only regret is that we didn't go to 24 on / 24 off / 4 days off instead. Either way, 24 hours shifts beat 10s and 14s. (Unless you have a super busy department and the 24s constantly wear you out. ).
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Even Sweeter........

A 4 Platoon System........ this schedule would be even sweeter than...... 2 days on and then 6 days off......... 6 days everytime you go home, that makes for a lot of days with the family. Most Departments here run a 3 Platoon System, so we don't have that luxury.

How exactly does a 4 Platoon System work? My curiousity is peaked.......
          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
            How exactly does a 4 Platoon System work? My curiousity is peaked.......
            4 shifts averaging 42 hours per week as opposed to 3 shifts averaging 56 hours per week.

Some of the simpler 4 shift rotations are: "3 on / 3 off" - A/C, A/C, A/C, B/D, B/D, B/D, C/A, C/A, C/A, D/B, D/B, D/B (work daytime shift for 3 days, 3 days off, work nights for 3 days, 3 days off); "24 on / 24 off / 24 on / 5 days off" - A, B, A, B, C, D, C, D; "24 on / 3 days off" - A,B,C,D.

There are other more complex variations with 53 hour average work weeks with odd 8 hour shifts thrown in here and there but I've never had the misfortune of having to figure out how they work.
            sigpic

Comment

Mikeyboy

The 4 platoon, or 4 shift system is primarliy an East Coast thing. We are fortunate through the collective bargaining system or the legislature, to work roughly the same hours the rest of the city employees do. In Washington the version we work is 24 on and 72 off. I still don't want to be in the firehouse for 48 hours straight even if you apply it with 120 hours off.

Comment

I work a 72 hour week. 24 on 24 off. We get a Kelly day in each pay period giving 3 days off and it works out that once a quarter we get two Kelly days back to back giving 5 days off. We don't have many runs and even fewer fires but it ain't bad. If you can schedule vacation between a 3 day and a 5 day you can have 22 days off in a row.
                Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Comment

Originally posted by LtTim556 View Post
                  I work a 72 hour week.
                  That's not a job, it borders on slavery.

That sh*t just ain't right no matter how slow the station is -- even with OT after 56 hours...
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks......

Thanks for the info.

I can understand why there is the reluctancy to work 48 hrs...... I respect that.

I still think that a 4 Platoon System is a great idea...... would never fly here though......... LOL.

Comment

For the ones who talk bad about the 24hr schedule.....

some of the busiest departments in the nation do the 24 variation of some kind. FDNY doesnt but Dallas, Houston, Chicago and LAFD do it too I believe.
                      The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X