W.P.F.G. Vancouver/ Burnaby,B.C. 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polecat View Post
    you really are a funny guy. I"m putting you on my buddy list. how ironic you mentioned before 7-aside rugby. The last time I competed in the games was 1989 (vancouver) in rugby. we put together a squad from all over the map, and named our team the Gypsy 7's. We got thumped pretty good by the lads from Ireland, however earned a 5th place medal. How I'd love to lace em' up again, but playing with an O2 unit strapped to my back, may not be allowed.
    Ah but your O2 unit wouldn't stop you from coaching or managing. I'm sure you could probably locate 7 or 8 guys from the Lower Mainland who have played rugby before, I hear they play the game there. I haven't played for a few years, but have played at Brockton Oval a few times during my career. Have you heard how the pitch there has held up. We get reports of the devastation at Stanley Park but nothing about the Oval.

Comment

I heard the rugby pitch got hit hard, one goalpost was completely destroyed and fortunately the other post was only grazed. not sure about the stands,speaking of, my old club,ubc old boys,salvaged the charred timbers from the original stands that burnt down, and used them to build the bar at our clubhouse at jericho. true story.

Comment

You never know, we may have banged heads on the pitch, I have played against the UBC Old Boys on a couple of occasions. Definately once at the Abbotsford Gobbler Fest tournament and I believe we played the Old Boys a couple of times at the Edmonton Rugby Fest.

Comment

*groan*

Way to go polecat, you got manofire talking about rugby, now we'll never get him to shut up!

hehehehehehehe

*runs from the room before she gets a slap all the way from Calgary!*

That'd be pretty funny if you did play against each other in years past. What a small world we live in.
          September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
          IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
          Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

One other thing polecat, I don't know how far back you go but a former teammate of mine came to us from the Old Boys. I don't like to put peoples names in public threads but if you did play with him you would know because he was the scrum half and Captain for the Canadian National Team. Just a shot in the dark.

Comment

I joined the ol' boys in 76' as a 17 year old junior, so I know all the original players. At one time or another we had a least 25 players playing for canada, I best keep from getting side tracked. p.s. thanks to everyone who have posted or viewed this post- my first ever. I better go now,as my wife just gave me that look,you know the one when they roll their eyes,although I can't blame her,with me spending so much time on-line.

Comment

Hey polecat need a fishing partner for the fresh water fishing? I'll supply the boat. You bring the beer.

As far as Seymour Narrows goes Malahat is right. Stay away ! I been through a few rip tides there in bigger boats it was one hell of a ride, wouldn't want to do it in a small boat.

Cheers Firedog21
                I.A.F.F. Proud

Comment

Yo dog, appreciate the offer and may very well take you up on it. Can you tell me whether your boat needs to be blown up, and does it have drink holders?

Comment

There's no doubt the UBC Old Boys are a major force in Rugby up here, Cat. My old body might not be up to the sevens, I did some simple math and I will be 56 then so I may be a couple of years past my prime. Touch rugby just doesn't do alot for me. Full contact fishing however does.

After the weigh in we should all get together for a fish BBQ so we can enjoy the fruits of our labours. We could actually create another event with medals for culinary superiority. For a flatlander(how they came up with that term for a guy who grew up in the mountains, I'll never know) I BBQ a mean salmon.

Bring some wine and none of the sissy white stuff. Wine and firetrucks should only come in one colour and that's red.

Just kidding, I'll drink white wine, just prefer the red stuff. Beer can be any colour you want to bring. Rum though should always be black!

Comment

Polecat
                      To answer your questions; No it does not require inflating ( unlike most of the guys from Surrey's girlfriends ). Of course it has drink holders!

Cheers Firedog21
                      I.A.F.F. Proud

Comment

Good one bro! Did I mention my wife is from Surrey? Though she can be very longwinded,and sometimes full of hot air,and a bit of a bubble head,I've yet to find her valve in 12 years.

Comment

Looking at the games web site, they don't have the venues for fishing set up. Now even though I live near the moountains, I do realize that if there is a Salt water event that it will likely be somewhere with salt water. The Fresh water event though could be held in one of your rivers or possibly a local lake. In Calgary we fished the Bow River, in Melbourne there was a stocked lake that they closed to fishing for a couple of years prior to the games if my memory serves me correctly(Victoria VB did some damage down under).

Do you have any info?

Comment

The last I talked to one of the orginizers,the fresh water event was yet to be confirmed,but they were looking at a couple small lakes around Whistler. I believe the event is restricted to something like 64 anglers? I didn't ask about the salt water fishing,but i will when i see him. I'm guessing the boundaries would be point grey to Bowen Island, over to point atkinson ( Bermuda triangle).

Comment

Australia 2007?

anyone going to australia, im from fdny, and im trying to figure out whose going and doin what. im going alonse cuz everyone i know arent as crazy as i am. Im competing in the ultimate firefighter event, for the first time. I am training but im definately going there to have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by manofire2 View Post
                                Sounds good and after that I'll show you what the MEDALS look like. (Sorry couldn't resist, I'm really not one of the spelling nazi's)

Sounds like we should sit down to a couple of cold ones prior to the competition to arrange wagers.

Darts isn't all that dangerous, unless your the goalie.
                                Ok, if you're not going to be the spelling Nazi, then I'm not going to be the grammar Nazi! The third last word in your post (your) should be spelled you're as a contraction of you are, as in unless you are the goalie

And on another note--dispatchers are not allowed to compete in the Games, according to WPFG rules! Anyone else find this a bit silly? I realize that many of us might suffer from dispatcher arse, but that doesn't mean we can't move said bums from our chairs and actually be athletes!! Perhaps now is the time to lobby the WPFG organizers to include communications personnel as participants. (ok, rant off)

Pat
                                Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X