Canadian Forces Base Petawawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Forces Base Petawawa

As some here know, I did a "parental" visit to see my sons up in Ontario a few weeks ago. The village (if I may use that term) of Douglas, where they live is about 45 miles south of CFB Petawawa, one of our army bases. Anyhow, I had transient quarters there for my stay (ya thats a long story too LOL) and the base has a pretty kuul, even if small military museum. The pictures here are from the museum and from the fire station, just adjacent to the museum. When I took the pics of the truck, it had been in the possession of the station for a little over two weeks, and was still not in service, as there were only two officers who had been trained by the distributor on how to operate it. These pictures were taken during one shift's training session. I also took some camera video of the boom being extended, but dont know how to link that in. Very kuul piece, the Bront is!

According to the Training Officer, This is the only Bronto in North American (read Canada LOL) that has the Canadian Flag painted on the bottom of the bucket. Apparently it was a "gift" from the distributor.
    Attached Files
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Here are a couple more from the Tank Park. Oh.. and the snow that can been seen in the background? There was roughly an inch at 730am that morning. I took these pictures of the a/c at around 11am. By the time we came out of the Museum roughly an hour later, there was no snow at all. Made a very happy Dad! heheheheee
    Attached Files
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

*shudders at the thought of CFB Petawawa*

Nice New Rig though..lol
      If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
        *shudders at the thought of CFB Petawawa*
        LOL,

Who doesn't love Pet?

I did my basic there, and we trained there almost every month. Borden did have the McDonalds, 2 Movie Theatres, 6 messes, and a rec center large enough to accomodate a large city, but Pet had the better golf course, and Sassy's.
        Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by mcaldwell
          LOL,

Who doesn't love Pet?

I did my basic there, and we trained there almost every month. Borden did have the McDonalds, 2 Movie Theatres, 6 messes, and a rec center large enough to accomodate a large city, but Pet had the better golf course, and Sassy's.
          No more McDonalds,still has 6 messes....Gym is quite huge.....Still a large base and Pet still sucks
          If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Aren't they planning to let guys jump out of planes there sometime soon?
            I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD
              Aren't they planning to let guys jump out of planes there sometime soon?
              They never stopped. And NO, I do not jump out of perfectly good, well maintained aircraft, UNLESS ALL wheels are on the ground.

Oh. And Sassys is gone, replaced by the Great Canadian Warehouse or some such, although Yogis is still going strong. And its only been about 1996 since the last time I was in Borden. Unless I go back for my 6A's, that is another base that I hope never to tread upon again. I went through CFSAL in 87, and then again on my 5's in 91. A friend graduated his 5's in 96, what a huge and NASTY change..... However given a choice I suppose I would take Borden over Pet. At least Borden is close to SOMETHING LOL. About the only other thing that Borden has going for it is the DND Fire Academy....

Comment

Aedmittedly, I haven't been following, but I thought the regiment got disbanded. Guess I have to join p-net again.
                I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Yes the "airborne" regiment itself was disbanded...But we never stopped jumping....Theres still many people jump qualified and all infantry units have a Jump Company now which is the same as the airbornes... 3 RCR based in Petawawa is one of the Jump Units, got a lot of buddys there, and I beleive its 3 PPCLI as well...Not sure if the Van Doo's have a Jump Company Or not

Yeah Borden is still quite a big joke I think..lol....The only thing it still has going for it is the Jr's Mess the Huron Club which generally is quite a happenin spot on thursday nights...

Ryan

Comment

As ndvfd said, the Regiments were all stood down after Somalia. I was actually in Petawawa 11 November 1996, while attending my Junior Leaders Course, and during the Memorial Service it was announced that the "Jump" companies were being stood up, with 3 RCR being the "premier" 2 Bde Petawawa jump co. And yes, 3 PPCLI has one, as do the Ric a Dam Doo's Essentially the idea was to maintain jump capability in all three brigades, 1 Bde (Western Canada) in Edmonton; 2 Bde, (Central) Petawawa, and 5 Bde (Eastern) in Quebec. As I understand it though, since the announcement in 96, the units have been steadily growing into their full "wartime" strenght and size. Not really sure what that makes as far as numbers of personnel and quipment in their OrBat but I figure it will only be another 5 or maybe 10 years and the Regiments will reform, Under New Management (read a new name/designation so as to "protect the innocent").

Comment

I get it. Not a bad arrangement really.

Comment

DRAGOONS!!!!

Sassies is gone? Oh boy, I have all kinds of memories of that fine joint

I miss the Donairs of the pizza/sub shop on the main drag. Still crave them 13 years later.

I remember meeting Hillier when he was stationed in Pet; a dubious honour to be sure...
                        IACOJ
                        If you are willing to teach;
                        I am willing to learn.

Comment

Huh??.........

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                          They never stopped. And NO, I do not jump out of perfectly good, well maintained aircraft, UNLESS ALL wheels are on the ground.
                          Wow..... Twice your age, and I STILL do things that you don't do....
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by ROOKIELZ
                            DRAGOONS!!!!
                            Go on with yah..Lord Strats is where it at...Leopards beat the pants off of LAV III's any day and besides my fiancee's father is a Strat so gotta support em..

P.S. Pet SUCKS

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
                              Go on with yah..Lord Strats is where it at...Leopards beat the pants off of LAV III's any day and besides my fiancee's father is a Strat so gotta support em..

P.S. Pet SUCKS
                              HEY HEY! My first unit was LdSH(RC) when they were still in Calgary - 1988/92. Went to Cyprus with them in 88/89 too.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X