We are the "Locals"

The signs are for "Visitors"

Now what was the topic.....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
    I am ****ed that it is almost December and its not even cold enough to try to snow yet. Hell, last weekend I was in Buffalo......BUFFALO FOR CHRISTSAKE! and was selling christmas trees at my uncle's landscaping business in a t-shirt! I was also driving around a dump truck with a plow on it delivering firewood in 60 degree weather. WTF! Oh the fun I hope to have at Christmas!

People are wearing T-shirts in Buffalo and it was snowing in Fla. Now Im sure this isnt agood sign. The end may be near...

PS: Its 78 and sunny here now.

Leave a comment:

• superchef
    replied
    JUST GOT THE "NEWS
    I read the title and thought. "she said yes." Into the thread I come to offer my congratulations and what do I find,, a thread about weather. Of course maybe there is a she and she did say yes.........

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2Capt
    replied
    Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
    I am ****ed that it is almost December and its not even cold enough to try to snow yet. Hell, last weekend I was in Buffalo......BUFFALO FOR CHRISTSAKE! and was selling christmas trees at my uncle's landscaping business in a t-shirt! I was also driving around a dump truck with a plow on it delivering firewood in 60 degree weather. WTF! Oh the fun I hope to have at Christmas!
    Hey, that is just making up for the **** poor October weather we had. Just because you like to come and visit and see snow, doesnt mean I need to be shoveling it! There will be plenty time to see snow, hell it isnt even winter yet. Besides, I still need to get some sandbags for the back of my truck.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by fireturtle
    bah hum bug
    Having gone on wellness checks out on the highway in a Jeep,I agree.
    When I was a kid growing up here in Memphis,snow was rare enough that if 2" fell and stuck,school was closed.
    After growing up and moving to a more snowed on area,the novelty faded real quick,especially when I was the one driving a big old Ford minibus in it.
    We had one call just after the snowfall started,and I got into serious trouble singing "Jingle Bells" over the intercab system.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Not sure who you're in touch ...

Hey Rick, I just talked to Steve ... happened to catch him coming home to check the generator and heaters they set up. They're hanging out next door where there's a wood stove. Power's been out since yesterday and not expected to be back on until Wednesday. They got about 2 1/2 feet up there. And it is snowing now.

Not snowing here at the moment, but we are supposed to get another 10-20cm overnight.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    And in Vancouver and on the mainland

West Coasters slide through real winter, brace for big chill in Lotusland

Published: Monday, November 27, 2006
    VANCOUVER (CP) - The region that doesn't "do" Canadian winter braced for icy temperatures expected to wreak further havoc Tuesday on Lotusland residents digging out from under a massive weekend snowstorm.

Thousands remained without power Monday night as frustrated commuters faced a repeat of a disastrous morning after electing to leave their cars at home in favour of jam-packed buses and trains. "It's terrible, I've never seen anything so chaotic in my life," said Anthony Smiths, 38, as he poured sand over ice outside a mostly empty downtown parking lot.

"People are killing each other just to get on one train."

SkyTrain service, cut back all day Monday, was expected to remain slow with only 40 trains in service, rather than the usual 55.

"We are running, we are getting through," said Drew Snider, a spokesperson for TransLink, who explained each running train must have an attendant on board to help clear the tracks.

"Patience will be a big key with this one."

Snider said ghost trains would ride the rails all night Monday to keep them warm and free of debris.

As the snow stopped, temperatures began to fall.

An arctic outflow warning was in effect for most of the Fraser Valley as cold air began to push its way in. Environment Canada was forecasting temperatures between -12 C and -25 C, putting much of the Fraser Valley within frostbite range.

The extreme weather is unusual, though not unprecedented, meterologist Terri Lang said.

"Temperatures are near record but not record-breaking," Land said. "It's happened before, we've had a past few mild winters and I think people are just getting used to that."

Elaine Aldaba, 31, stopped on her way to work in downtown Vancouver Monday morning to trade her usual rain boots in for a tall pair of snow boots.

"I just want to be ready for it because I am sure there is going to be more to come," she said.

All 34 snow removal trucks were out working in Vancouver as crews tried to keep ahead of the slush and grime churned up by cars weaving their way through downtown streets.

The blast of winter in Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and on Vancouver Island left snowfall amounts of 20 to 50 centimetres.

Trees buckled under the weight of heavy snow and downed branches cut power off to thousands.

It was reminiscent of another major storm that smacked the Lower Mainland about 10 days ago.

The last vestige of that torrential rain was erased Monday when a boil water advisory for 900,000 people in the Greater Vancouver area was lifted.

The alert was originally posted after heavy rain churned up local reservoirs and left tap water looking cloudy.

The Vancouver Coastal Health authority said Monday turbidity levels had dropped and the water was clear enough to drink.

Viviana Zanocco, a spokeswoman with the authority, said people should be cautious when turning the taps back on, letting them run for about three minutes before using any water.

"Let them flow and what that does is moves stagnant water through the system," Zanocco said. "They want to get all the stagnant water that's been sitting around in pipes out and get the clean water that is currently in the watershed out to homes."

No bacteria was ever found in the turbid water, but should the snow melt quickly, turbidity levels could rise again.

Temperatures warm enough to melt snow aren't in the forecast for the rest of the week.

The bitter cold couldn't come at a worse time for about 73,000 customers without electricity, as B.C. Hydro worked to repair power lines brought down by falling trees and branches.

At its height, there were more than 90,000 without power.

"As soon as we restore one area, another one goes out," said B.C. Hydro spokeswoman Elisha Moreno, who said the heavy wet snow was forcing branches down across power lines.

Moreno said Hydro crews weren't certain they'd be able to get everyone back online by nightfall.

She advised customers in Victoria, North Vancouver and Surrey to make alternate arrangements Monday night rather than potentially spend the night in the cold.

Victoria police said dropping temperatures were causing slush on the roads to turn to ice and city officials were preparing to deal with dropping temperatures and potentially more snow.

Salvation Army shelters were operating at full capacity, Capt. John Murray said Monday.

He said they were preparing to go to their level three extreme weather alert, which will see additional beds being opened up for overnight stay, especially on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

About 65,000 students in Surrey, B.C., enjoyed the childhood rite-of-passage known as a snow day Monday, with all schools closed in that city.

School administrators also kept the doors closed in North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Lions Bay, Bowen Island, Abbotsford and Mission.

The University of B.C., closed Monday, was to open Tuesday for classes.

Cancellations and delays filled the flight information board at the Vancouver airport and the B.C. Transportation Ministry urged drivers to use caution and be prepared for winter conditions.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    A wild winter wallop
    44,000 left in the dark, icy roads expected to worsen
    View Larger Image

About 10 centimetres of wet, sticky snow came down across most of Greater Victoria yesterday, turning the streets into a slippery mess, breaking trees and bringing down power lines. Although this double-decker bus was still able to travel its route at Douglas and Fort streets yesterday, B.C. Transit was forced to cut some services because the roads were just too treacherous.

Photograph by : Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist
    More pictures: < Prev | Next >

Sandra McCulloch and Kim Westad, Times Colonist
    Published: Monday, November 27, 2006
    Driving conditions were hazardous across the Island and Lower Mainland yesterday, with hundreds of vehicles spinning out and sliding into ditches as residents grappled with a rare November snowstorm that dropped as much as 22 centimetres of wet, white stuff.

And police are advising this morning could be even worse on the roads, with sub-zero temperatures overnight turning the snow and slush into slick ice.

Downed trees and snapped snow-laden branches left about 30,000 homes on southern Vancouver Island without power for much of yesterday, with hydro crews having a difficult time accessing trouble spots because of the roads. Another 14,000 homes on the northern Island lost power. Hydro officials said many people would be without power overnight.

The snowstorm comes as B.C. Hydro crews have just recovered from outages associated with this month's record rainfall. "Mother Nature has certainly let us know who's boss," said B.C. Hydro spokesman Ted Olynyk.

The snowfall varied around the Island, with Campbell River seeing the most accumulation: 22 centimetres. While only two centimetres fell at Victoria International Airport, about 10 cm fell on other areas of Greater Victoria, the Malahat and the Cowichan Valley. Nanaimo had 15 cm and Port Alberni had 12 cm.

The Malahat highway remained open for most of the day, although traffic was single-lane in both directions and crawled at about 40 km/hr. The dozens of cars that had been abandoned at the roadside Saturday night were almost all gone by mid-day yesterday.

Drivers trying to avoid the Malahat lined up at the Mill Bay ferry to Brentwood Bay, where there were three-sailing waits.

B.C. Transit buses were rerouted away from steep hills or areas clogged with stuck cars, said spokesman Ron Drolet. Bus service was cut in some outlying areas because of treacherous side roads.

"We're not attempting the steep hills," he said yesterday.

"You get slush and slick and then you get cars stuck and we can't get around them."

Doubledecker buses were replaced with regular buses because of the low-hanging branches and power lines, and the HandyDart service for people with disabilities was suspended.

At Goldstream Park, two adults and a four-year-old boy escaped serious injury at 12:40 p.m., when a large tree fell across the cab of their pickup truck on the Trans Canada Highway.

The truck sustained serious damage as the cab collapsed, but the three occupants were relatively unscathed. "The driver got a bit of a bonk on the head but was very lucky, obviously," said Cpl. Tim Humberstone of West Shore RCMP.

In Victoria, a 32-year-old male pedestrian was taken to hospital with undetermined injuries after he was struck and dragged by a car just after noon. He was in a marked crosswalk at Douglas and Johnson streets and the motorist tried to stop for the red light but skidded into the pedestrian, said Const. Peter Lane of Victoria police.

"The front tires on (the car) were just about completely bald," said Lane. "Why they would be driving in this (weather), I have no idea."

There were many vehicles in the ditch in the West Shore but no one was reported injured, Humberstone said, but added police saw a number of people on the slushy roads that shouldn't have been, particularly those on motorcycles.

"We pulled them over and ... told them to get off the road and these people could hardly stop when I was trying to stop them."

Tow truck companies were hopping yesterday, but some said there were areas even they couldn't get to due to the slippery conditions. And traffic woes were complicated by the fact power outages meant traffic lights were often not working.

In Saanich, police closed Quadra Street between Cloverdale Avenue and Tattersall Drive because of a downed live power line. Other roads affected by fallen trees or slippery conditions included Humpback Road in Langford, Stellys Crossroad, West Saanich Road, Haliburton Road, Sinclair Road, Cadboro Bay Road, Ring Road at UVic, and the Patricia Bay Highway at Island View Road.

The storm forced the postponement of Sidney's Santa Claus parade, which was slated for last night, and Oak Bay Avenue's annual light-up celebration was cut short. The lights were turned on -- despite power outages earlier in the day -- but the street entertainment will be rescheduled.

More beds were opened up for the homeless, with low temperatures and high need triggering level three -- the highest level -- of the emergency shelter program.

Flights continued to leave from the Victoria Airport, except those to Vancouver, which was hit hard by the snowstorm. Harbour Air and Helijet cancelled all flights between Victoria and the mainland. B.C. Ferries continued its service between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen, with sailings 20 to 40 minutes late through the afternoon.

But the worst appears to be over, with flurries tapering off overnight, and only a 40 per cent chance of flurries today and sunny periods expected this afternoon.

That said, the streets are likely to be slick this morning, as the temperature was expected to dip below zero tonight, turning the slushy roads into ice. Today's high is 1, and the low tonight is -2 C.

"We don't see any major snowfalls coming our way for the next four or five days," said Brian Robillard, a weather forecaster at the Pacific Storm Prediction Centre with Environment Canada.

Still, it threw a region not used to snow -- Victoria only got a snow plow after the blizzard of 1996 -- into high gear. The City of Victoria actually doesn't even have a budget for snow removal, because it doesn't happen that often. The cost comes out of the surplus, which the city generally has every year, Mayor Alan Lowe said.

Six trucks were out yesterday with plows and sand, working the main routes for transit and emergency vehicles. Lowe, who chatted as he put chains on his car tires, said they would work through the night if needed.

The municipality of Saanich does have a budget for snow removal, but whatever money is needed to get the major routes cleared will be spent, Mayor Frank Leonard said.

"The budget isn't my concern today," Leonard said yesterday afternoon, as Saanich's 13 major routes were cleared. "We'll use whatever resources are needed."
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    After storm, temperatures to dip across B.C.
    27/11/2006 8:48:12 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly page

Forecasters say more cold weather is coming for British Columbians who are digging out from under as much as 50 centimetres of snow.

CTV.ca News Staff

Sean Collins gets some air while tobogganing down a hill in Vancouver, B.C. (CP / Richard Lam)

Snow continued to fall Monday amid forecasts that the next breath of Arctic air was expected to wreak havoc on Lotusland.

An arctic outflow warning was in effect for the Fraser Valley and Environment Canada predicted wind-chill temperatures will dip below -20 C in some places.

Environment Canada was also warning of the potential for frostbite, with a wind-chill factor approaching -27 C in Kamloops.

A snowfall warning remains in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast and Lower Mainland after heavy snow disrupted ferry and aircraft movements and downed power lines over the weekend.

Snowfall amounts ranging from 20 to 50 centimetres have been recorded in the Vancouver area, Fraser Valley and parts of Vancouver Island since Saturday.

"I don't care where you're from ... that's a lot of snow. In many ways this part of the country is just not equipped to handle that volume of snow in such short order like in Edmonton or Moncton or even Toronto," CTV's Todd Battis reported from Vancouver on Monday.

The weight of the snow also downed trees and brought down branches onto power lines, cutting off electricity to thousands of households from Victoria to Chilliwack.

Wary commuters who left their cars at home contributed to long lineups at public transit stops and jam-packed city buses.

Conditions were so bad in Victoria Monday morning that B.C. Transit was forced to pull its buses off the roads during the rush hour.

Vancouver's SkyTrain was forced to cut back service to deal with snow on the raised track, creating a crush of people waiting on the platform.

Some passengers said it took them as long as one hour to make the same journey that took 20 minutes otherwise.

"Only about half the number of SkyTrain cars was on the rails today. Buses, trolley lines were frozen and so they could not move. A lot of other buses were simply off the road," Battis said.

"I know one bus driver -- it took him an hour just to get out of the compound."

The snow is tapering off to flurries but temperatures are also plummeting, which could make roads even more treacherous as slush turns into ice.

"It's going to be a matter of staying at it throughout the day," City of Vancouver engineer Murray Wightman told CTV Newsnet on Monday morning.

"We've been at it since Saturday morning. What we're looking at now, which is going to make things interesting, is after this snow that's coming down stops we're supposed to start getting into quite cold temperatures -- minus 6, even as low as minus 9 -- so that'll make for an interesting few days for us with everything freezing."

The bitter cold couldn't come at a worse time for more than 81,000 customers without electricity, as B.C. Hydro worked to repair power lines brought down by falling trees and branches.

About 39,000 of them are in the south Vancouver Island area, where additional crews were being sent from the Vancouver area.

Another 20,000 people in the Vancouver area are also without power, as are 15,000 customers in the Fraser Valley.

"This is certainly a challenge for us,'' B.C. Hydro spokeswoman Elisha Moreno told The Canadian Press of tapped-out resources.

"This is the second winter storm in less than a month.

"We realize that it is colder weather, which is giving us a sense of urgency in terms of things to be concerned about like freezing pipes and customers being cold in their homes so we are working as quickly and safely as we can to get that power restored.''

Meanwhile, the bitter cold that has gripped most of the Prairies for days may have been a factor in at least three deaths in Alberta.

In Parliament's question period on Monday, NDP Leader Jack Layton used the reports of three deaths to attack the federal government on its homelessness policy.

"In the prime minister's own home town of Calgary, the officials are telling us that the number of people sleeping in the streets is up by 238 per cent," he said.

"Every Canadian has the right to affordable shelter, but this prime minister, like the previous one, doesn't seem to care."

He accused the government of providing billions of dollars worth of tax cuts to profitable corporations while doing nothing for the homeless.

Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said the government recognizes the homeless situation is a terrible one. "That's why one of our earliest moves was to extend the national homelessness initiative," she said.

"To that we added $37 million that had gone unspent by the previous government."

Layton said contrary to what the minister has just said, "The fact is there has been no extension and those programs are closing right now in communities right across Canada."

Finley said the government has extended all national homelessness initiative programs through to March 2007.

With reports from CTV's Todd Battis, Kevin Green, Nashiha Naqvi, Dave Lefebvre and files from The Canadian Press

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    The map got flipped ... it was 16 in Toronto today

We're looking at more snow overnight, tapering off in the morning and then the BIG CHILL which means bloody cold with the wind chill. Like in the -20 to -30 degree range, depending on where in BC you happen to hang your hat. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is going to feel as cold as -25 to -35 in Alberta due to the moisture.

Speaking of Alberta, they aren't doing any better. Bitter cold there too.

Leave a comment:

• ndvfdff33
    replied
    Its great..BC has snow and we in ontario and on the eastern provinces are snow free...SUCKERS...

Leave a comment:

• NCFFChick
    replied
    Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    This be to which you refer:

Suspicious Package Found At Lincoln Memorial

POSTED: 2:02 pm EST November 27, 2006
    UPDATED: 2:24 pm EST November 27, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Authorities closed the Lincoln Memorial on Monday after a suspicious liquid was found in a bathroom, authorities said.
    Ya know you could take that in a couple different directions

Leave a comment:

• FlyingKiwi
    replied
    Bass ????

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Right!!.............

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    I shall go out in the boat for a sunset evening fish today, and contemplate this over a beer.
    REMEMBER, Everyone likes a little ....... Nobody likes a smart ....

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X