Need help with a debate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a debate...

So we were doing some driver training today and got into the debate of what makes a road a "road", a street a "street", an avenue an "avenue" etc..
    For example we have some streets that are bigger than roads and roads bigger than streets. We have a "highway" that is a 500 ft dead end road. We have a "main st" and a "road" that are about the same in terms of traffic flow etc.

Wondering if anyone has seen a link online or anything that can settle the debate... Thanks!!
    -Dan

Your 911 director may have some info on where to find the definitions. I had a similar conversation a few years ago. From what I remember...
    Lane= dead end street
    Highway= divided roadway, federal, state, or county maintained
    Blvd= wider, lined with trees and more scenic
    Drive= connects two "lanes" (similar to a circle, but all four sides have different names)
    Road= county or rural roadway.
    Street and avenue are similar, but an avenue is more residential.

Don't take me to the bank on it, but that's what I remember from like 3 or 4 years ago. We ended up talking with the 911 director who explained it to us. I very well could be mixing up our thoughts and what she told us.

Comment

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

PS: cul de sac is a fancy French term for dead end street with a turning area!
      Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-26-2006, 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling error
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
        That there is a damn good question.

Comment

Street and avenue are similar, but an avenue is more residential.
          Here, our avenues run north-south, while streets run east-west, for the most part.
          Member IACOJ

Comment

Hmmmmm....... here a parkway is that space between the sidewalk and the street, as in "If you ask, the city will plant a tree in the parkway in front of your house for free"
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Depends on where you go. Kenosha county in the south east corner of Wisconsin has streets going north and south, and avenues going east and west. All streets / avenues are numbered starting in the southeast corner, numbers growing as you go west or north. The house numbers corespond to the street / avenue numbers. The advantage is that with the address you can pinpoint the exact block very quickly. You can find an empty spot on a map and tell what the numbers would be if they put a road there, as the entire county is laid out according to this number grid. Go to an online map site and check out Kenosha, Wisconsin. It's a very efficient system once you are familiar with how it works
              We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Comment

Why do we pay tolls on freeways ???????????
                ******=================
                ******================
                ******=================
                ******================
                =======================
                =======================
                =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

How come Hawaii has interstate highways??
                  I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

How a bout Esplanade.

Fancy French word for "The road by the beach eh"

The name road, street, or avenue is usually decided by tossing a coin down here.
                    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Well, I am a Master Debator (say that three times fast), but I can't help you with this one.
                      TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
                      EMT GEMS
                      CPT/EMT MVFD
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      Proud Member of IACOJ
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Comment

There is a road in the next-over local named "Street Road."
                        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Lane= dead end street
                          Yeah, that seems to be the rule of thumb around here as well (we have a lot of "lanes", which is where we get most of our medical runs).

We also have at least one state highway that is actually a gravel road running through the sugar cane field (go figure that one out...I guess some political type years ago had the stroke to get the State to take it over for maintenance).

Then there are the "lanes" that are also state highways. We have at least 4 of them that go by common names locally, but are actually state highways. The annoying thing about them is that our dispatchers always give us the highway number, so we sometimes end up scratching our heads for a second...."Is that XXX Lane or is it YYY lane?"

The names are easier to remember....
                          Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                          Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                          Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                          — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Funny enough we asked a probie in one of our academy's the parkway/driveway question and that monday he came back with an answer on his cell phone.

parkway's were built generally as state roads that led to state parks and were for cars only to keep buses and trucks from operating on them.

driveway's were called that due to many moons ago, houses were on farms and you had to drive basically up a 'road' (no pun intended on the other questions) to get to them.

Comment

For that matter, why does my nose run and my feet smell.

Kevin
                              Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                              IAFF Local 2339
                              K of C 4th Degree
                              "LEATHER FOREVER"
                              Member I.A.C.O.J.
                              http://www.tfdfire.com/
                              "Fir na tine"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250