Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    It makes perfect sense.

And why would they? It's more of a fraternal thing...surely you realize this.
    Again, my point is that the term is not used as a racist remark when used in this fashion. Why is this so damned hard for you people to grasp? Their use of the word has absolutely nothing to do with it being used for years as a racist term, directed with hatred towards a disenfranchised people for hundreds of years, simply because their skin color is different. To offer up their particular use of the word as a distraction from its racist use by whites is without merit. And to think it's just as bad as its racist use is just plain ignorant.

As a child, I was told by my Mom and taught in school that the "n" word was offensive. I do find it offensive, no matter what their race, sex or creed or lack thereof is.

I have two black firefighters on my present group, and they don't call each other the "n" word. They just like to bust each other's balls just like everyone else, all in fun.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

And I have many African-American friends who make it clear that they want to be treated the SAME and not different.
      I think part of the problem today is that people either consciously or subconsciously act differently around other ethnicities. Instead of acting no differently, they resort to fear, mistrust or indifference. Most likely, they wouldn't respond like that with strangers of their same race. So, this makes them "closet rascists" because they don't mean to be, but are by their actions. If they get sucked into a discussion about racism, they will deny that they are, but when pressured, will admit to at least uneasiness around other races.
      Racism still exists, even in "closet" form. But I also believe that as long as humans inhabit the Earth, there will be racism of some sort.
      CR
      Visit www.iacoj.com
      Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
      RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Again, my point is that the term is not used as a racist remark when used in this fashion. Why is this so damned hard for you people to grasp? Their use of the word has absolutely nothing to do with it being used for years as a racist term,

So once again, let’s advocate a double standard, so we further foster ill will from whites and blacks, towards each other. Real nice. The “N” word is without a doubt a racist term, even if blacks use it as a ‘term of endearment’, to use your words.
        A word is just a word, after all. What really gives the word power is the intention behind it, or the interpretation by anyone who hears it. I can honestly say that to hear that term used, even by blacks, is offensive to me, because it is a word that is nothing but filled a history of hate. We have black members who use it in the firehouse with each other, and we’re supposed to just accept that? Sorry, I just don’t understand that logic.
        Yes, I realize what your trying to say, but I still think that your wrong. What many in the black community endured in the past is wrong, but at some point everyone needs to stop looking backward, because all you will do is trip and fall. Having a double standard with anything is wrong, because the whole point of the civil rights movement was equality, right?
        Another part of what is wrong, is the general perception of what the word means. Blacks usage of that term, even if it is just an “endearing” term for them sends a wrong message to all. But hey, that’s all part of the modern world we live in, right? How many black comedians make fun of white people? How many throw racial slurs, or derogatory remarks about whites around, as a part of their routine? I saw one the other day to benefit victims of Katrina. If we ever want to move past racism, as a society, we need to stop having double standards. We also need to stop making excuses for people to use any kind of racial slur, and that is exactly what your doing here.

Richards was wrong for what he said, did, and how he acted on stage. There is no justification that can be made by anyone. Getting heckled, as a standup act, is all part of the show; at least it has been in every live comedy show I’ve been to. It really isn’t much different than booing Barry Bonds, or any other athlete you don’t care for.
        I don’t know what his deal is, or was. Whatever he receives from the public, be it a lawsuit, or never working in comedy again, he deserves for being stupid in the first place.
        Last edited by jasper45; 11-24-2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

It makes perfect sense.

Again, my point is that the term is not used as a racist remark when used in this fashion. Why is this so damned hard for you people to grasp? Their use of the word has absolutely nothing to do with it being used for years as a racist term, directed with hatred towards a disenfranchised people for hundreds of years, simply because their skin color is different. To offer up their particular use of the word as a distraction from its racist use by whites is without merit. And to think it's just as bad as its racist use is just plain ignorant.
          Ask most blacks in America and you will find they dont approve of the use of the word "******" to refer to each other in conversation.

You probably wont find 2 black doctors calling each other "******" in the hospital or on their off time. I do hear it among the kids hanging out at the movies or clubs around town.

Funny - Abolish The N-Word is a campaign started by blacks to end the use the word.

Read some excerpts from this book.
          Warm Regards,
          Shawn Stoner
          EMT-B

Comment

It makes perfect sense.

If you don't want others to use it, don't use it yourself. Why is this so hard for you people to grasp??? I think most people have had enough of the simple minded excuses used to justify this double standard. Continually making excuses for people does not make their behavior right. If this term is that offensive, no black would use it. Apparently there is yet another double standard where we have to accept substandard behavior in the name of diversity and fairness. What a crying shame. The double standards and out and out pandering to the guilt of white america are digusting - United Negro College Fund - but you better not use the term "negro". National Association for the Advancement of Colored People - but don't call us colored. At some point people are going to get tired of the continual barrage of excuses and justifications. At what point do you stand up and tell the world "I am equal to anyone and I don't need to be "helped" or boosted to achieve equally in this world." Until that day, keep using racially offensive terms you would not want others using and keep wondering why no one takes your concerns seriously. Holla

P.S. No apology from the mutts yet?
            Last edited by ChicagoFF; 11-24-2006, 10:17 PM.
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

P.S. No apology from the mutts yet?
              No; the two that were offended are not apologizing...
              They are suing.
              The conduct of Michael Richards is under the microscope and not the two who disrupted his performance.
              CR
              Visit www.iacoj.com

Comment

So once again, let’s advocate a double standard, so we further foster ill will from whites and blacks, towards each other. Real nice. The “N” word is without a doubt a racist term, even if blacks use it as a ‘term of endearment’, to use your words.
                No double standard at all. Words often have multiple meanings, depending on how they're used. It's pretty simple.
                Ask most blacks in America and you will find they dont approve of the use of the word "******" to refer to each other in conversation.
                True or not, it doesn't matter. The word can plainly be used as a term of endearment, or a racial slur...depending on who uses it and when.
                You probably wont find 2 black doctors calling each other "******" in the hospital or on their off time. I do hear it among the kids hanging out at the movies or clubs around town.
                Pure speculation on your part.
                If you don't want others to use it, don't use it yourself. Why is this so hard for you people to grasp???
                Completely irrelevant. It's not the word, but how it's used that is the issue.
                Member IACOJ

Comment

Completely irrelevant. It's not the word, but how it's used that is the issue.
                  Which is why the DICTIONARY was invented.
                  Sorry, Nozz, but I'm not comfortable with you being the sole source of the meanings of my words.
                  With your logic, every word of every sentence will be reduced to divining the "intention" of the speaker or the writer.
                  I think the art of communication just regressed to grunts and gesturing.
                  What's next; drawing pictures on the walls of caves?
                  God help us.
                  CR
                  Visit www.iacoj.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefReason
                    Which is why the DICTIONARY was invented.
                    Sorry, Nozz, but I'm not comfortable with you being the sole source of the meanings of my words.
                    With your logic, every word of every sentence will be reduced to divining the "intention" of the speaker or the writer.

Such is the lean of many "Progressive" folks. Speech is to restricted because the intent of people, not what the actual words are.

If you are offended, you will just have to be a big boy and get the hell over it.
                    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

if you want to hear the word ****** used, all you have to do is listen to a Chris Rock comedy show. but i guess it's ok if some people use it, while others can't?

if the two hecklers were Italians, and richards called them ginnies, do you think this would be garnishing the same amount of outrage? or if they have been Hispanic, and he used the word spic? or any other race and racial slur used?

didn't think so.
                      If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by SSTONER
                        Term of endearment?? I have yet to see a black person go up to their mother and say "whatz up my nigga?".

I dont see the majority of blacks call each other ******s - maybe if you watch MTV all day it may seem that way.
                        Really? Maybe not to their mother, but certainly to friends and family. Where I work, that word gets tossed around by blacks WAY too much for my comfort.

Sometimes the tone is amiable, which usually begets what I take to be a more playful "nigga." Sometimes the tone is hostile, which usually evokes the harsher "******."

Either way, it's a racial epithet that would be unacceptable coming from any other ethnic group, in any type of tone or context. I think blacks who use the term (-a or -er) are doing a disservice to themselves and fellow blacks across the US.

It's just as degrading as people (whites and blacks) refering to others as "dog." That's as blatant an attempt at dehumanization as anything. I'll actually remind people, "I am not a dog. I know you don't think you are being rude, but you are. You can call me officer, sir or Mr., but not dog."

Hispanics in my sector frequently use "amigo" to refer generically to people. Think of the different picture that paints, calling strangers and aquainances alike "friend" rather than comparing them to an animal.

Treat others as you want to be treated...act professionally to be treated like a professional...act like an adult to be treated like an adult.
                        My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjb
                          Treat others as you want to be treated...act professionally to be treated like a professional...act like an adult to be treated like an adult.
                          Now why would anyone want to do that? That is just plain silly.
                          "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Originally posted by DaSharkie
                            Now why would anyone want to do that? That is just plain silly.
                            LOL...yeah, I know...I'm kinda goofy that way.
                            My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjb
                              It's just as degrading as people (whites and blacks) refering to others as "dog." That's as blatant an attempt at dehumanization as anything. I'll actually remind people, "I am not a dog. I know you don't think you are being rude, but you are. You can call me officer, sir or Mr., but not dog."

I know the feeling.When driving an ice cream truck this summer,I'd have people whistle at me but usually I'd keep going til I heard"Hey,ice cream!" for that reason.
                              If asked,I always reply,"I thought someone was calling for their dog to come."
                              Others that don't take the hint get the speech about"Do you whistle for the waiter at Folks'Folly? (high brow place here)".
                              Segueing to Gloria Allred,if she was really all that interested in social justice,why isn't she representing Heckle and Jeckle pro bono?

Comment

I was watching the video of the incident and on it one of the mutts is heard calling Kramer "cracker" and "whiteboy". Could someone please direct me to the footage of them apologizing for using racially inappropriate language? I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it..............
                                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X