X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Oh what a lovely job is that. Most of it goes over the side, all the biodegradable stuff anyhow. Metals "disappear" and plastics get processed into "pizzas" and stored until we come along side somewhere, to be disposed of ashore.

I think thats one of those jobs that I DONT miss. It follows right along with digging holes in the ground just so that some Sgt or Lt can come along and tell me to fill the dang thing in again.
    When I worked on the river,I am "told" that some boats would wait until they were in an isolated stretch of water and "feed the fish"with the galley scraps.Can't say what they did with stuff that wasn't supposed to go in the river.I don't know,that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    As a tankerman for a boat refuelling concern,we'd take trash for disposal ashore and had to watch after we'd take the count of bags for billing them because some crews would add onto the pile.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Well I'm not going to disagree with you on that point Doug. Actually the Canadian Navy adopted an US Navy piece of gear a few years back. Every ship now has one of those great honk'n huge trash processors. Its now become a "duty shift" for each Department to provide one person per (on a Departmental rotating sched) day to work the processor. All the ship's trash is put through it, and then us poor sods working that shift get to clean up afterwards. Oh what a lovely job is that. Most of it goes over the side, all the biodegradable stuff anyhow. Metals "disappear" and plastics get processed into "pizzas" and stored until we come along side somewhere, to be disposed of ashore.

I think thats one of those jobs that I DONT miss. It follows right along with digging holes in the ground just so that some Sgt or Lt can come along and tell me to fill the dang thing in again.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Sigh. Ya I remember the days when we could (almost) indiscriminately throw stuff over the side and no one really got mad at us. Now you throw a bucket of slop from the galley and the whole world wants to know what the environmental impact of a banana peel thrown at the 200 mile marker, in rough seas is.
    Greenpeace might be interested in preserving the earth but ships still make stuff that can't be held onboard.Even theirs.
    I wonder if any of them has been caught out on tossing trash and garbage into the "wet dumpster"?

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Ever thrown one?

Negative.....seen it done, but personally, no.

Leave a comment:

• LeuitEFDems
    replied
    Now you throw a bucket of slop from the galley and the whole world wants to know what the environmental impact of a banana peel thrown at the 200 mile marker, in rough seas is.
    Com'n Rick, you should know better...The whales will slip on the banana peel falling into the sharks, therefor p!ssing them off...then there goes the neighborhood....

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Sigh. Ya I remember the days when we could (almost) indiscriminately throw stuff over the side and no one really got mad at us. Now you throw a bucket of slop from the galley and the whole world wants to know what the environmental impact of a banana peel thrown at the 200 mile marker, in rough seas is.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Ever thrown one?
    We spent an enjoyable forenoon watch returning from the Med in 1986 chunking concussion grenades over the side.For some reason I wasn't told,we weren't supposed to bring a lot of the things back from overseas.Least that's what the GMs told me.
    First time we tossed one,the BTs thought we'd had a boiler explosion and pulled the fires from both boilers that were online.

Leave a comment:

• Ladder8
    replied
    "...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this, Thy hand grenade, that with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits... in Thy mercy."

And the Lord did grin... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. FIVE IS RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen."
    Oh my,

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch....

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by tanker5117
    Rick, I almost lost MY cup of coffee on that one.

Tanker
    TOUCHE, Mon Amis

Leave a comment:

• tanker5117
    replied
    ...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this, Thy hand grenade, that with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits... in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. FIVE IS RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.
    Rick, I almost lost MY cup of coffee on that one.

Tanker

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by tanker5117
    Many of them, all in training. Push clip, pull pin, keep firm grip on spoon, sight target, throw grenade, duck, repeat as necesary.

Tanker
    "...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this, Thy hand grenade, that with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits... in Thy mercy."

And the Lord did grin... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. FIVE IS RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen."

Ohhh and Tim.... and that WAS after the first coffee of the day!
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-15-2006, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tanker5117
    replied
    YA... me too. **mumble mumble rumble grumble... "Rotten Bahhhstaahhdd..." mumble mumble....**

Rick, ya really need to have that 1st cup of coffee before you logon to FH.COM in the morning, it reduces the grumbling and mumbling.

Tanker

Leave a comment:

• tanker5117
    replied
    Ever thrown one?

Many of them, all in training. Push clip, pull pin, keep firm grip on spoon, sight target, throw grenade, duck, repeat as necesary.

Tanker

Leave a comment:

• Ladder8
    replied
    Great cartoon!

Ol' Sadaam followed by the "Whispering Death..."

Leave a comment:

• tfpd109
    replied
    I got to say, nice touch with the bell. I wonder if that move traffic pretty good.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X