Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaSharkie
    replied
    Excellent book. When you think about how close we would have come to war if some of those exploits were uncovered by the Soviets......

Balsy group of folks there.

Leave a comment:

• firetruckred
    replied
    Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Well. The day is here. We are assembling here in the Embassy to pay tribute to those who made the Greatest and most Humbling Sacrifice that one human can give to another.

Sharkie, I'm glad you like the link. We were reminded of that one again this year, through email. As for the new video, we all assembled in the theater yesterday to view it for the first time....... there wasn't a lot of talk or discussion as we all walked out at the end. "Moving" was the only descriptor I've heard so far.
    My Father's recommendation for a good book to read is "Blind Man's Bluff".

Leave a comment:

• firetruckred
    replied
    My Mother and Father both served. My Father rose from E-1 to LT CMDR in the Navy in 24 yrs. Served at Norfolk VA. Navel Base most of his career. He served on 2 Tenders and 3 submarines. I have the greatest respect for him and all others who have served and are serving today. My brother in law is on the Coast Guard keeping our borders safe. God Bless all of you, always.

Leave a comment:

• DaSharkie
    replied
    Originally posted by VinnieB
    Hey! Hey!....is that in insult????? Everyone wishes to be an 03walk-a-lot
    Nah, I had enough humps to last a lifetime.

I had a squad or platoon of grunts to watch my happy butt while I did my job.

Hey, by the way - if things keep going the way they are (not to curse the thing) you may have to salute me by the end of February.

And no jokes about being a butter bar either!

That is worse than being a cro-magnon, knuckle dragging grunt.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army
    IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Hey Malahat, last year you posted a link to the video on that same page "A Pittance of Time."

Still love watching that one. Have it saved on my hard drive.

Makes me livid when I see all of these damned ads about a "Veteran's Day Sale." ****es me off that so many think that this is all about saving money.
    I'm sure you would feel the same about the ... (ok I can't put that word here -think of hfd66's favorite word on the other site that starts with "F" and ends with "D" and rhymes with retard) ... idiots up here who steal poppy donation boxes One Legion had 6 boxes stolen and lost about $3000 in total. A gentleman called into one of the radio stations to donate $50 and challenged others to match his donation, to try to get some of the money back for the Legion.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by doughesson
    Not me.I shipped in the Navy in a destroyer.We carried our bunks and mess table into battle with us instead of on our backs.
    Actually,the worst I had was patrolling 32 degrees,30 minutes North latitude in the Mediterranean to show Mommar Ghaddaffi what he was full of.39 days of Dog Zebra,GQ calls every 8 hours whether anything was happening or not makes you wish something would happen,even if you don't want it to when it does.

Hmm I can sympathize with that and my tour of the Arabian Gulf 2001/02. Iranian Air Force P3 liked to "buzz" us with full radars each evening around 1630 or so. But the worst time was with their gunboats chasing us around. Seems we "impinged upon their sensativities" by shadowing a vessel of interest that chose to stay just inside Iranian soverign waters for its transit up the Gulf.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by VinnieB
    Not me.I shipped in the Navy in a destroyer.We carried our bunks and mess table into battle with us instead of on our backs.
    Actually,the worst I had was patrolling 32 degrees,30 minutes North latitude in the Mediterranean to show Mommar Ghaddaffi what he was full of.39 days of Dog Zebra,GQ calls every 8 hours whether anything was happening or not makes you wish something would happen,even if you don't want it to when it does.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyThirteen
    replied
    Originally posted by Catch22
    I've found a lot of men who have served in combat are the same nature. My grandfather served in the 27th ID in WWII. He would never discuss the things he saw while in the service, no matter how much I asked. I heard only two stories; one in which a Japanese grenade hit his leg, allowing him enough time to throw it away from him before it went off (on Saipan) and one where an ammo dump blew up near him (on Okinawa), injuring him and causing him to lose hearing in one ear (like most men he fought with that were injured, he refused to be considered for the PH, I later found out).
    Catch22,

My grandmother's late boyfriend (of 7 years; for all intents and purposes, he was our grandfather) also served in the 27th on all of those same places. My father's father also served in those places, but with the 305 Regiment, 77th Infantry Division. He carried shrapnel in his leg from Okinawa till the day he died. I actually got to visit many of those battle sites when I was stationed back in Okinawa a few years ago.

God bless all my brothers and sisters in uniform and most especially those in harms way.

Thomas T. Warshaw III, SSgt, USAF
    Shaw AFB, SC

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Well. The day is here. We are assembling here in the Embassy to pay tribute to those who made the Greatest and most Humbling Sacrifice that one human can give to another.

Sharkie, I'm glad you like the link. We were reminded of that one again this year, through email. As for the new video, we all assembled in the theater yesterday to view it for the first time....... there wasn't a lot of talk or discussion as we all walked out at the end. "Moving" was the only descriptor I've heard so far.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-11-2006, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VinnieB
    replied
    Hey! I may be ugly, but at least I am not, and was not a knuckle dragging grunt!

Semper Fi brother.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    These Medal of Honor recipients are the most humble of men. Getting one to talk about their actions is difficult. They do nothing but belittle their own actions and speak of how great the actions of the men and women around them was.

Most of us are not fit to carry their bags. Myself included.
    I've found a lot of men who have served in combat are the same nature. My grandfather served in the 27th ID in WWII. He would never discuss the things he saw while in the service, no matter how much I asked. I heard only two stories; one in which a Japanese grenade hit his leg, allowing him enough time to throw it away from him before it went off (on Saipan) and one where an ammo dump blew up near him (on Okinawa), injuring him and causing him to lose hearing in one ear (like most men he fought with that were injured, he refused to be considered for the PH, I later found out).

My prayers and thanks are to those who have and still serve and their families, and to those who wish to serve in our military. I don't think enough can be said about these men who go where no one else wants to go, to do a job that no one else wants to do.
    Last edited by Catch22; 11-10-2006, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pkfd7505
    replied
    These Medal of Honor recipients are the most humble of men. Getting one to talk about their actions is difficult. They do nothing but belittle their own actions and speak of how great the actions of the men and women around them was.

Amen brother.

Leave a comment:

• DaSharkie
    replied
    Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Hey Malahat, last year you posted a link to the video on that same page "A Pittance of Time."

Still love watching that one. Have it saved on my hard drive.

Makes me livid when I see all of these damned ads about a "Veteran's Day Sale." ****es me off that so many think that this is all about saving money.

Leave a comment:

• DaSharkie
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X