Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look what's not allowed at school now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what's not allowed at school now...

Elementary Principal Bans Tag During Recess
    Chasing Game Considered Dangerous

POSTED: 8:11 am CDT October 18, 2006
    ATTLEBORO, Mass. -- Tag, you're out.

Students at Willett Elementary School in Attleboro can no longer play tag during recess. The same goes for touch football and other unsupervised "chasing" games.

The school's principal said there's too much risk of injury to children during games like tag.

Principal Gaylene Heppe is in her second year as principal at the school.

Parents are divided.

Debbie Laferriere -- who has two children at the school -- said playing tag is part of being a kid. She told the Sun-Chronicle of Attleboro that unsupervised games help children develop social skills that can be valuable later in life.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," Laferriere told the paper.

Other parents said it's ironic that schools are banning games like tag at a time of rising concern over childhood obesity.

"I think it's a little bit silly," said parent Christine McAndrews. "The kids love to play pick-up football games that they organize themselves. It's great for their social skills and they resolve things on their own. It's good for them."

But another parent, Celeste D'Elia, said she's witnessed a lot of "near collisions" between children and supports anything that makes the playground safer.

According to the paper, Willett Elementary is not alone. Schools in Cheyenne, Wyo. and Spokane, Wash. banned tag at recess. A suburban Charleston, S.C., school not only banned tagged, but outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.
    Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Let's not work on getting nutritional food, or decent textbooks in the classroom. Or make sure kids are doing their homework. No, no, the best thing to do is make sure they don't run into each other at recess.

God help us if someone falls down the steps, they'll have to build all 1 story schools. Or if they trip on the curb we'll have to get rid of those too. Why don't we just glue Tempurpedic mattresses everywhere to make sure they're all safe. Better yet, let's put them in suits with anti-collision alarms so that they really can't run into each other....
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Rediculous I tell ya.

Let kids be kids.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Comment

Yeah I guess dodgeball is outlawed too. I don't know why. I broke my wrist, nose three times, and sprained my ankle playing it. And I turned out ok .....right, RIGHT............
      J
      It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Let's just wrap kids in bubble wrap and have them sit around all day staring at the ceiling, so they won't get hurt. I'd hate to see these kids grow up and make it in the "real world"...of course by then, everything will be happy-shiny-we don't need physical contact...
        The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

Nobody gets out of bed, nobody gets hurt. So everyone! Stay home!
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

EFD, you can't do the bubble wrap thing. As much fun as it would be to push them over just to hear the popping that would damage their hearing.

I'm all for staying in bed.
            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Agreed

Staying in bed...excellent idea....although bubble wrap is pretty fun....

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
                But another parent, Celeste D'Elia, said she's witnessed a lot of "near collisions" between children and supports anything that makes the playground safer.
                How much you want to bet that Lil Debbie D'elia is forced to wear her helmet and nose guard whenever she goes outside. I'm sure THAT's good for her developing social skills.

Kids learn by doing, by interacting, by.. being KIDS. Let them have fun, get dirty, get hurt (within reason). The overprotective parents who advocate this are the same ones who will wonder why their 30 year old son won't stop playing Warcraft and move out of their basement.
                So you call this your free country
                Tell me why it costs so much to live
                -3dd

Comment

This principle has made herself the laughing stock of education and recreation. Tag, along with dodgeball and touch or flag football are classic schoolyard / backyard games that have been standard issue entertainment for 100 years. This idiot decides that all of a sudden, it is too dangerous? Wanna bet any one of us could walk into the school and within 5 minutes find 10 things more dangerous?
                  Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

"Near collisions"... that's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while. Funny, and utterly thtupid. This parent should have her drivers' licence taken away to protect her from near collisions. "Ma'am, it's in your own best interest".
                    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
                    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Comment

Someone better tell the poster (klienbergtruth), cuz I think it's a government conspiracy.
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Thats the good thing about Kiwi Land.

WE PLAY RUGBY.

Every knows you are going to get hurt for sure playing the game.

It is part of life.

Grow up and get over it.

Try that down here, and that Numb Nut teacher wouldn't have a child left in the school to teach.
                        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

I remember in elementary school we had a climbing pyramid made out of old tires, old 10' diameter electric reels stacked up and bolted together to play in and on, and everything else made out of steel so it rusted nicely. Add to it that the only padding underneath any of the playground equipment was the nice hard ground. None of this mulch or rubber padding junk. Ah, give me the early 80s, before it was against the law to get hurt.
                          Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Makes me wonder how any of us survived childhood. According to these people, the human race should be extinct since everything we grew up doing is now too dangerous.

Comment

"ok kids, no more physical education or recess, its too much of a legal liability"

I bet its the parents of those kids who come home from school with broken legs and half bitten off tounges.... I hear it happens alot.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X