X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dink9746
    replied
    Re: Last Chance

Once again Thanks for all who contributed... I will be glad to send emails of the paper... or post it on the forum if anyone would care to read it.

Leave a comment:

• boomwak
    replied
    Roy and Johnny

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Ok, I used this before, but what the heck....

I do it to get chicks. They appearantly dig the uniform-

Leave a comment:

• Dink9746
    replied
    Last Chance

Last Chance to post your thoughts, comments, and smart *** remarks (if you wnat) before the paper will be due. Thanks to all that have given me any input or shared a story, I greatly appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• LtTim556
    replied
    FTMPTB15, that wasn't cheesy at all. It is the truth. It is the danger we face that brings us together. We may fight like brothers and sisters often but when that alarm rings we forget we wanted to wring the neck of that person backing you up on that line. That is family. Those that face these sorts of dangers get that same feeling. Cops, EMS, and military, there is a special bond between people who face such dangers. That bond is part of the reason I love this work.

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by Dink9746
    I was wondering about anyone else out there. What do you think forges that bond between you and other firefighters? How do you think it works? What makes you feel close and like a family to the other guys on your Fire Department or other Departments?
    You know.. I'm going to do my best to give you my answer and attempt to not sound like a corn ball!

I think a big thing that drives the Brotherhood is the fact that no matter what happens, you always have your fellow brothers/sisters to "lean on." Because of the danger of this job and the things that we get into, it seems that the only people that "truly" understand how to 'support' us, are those who have been in the same situation as us. When the **** hits the fan and no one else is around to help, we can count on our brothers and sisters in the Fire Service. When no one else is around to experience what we experience, we know who to count on. No matter what happens, we always know who we can count on in the end. Day in and day out...

Also, if you EVER need something... help with yardwork, a ride somewhere, help moving, etc. etc.... all you have to do is make a couple calls. I can't think of too many other professions where co-workers socialize both ON and OFF duty. If a brother or sister needs help, fellow firefighters are always willing to step up to the plate and lend a helping hand. It's amazing that no matter where you go, if you visit a local fire house and tell them you are a firefighter in your city, they're always willing to open their doors and arms and bring you in. It truly is more than a job, it's a life style.. and only fellow firefighters can understand that life style.

Hope that didn't come across to cheesy!

Leave a comment:

• Dink9746
    replied
    Family and Brotherhood

After reading many of your posts I can see that in some way it is either in our blood, or it is because someone close to us got us into it... I Got one of my fellow classmates into the fire service.... From being on my department for only 2 years the bond between myself and all the other guys on my department is very strong, and I wouldn't hesitate to consider them part of my family....

I was wondering about anyone else out there. What do you think forges that bond between you and other firefighters? How do you think it works? What makes you feel close and like a family to the other guys on your Fire Department or other Departments?

Leave a comment:

• ducken
    replied
    For me it was family, I grew up around the firehouse, and I am 3rd generation. But why I contine to do it is ........ is it is in my blood. I could not imagine the siren blow and not be a part of it, not be able to answer the call for help. And now my little girl (6 now) is growing up around the firehouse and can't wait till she can join.

Leave a comment:

• Leeland
    replied
    Why I do it

As a volunteer, it is something that I always wanted to do. It's a vocation.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    That, in case you didnt notice, is one of the funny responses that HWoods mentioned.

Unless you were serious Dave.

Serious, who me?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Uh Huh................

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    That, in case you didnt notice, is one of the funny responses that HWoods mentioned.

Gee, Thanks for reminding me. There was a time when I had a Ford Crown Vic (Unmarked) for a Chief's vehicle. I did enjoy some fast trips in that one. I also enjoyed blowing thru radar and getting a friendly wave from the Cops who were sure that I was one of their own. Ahhhh....... Never a dull moment, and certainly another of the 626,830,721 reasons that I love doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2Capt
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1983
    Driving a BRT really fast and blowing through red lights and stop signs. The great pay and fantastic benies. All the nights/weekends/ holidays away from family.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Driving a BRT really fast and blowing through red lights and stop signs. The great pay and fantastic benies. All the nights/weekends/ holidays away from family.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter1219
    replied
    I got into firefighting becuase my father was the chief of my department when I was younger, and his father was also a firefighter. I always enjoyed being around the station and decided to join when I turned 18, while still in high school.

A few months after I joined, I caught a job (working structure fire) in Havana. We were second due for mutual aid. We stayed on scene around 4 or 5 hours. After everything was all cleaned up I went to my car to put my gear away. I heard someone behind me and turned around. There was an old man standing there staring at me. I stared back for a second, then he reached down, grabbed my hand and shook it. He then walked away without saying a word. I was hooked after that. I'm now the Training Officer and have been serving for over 5 years.

Later on that year I decided I wanted to go paid. I haven't found a paid department yet, but I have all the professional certifications required plus some and work in EMS.

Short answer, I do it because of the fun and family (mine and brotherhood).

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    I thought that my local department back in Kentucky was a paid on call and when I was told otherwise when turning in the application,I figured I was too far into it now to back out.
    Over the three years of volunteering that I did,I learned stuff that matched what I'd learned in the Navy in shipboard firefighting and things that never occurred to me.
    I got enough training to take the Firefighter I and II tests within 2 1/2 years,and have now completed EMT-IV school here in Tennessee and am waiting to be cleared to take the National Registry exam.
    I am wanting badly to return to Kentucky and my old volunteer department but have family concerns here that come first.
    One thing I've said in other forums was that the best part of being on a volunteer or paid fire department is you know more than what is shown on the 6 o'clock news.
    The bad thing is too often,you cannot discuss what you know about what the news couldn't or didn't show and that is not always a bad thing.

On reflection,one thing that needs to be said is rarely will you find someone regretting getting into this line of work.The hours are long,the pay is short or nonexistent,and it takes a lot out of you doing it,mentally,physically and emotionally.Still,there are kids at school visits that think this is the coolest thing they've ever heard of and there are people who've lost everything yer are so grateful to you and your department for working to keep their world from going really bad.
    I didn't join my old department to go screaming through town at 90+mph.I joined because I needed a job and found that helping when things went wrong was better than any paycheck.And I know the paid brethren and sistren don't do it just for the money either.
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X