Armed teachers? Maybe ... maybe not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redneckemt
    SIMPLE SOLUTION. SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS. Why put a rent a cop in a school, when you can put a real HIGHLY trained LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THERE INSTEAD.

LETS PUT A L.E.O. IN EVERY SCHOOL IN THE NATION. IT WILL WORK!!!
    No it won't. Many LEO's that work in schools (espically the worst one's) get disgruntled very quickly. Being a cop in a school is not the same as being a cop on the street. Something that everyone needs to remember is no matter what you do, no matter the security you put in place, a single determined person who has nothing to loose will find a way. You can't defend against everything.

Comment

I can't believe the idiot who presented the bill is getting any airtime, because this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
      Just because you hate President Bush, or Republicans, or whatever your particular issue with life is, keep an open mind. Maybe if you stayed informed, or watched some news, or read more about this particular legislators motive, you wouldn’t be calling him retarded. In fact, the most retarded thing I have heard recently, is you belittling mentally challenged people; be careful who you insult, or what names you use, you never know who will be insulted. I would also encourage you to look at where this legislator is from.
      His only goal is to stir debate to prompt an increase in school security, as well as safety. So far he has done more for that than anyone else has. Maybe something will get done, remember, no one wanted pilots armed, either.

To imply that teachers aren’t able to handle the additional responsibility, or aren’t capable is an insult to teachers. I also know several teachers who have served in the military, and as a result are quite familiar with weapons, and more capable with them than some police officers.
      Now that I think of it, the only retarded idea, is your post.

Comment

"According to Lasee, the method has been successful in Israel and Thailand, where schools were once heavily targeted by terrorists."

But we're condemning it as ridiculous out of hand.

Otay!

There are already cops in several schools. In the high school my kid would go to if I was lobotomized, the cops let a man walk through campus until he located and raped a student in the bathroom. He did encounter one of the wonderful PD. She told him to go to the office and went about the important business of walking around.

I'd rather flush my tax dollars down the toilet than give them to the local ISD.
        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcooke3
          No it won't. Many LEO's that work in schools (espically the worst one's) get disgruntled very quickly. Being a cop in a school is not the same as being a cop on the street. Something that everyone needs to remember is no matter what you do, no matter the security you put in place, a single determined person who has nothing to loose will find a way. You can't defend against everything.

Most of them LOVE IT. They find it the most rewarding job in Law Enforcement.

And yes I know it will not prevent all school shootings. The first Officer on scene at Columbine was that schools SRO. Now what would have happened had he been there when it started? Or if he had been better armed? Now it might not be 100% effective, but it's better than putting Rent a Cops in the school
          FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyThirteen
            Amen. This would solve alot of problems with kids these days.
            Doesnt seem to be the kids shooting up the schools as of late.
            Warm Regards,
            Shawn Stoner
            EMT-B

Comment

I say place a uniformed, certified police officer in the schools - Want to really pi** in the tax-payers corn-flakes ?......Make this an overtime detail for the police officers in which school taxes have to be raised to support this. Once the parents start to see that this an outrageous amount of tax money maybe it'll make 'em start acting like parents, disipline their kids, and keep them from being thugs to begin with.

Another good part of having uniformed officers is a case like happened in Lancaster, Pa last week......This tragedy probably wasn't preventable considering the location but with stationed officers in our schools violence among the little bullies, and outsider violence can and will be reduced. - Some Middle and High Schools are like small towns which can even be said for a small percentage of elementry schools in our nation. They should be protected as though they were.

I feel safer and would consider home schooling my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper45
                Just because you hate President Bush, or Republicans, or whatever your particular issue with life is, keep an open mind. Maybe if you stayed informed, or watched some news, or read more about this particular legislators motive, you wouldn’t be calling him retarded. In fact, the most retarded thing I have heard recently, is you belittling mentally challenged people; be careful who you insult, or what names you use, you never know who will be insulted. I would also encourage you to look at where this legislator is from.
                His only goal is to stir debate to prompt an increase in school security, as well as safety. So far he has done more for that than anyone else has. Maybe something will get done, remember, no one wanted pilots armed, either.

To imply that teachers aren’t able to handle the additional responsibility, or aren’t capable is an insult to teachers. I also know several teachers who have served in the military, and as a result are quite familiar with weapons, and more capable with them than some police officers.
                Now that I think of it, the only retarded idea, is your post.

First off, I didn't call anybody a retard. I attacked the idea, not the person so if you're insulted by that then you need to grow a thicker skin. Second, I never said teachers were incapable of handling this responsibility, my point is that most teachers won't want the responsibility. Teachers bitch when they have to monitor the halls in between classes, you think they're going to be ok with having to go through all the extra training and work that comes with being armed? Teachers get paid to teach, not to get in a gun battle with a psycho kid on a rampage. This bill is just another example of a shallow superficial attempt at trying to solve a problem. The issue here isn't that people can't defend themselves when a kid goes on a rampage, the real issue is that the kid should never even get into that situation in the first place. There are deep psychological and social problems that cause these incidents, and the focus should be on addressing those problems instead of saying "to hell with it, it's ok that these kids go on rampages because we have 100 armed teachers in school that will cut him in half with self-defense weapons if he acts out." The focus should be on identifying the kids with problems, and stopping the situation before it ever happens. When you've got a kid shooting up a school, it's too late, you've lost either way. Your armed brigade of teachers isn't going to stop the severe emotional trauma that the students will have to carry for the rest of their lives. Same goes for the teacher or teachers that had to pull the trigger on one of their students. This bill misses the point completely, and thats why it's ridiculous.
                New York State EMT-B

Comment

what if...

...the students or town knew teachers were packing. then if someone snapped, the first thing theyd do is go after the teachers. maybe before negotiations. theyd be targeted to quickly. if they get guns, theyd need vests and helmets too.

Comment

Who pays for range time to keep them proficient?

Who pays for the ammunition.

Oh the Headlines, the despair.

Jonny pulls imitation .22 pistol. Teacher kills 10 with .45 magnum. Misses Jonny completely.

Yup, thats about all folks.

Most people in the military would be better off throwing the damn pistol at the bad guy than trying to shoot them in a stress situation.

And you are asking teachers to be intelligent (No offense to StayBack500Feet, wherever he is).
                    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by SSTONER
                      Doesnt seem to be the kids shooting up the schools as of late.
                      No,it's adults with problems that their therapist didn't see.
                      I must break the mold:I've got problems,I've got firearms and other weapons.But when I want to solve them,I don't even think of reaching for the key to the gun rack.
                      Imagine that.

Comment

This was discussed on NPR yesterday. One good point brought up is that even if you have an LEO in the school, if they're in a stationary position, maning a metal detector for example, all the badguy has to do is get the jump on them and they have open access to the rest of the facility. Having an LEO "patrolling" makes it a little harder, but it would still be pretty easy to get the jump on 'em.

I don't like the idea of arming Teachers either. They're not cops, they don't have the physical training (range time) required to shoot accurately, and they probably won't have the mental state of mind to pull the trigger when they need to. Teaching is hard enough without throwing more responsibility on them that they weren't trained to handle.

On the other hand, arming the Teachers may make it easier to Teach... "I know what you're thinking,'was it answer A, or answer B'? You've got to ask yourself one question, Do you feel lucky? Well, Do ya'.. Punk?"

Unless schools turn into prisons, total security is impossible. As was said above, a determined individual with nothing to loose will always find a way in. I think one factor in why the number of incidents is increasing is the increased media coverage/swarm that occurs. People/kids now know they can get attention by doing it and they've seen the media circus that results. Most of the time that is their desired goal, whether they realize it or not.
                        So you call this your free country
                        Tell me why it costs so much to live
                        -3dd

Comment

What about the teachers who object to having anything to do with firearms? Do they then lose the jobs that they have had for the past 20 years?
                          Off the top of my head I cant think of a school shooting in Australia. Our last major shooting spree was 10 years ago after which we made it very hard for people to own guns; further we banned many types of deadlier guns.
                          I know you yanks dont like hearing it but it works for the rest of the world...
                          Only problem is that you guys have too many guns so its too late to do anything about it. Why do you continue to sell handguns to people? At least make that illegal so that if you have gun weilding maniacs they cant conceal their weapon until its too late; give people a chance to notice the gun and call the cops.
                          "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

i agree that some measures should be taken to heighten awareness and security in schools. but i dont think it would be a good idea to allow a teacher to arm themselves. where i live, most of the schools have police officers ( or resource officers ) assigned to the school. they are armed and have full arrest powers. some other schools hire private security guards. my school was a small catholic school, and we only had one police officer assigned for about 3 weeks to our school after the shooting at Columbine occured. i just hate that these days that it is getting so bad in the schools to were teachers must arm themselves. thats a really good leason to teach kids these days, that you cant even go to school without being around violence and guns. what next??? the national guard
                            2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

Comment

Here's an idea that my commie pinko liberal teacher sister posited:have the parents raise their children to know right from wrong.That's THEIR job.Hers is to teach them readin','ritin' and 'rithmetic.
                              I've been driving an ice cream truck this summer and some of the kids are always brought by their parents to the curb and reminded to say"Please" and "Thank you" when getting ice cream and other kids,some as young as 5 or 6 are flashing what I "think" are gang signs.I've been living in Kentucky for 8 years and have only recently returned to my home town so I don't know for sure.
                              This is happening in the same neighborhoods as the folks teaching their kids how to speak to adults so it's not like I am having to go to different areas of town to see this.
                              Even though I had no respect for the principal and vice principal at school because they never asked for my side before deciding "He's been in fights before,he must be the instigator here",I knew not to think of taking a swing at them or going to my Dad's gun closet to get revenge.
                              When there are fights in schools that start despite the presence of teachers,it shows that kids aren't learning to respect their elders.
                              They need to before someone decides,like John Wayne,to teach them respect for their betters.

Comment

Originally posted by PattyV
                                What about the teachers who object to having anything to do with firearms? Do they then lose the jobs that they have had for the past 20 years?
                                Off the top of my head I cant think of a school shooting in Australia. Our last major shooting spree was 10 years ago after which we made it very hard for people to own guns; further we banned many types of deadlier guns.
                                I know you yanks dont like hearing it but it works for the rest of the world...
                                Only problem is that you guys have too many guns so its too late to do anything about it. Why do you continue to sell handguns to people? At least make that illegal so that if you have gun weilding maniacs they cant conceal their weapon until its too late; give people a chance to notice the gun and call the cops.
                                Isn't the rate of violent crime at a record high in the Uk, Canada, and in Australia? And isn't there still alot of gun crime?

Look at Israel and Switzerland, countires in which every citizen is trained and allowed to care guns. Their (other than terrorist incidents) violent crime rates aren't very high. Why it's not a question of "IF" someone is packing it's a question of "WHAT"

IF YOU CRIMINALIZE GUNS ONLY THE CRIMINALS WILL HAVE GUNS.
                                FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X