• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Oh.... Nyc Cops Are Gonna Freak!

Doughnuts In Danger As NYC Mulls Fat Ban
    Product Found Millions Of U.S. Kitchens

POSTED: 7:19 am EDT September 27, 2006

NEW YORK -- Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

Doctors agree that trans fats are unhealthy in nearly any amount, but a spokesman for the restaurant industry said he was stunned the city would seek to ban a legal ingredient found in millions of American kitchens.

"Labeling is one thing, but when they totally ban a product, it goes well beyond what we think is prudent and acceptable," said Chuck Hunt, executive vice president of the city's chapter of the New York State Restaurant Association.

He said the proposal could create havoc: Cooks would be forced to discard old recipes and scrutinize every ingredient in their pantry. A restaurant could face a fine if an inspector finds the wrong type of vegetable shortening on its shelves.

The proposal also would create a huge problem for national chains. Among the fast foods that would need to get an overhaul or face a ban: McDonald's french fries, Kentucky Fried Chicken and several varieties of Dunkin' Donuts.

Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden acknowledged that the ban would be a challenge for restaurants, but he said trans fats can easily be replaced with substitute oils that taste the same or better and are far less unhealthy.

"It is a dangerous and unnecessary ingredient," Frieden said. "No one will miss it when it's gone."

A similar ban on trans fats in restaurant food has been proposed in Chicago and is still under consideration, although it has been ridiculed by some as unnecessary government meddling.

The latest version of the Chicago plan would only apply to companies with annual revenues of more than $20 million, a provision aimed exclusively at fast-food giants.

A few companies have moved to eliminate trans fats on their own.

Wendy's announced in August that it had switched to a new cooking oil that contains no trans fatty acids. Crisco now sells a shortening that contains zero trans fats. Frito-Lay removed trans fats from its Doritos and Cheetos. Kraft's took trans fats out of Oreos.

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

Walt Riker, vice president of corporate communications at McDonald's, said in a statement Tuesday that the company would review New York's proposal.

"McDonald's knows this is an important issue, which is why we continue to test in earnest to find ways to further reduce (trans fatty acid) levels," he said.

New York's health department had asked restaurants to impose a voluntary ban last year but found use of trans fats unchanged in recent surveys.

Under the New York proposal, restaurants would need to get artificial trans fats out of cooking oils, margarine and shortening by July 1, 2007, and all other foodstuffs by July 1, 2008. It would not affect grocery stores. It also would not apply to naturally occurring trans fats, which are found in some meats and dairy.

The Board of Health has yet to approve the proposal and will not do so until at least December, Frieden said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration began requiring food labels to list trans fats in January.

Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard University School of Public Health, praised New York health officials for considering a ban, which he said could save lives.

"Artificial trans fats are very toxic, and they almost surely causes tens of thousands of premature deaths each year," he said. "The federal government should have done this long ago."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

what does it mean

Does this mean that when the "goody two shoes" of the world and the "meddling governement beauracrats" get through dictating to the rest of us what we can and cannot eat, do, say, feel, etc. that we will all live to be over 100. Will Social Security last that long? Does anybody give s**t anymore? What ever happened to good old mashed potatoes, gravy, beef and green beans?

Comment

Thank God. I was getting sick of all that second-hand Fat.
      So you call this your free country
      Tell me why it costs so much to live
      -3dd

Comment

Whatever happened to everything in moderation? Yeah, trans fats aren't that good for you, but too much of anything is not good for you. I guess it just irks me that not too many people like to put stock in personal accountability anymore.

Oh well...such is life in this day and age.
        Tom Warshaw
        Station 13 (Bethel)
        Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

What ever happened to good old mashed potatoes, gravy, beef and green beans?
          HEY, thats what I had for lunch today! (well ok.. it was mixed veggies not beans) LOL
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyThirteen
            Whatever happened to everything in moderation? Yeah, trans fats aren't that good for you, but too much of anything is not good for you. I guess it just irks me that not too many people like to put stock in personal accountability anymore.

Oh well...such is life in this day and age.
            I learned the everything in moderation thing a long time ago.

Uh, oh. Better ban the consumption of bananas due to the fact that the contain radionuclides!
            Learn about it here!!
            http://water.me.vccs.edu/concepts/radionuclides.html
            Shawn M. Cecula
            Firefighter
            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

radicals

Wasn't it one of the James Bond movies with sean Connery that they mentioned "free radicals" ? Come to think of it isn't that we have a whole bunch of in this world is free radicals?

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9
                Thank God. I was getting sick of all that second-hand Fat.

now that's funny

Comment

Ya, they cost bugger all to get, but a real pain to "maintain" and control. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbrooks
                    now that's funny
                    Twas tongue-in-cheek, but actually had a point.

I don't mind if someone chooses to partake in certain behavior that is detrimental to their well being as long as it does not affect others. Just don't expect me to pay, or have sympathy, for the results of that behavior. There are a lot of things that I think fall into this category, seatbelts and helmets being the biggest. Smoking is an example where it affects surrounding people, so I don't mind it being banned in public areas.

If you choose to eat buckets of TransFat a day, then be pround of that choice. But also be responsible for the result of that choice and don't come to me complaining that you're picked last in gym class.
                    -3dd

Comment

Perfect example of stupid legislation by stupid politicians.
                      Last edited by RoughRider; 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM.
                      Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Comment

ok

voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health. Kids today don't get any good food even at home and yes I know that there are those that cannot afford it. They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game. And no I don't expect you to pay for me becuase I have insurance for everyhting I might indulge in that will cause me health problems and no I don't need or want your sympathy and yes there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.

Comment

Originally posted by lvwrench
                          voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health.
                          I don't know. I've never been a member of a school board. I agree with you that the food and drink provided/available at school should be healthy. I imagine the food is unhealthy because Unhealthy food is cheap, and schools are broke. The soda probably started because no kid is going to sink money into a machine for Welch's.

They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game.
                          Don't get me started on this.. it seems as though good parenting has gone out the window with personal responsibility.

... there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.
                          I think you and I agree.. did you single me out for a reason?
                          -3dd

Comment

voyager: not really. I wasn't sure if you had an agenda. My apologies because I did not want to start anything it is just that I get wound up over things like eggs are not good and then they say they are okay and stuff like that. It seems that the politicians and other government agencies can't make up their minds about what is good and what is bad from one minute to the next. That and I hate frivelous laws passed that are possible infringement on my civil rights. Just look at the fuss over drugs and where they can be had at a reasonable cost compared to this country. I figure the drug companies have a vested interest in selling at a high price here compared to other countries they provide too. Have a great day voyager and i like your post with the gun.

Comment

Corporate America did

Originally posted by lvwrench
                              voyager: Since we are in the mood to be serious then explain to me just who did away with the PE programs in schools and put in soda machines and fast food that is not worth spit for health. Kids today don't get any good food even at home and yes I know that there are those that cannot afford it. They don't excercise because they are glued to a video game. And no I don't expect you to pay for me becuase I have insurance for everyhting I might indulge in that will cause me health problems and no I don't need or want your sympathy and yes there are things that are for our own good but don't shove the world down my throat without asking.
                              Corporate America did. Fast food & soda corporations made school boards a deal they could not refuse. Sell our products exclusively and we buy you a new score board(including our logo), help pay for Astroturf & throw in some computers. Now for the latest they want to install satellite radio in school busses so they can beam ads to kids in transit. We are talking big money for cash strapped school districts.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X