Murphy's Laws of Firefighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy's Laws of Firefighting

This was inspired by a posting in the "Funniest Dispatch/Calls thread so if anyone has any Laws that apply to firefighting,feel free to toss your oar in.

I'll start off with:
    The only two guys that know how to operate newly acquired equipment will not be available when the new gear is actually deployed.

What new equipment worked GREAT during trials/practice is doomed to fail during line operations.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

You can go weeks without a fire, the minute you attend a family gathering all hell breaks loose.

PKFPD
      IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Once you take the engine/truck/whatever out for training and get all the lines off and charged a real call will come in.
        Fir Na Tine
        Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Nobody noticed that the fuel guage never left the full mark until the real call came in and they never made it out the door.

There is a convention in town and nobody is in charge because they are all at the show.

Comment

If the patient is going to barf, aim them at the person you like least...
            Be safe y'all!
            IACOJ Animal Control
            Ladder 8
            "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Comment

I have a 36 page collection of Murphy's laws of firefighting on my compouter at home!
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

murphy's law

statement at 8PM...."You know ....it's been real quiet, no middle of the night calls"

statement at 8 PM five days later - "please god - let me sleep through the night at least once this week"

Comment

The power saw that was started on the first pull on the ground one minute ago will not start now that it's on the roof. (At least the axe always starts)

Stay Safe
                  IACOJ
                  Last edited by Rayr49; 09-28-2006, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Your mask size is in direct proportion (that is to say, smaller) to the large meal you just ate 15 minutes prior to the job you are now crawling into.
                    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
                    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
                    IACOJ Tillerman

Comment

- Jump in the shower a call will come in

- Start cooking a call will come in

- Wash the truck you get a worker

-Take a s$%t and a call will come in

******=================
                      ******================
                      ******=================
                      ******================
                      =======================
                      =======================
                      =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

I have a 36 page collection of Murphy's laws of firefighting on my compouter at home!
                        Is that called SOP's?

The call will come in just as two FF's return the truck after sneaking it down the road to fill a friends swimming pool (for a bottle of Rum).

They WILL be caught hooking the truck up to the refill point about to start filling.

They WILL look very stupid when told, "Don't you rush now guys, its only a house fire 15 km away in the next township".

The Rum was "donated" to the station.

Blury Iriots.
                        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Also:

The minuteman load that you so carefully did and redid til you got it right will tangle up on the next call.

The brand new batteries that you personally replaced in the TIC will go flat when you least expect them to and can least afford to have them die on you.

When your officer says"Follow me,men!" and suddenly disappears,check the floor in front of you before proceeding. D

Fog proof face pieces-aren't.

And from another forum thread about parades:
                          The siren will always wind down just as you comment on "the big red sweater"on the sidelines loud enough that she and her husband hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyg26
                            statement at 8PM...."You know ....it's been real quiet, no middle of the night calls"

statement at 8 PM five days later - "please god - let me sleep through the night at least once this week"
                            We had a rule on my old volunteer department:No predicting calls when we are leaving for home from the last one.The IC will find the sh** job for you getting everyone up at Odarkthirty.

Comment

Originally posted by pkfd7505
                              You can go weeks without a fire, the minute you attend a family gathering all hell breaks loose.
                              Which is not always a bad thing.
                              "Train as if your life depends on it"
                              Always Remember *343*

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse