Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation Problems?

You'll see what I mean in a bit....

Want Bigger Paycheck? Head To Happy Hour. Survey Shows Drinkers Have Higher Salaries

POSTED: 9:20 am EDT September 21, 2006

If you're looking to make more money at your job, have a cocktail.

A recent study found that drinkers take home more money than those who avoid libations altogether.

Female drinkers earn 14 percent more than nondrinkers, while male drinkers make 10 percent more than abstainers, according to a study from the Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank.

Additionally, social male drinkers -- those who visit a bar at least once a month -- bring home another 7 percent in pay on top of the 10 percent premium.

"Social drinking builds social capital," said Edward Stringham, an economist at the foundation. "Social drinkers are out networking, building relationships and adding contacts to their BlackBerries that result in bigger paychecks."

No wonder they call it Happy Hour.

However, women don't benefit from social drinking, according to the study. Women who frequent bars at least once a month showed no difference in earnings than women who didn't.

The study was based on an article published in the Journal Labor Research earlier this year.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Or did I 'miss' something in the translation?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

think?

The study was done by the Reason Foundation, a nonprofit think tank. Apparently there is an oxymoron problem with this group or maybe they are all just morons period. But hey, if I could get more money for drinking, pour me a shot of JD and hand me my check.

Comment

But hey, if I could get more money for drinking, pour me a shot of JD and hand me my check.

AMEN to that one Brother!
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

So I take it we're all going out drinking tonight?

Comment

almost forgot

Geez; If it were on regular time that is one thing but if it is after duty hours then it's got to be worth time and a half and if it is a holiday then double time. If I get real "stinko" does that mean I hit the jackpot?

Comment

Hey!!.............

Count Me In!....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Just remember.

You never "Buy" a drink, you just rent it for a while.

Renting is a Tax Right Off.
              Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
              Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                Just remember.

You never "Buy" a drink, you just rent it for a while.

Renting is a Tax Right Off.

So if I'm just renting it, does that mean I get a deposit back?

Comment

Not only does drinking make you more money, but it also makes you better looking. Sometimes it even makes you stronger.
                  28 P.R.I.D.E.
                  Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
                  www.westmead1.com

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                    Or did I 'miss' something in the translation?
                    It's really quite simple. It's the female drinkers that drink at work that make the big bucks. Those that "frequent bars" to do their drinking are seen as Not Thinking Outside the Box by their management.
                    So you call this your free country
                    Tell me why it costs so much to live
                    -3dd

Comment

AAAhhhhh NOW I understand. hehehheee I can remember in the not so long ago past where if you didn't drink in the army, you weren't promoted, because unless you had been charged for drunk and disorderly at least once, the senior staff didn't know who you were, and therefore you were not "noticed".

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                        AAAhhhhh NOW I understand. hehehheee I can remember in the not so long ago past where if you didn't drink in the army, you weren't promoted, because unless you had been charged for drunk and disorderly at least once, the senior staff didn't know who you were, and therefore you were not "noticed".

Same thing for the navy.I served during a time when "active duty" was a synonym for"working alcoholic".
                        I am told that nowadays,if you show up at the quarterdeck after a good evening of imbibing your favorite adult beverage,you are put on report but before your Division officer hears of it,you Chief does.As they say on John Boy and Billy's Big Show,"This.Will.End.Badly."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X