Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Marty, Take a Hike!

Bracknell Firefighters’ Charity walk – the Hard Way

A team of eight firefighters from Bracknell will walk across Berkshire in full operational breathing apparatus this weekend to raise money for a local charity.

The firefighters will leave Bracknell fire station at 08.00 on Friday morning, wearing the metal cylinders, containing air, and supportive webbing harness, with face masks and fire helmets. They will walk to Newbury fire station that day and from Newbury to Maidenhead fire station on Saturday. The final leg of their journey on Sunday will be from Maidenhead, via Windsor and Slough fire stations before turning homewards to Bracknell, where they are expected to arrive late afternoon to be welcomed by friends and family.

Bracknell station manager Rob Watson said: “This will be tremendously demanding physically, the sets will start to feel very heavy and although the firefighters are used to wearing them, they would not usually be wearing them for such a long time or for such sustained periods of activity. They will have their masks on so it is not like breathing fresh air, it will definitely be a test of stamina.

“To ensure their welfare, the walkers will go in four teams of two so that they have a chance to rehydrate and rest and there will be a support team in place, together with vehicles carrying spare cylinders. The charity they are walking for, Anita’s Choice, was chosen because it involves a local lady who is known to the station and they wanted to do something unique to help. We will be carrying buckets with us so we hope that everyone who sees us will take the time to make a donation – I am sure that will help the walkers to feel that their blisters are all worthwhile!”

The firefighters also ran a competition to guess how many cylinders of air will be used up during the walk. The prize is a mountain bike, kindly donated by Halfords and all the proceeds will go to the charity appeal.

Wow, another one. Quite the awe-inspiring event.

Is Marts taking part?

Artie, did you see MartinM's pictures of when he did the same thing?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Having done a number of fundraiser myself i am pretty sure that those buckets will be yet another heavy burden. Only they wont be spread out over a lot of your body.
      "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

Is Marts taking part?
        Yup. I got an update yesterday, they are carrying on. Looking forward to some pics which I'll post when I get them

Comment

I can picture Marty (sub16Green on the forums for those who don't know him) in the lead with the rookies trailing behind!

Marts my Brother.. good luck!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt
            Yup. I got an update yesterday, they are carrying on. Looking forward to some pics which I'll post when I get them
            I figured so, based on your title. But hey, it was some ungodly hour like 5 in the morning when I posted! LOL

Went back to bed for a few hours and now I'm more awake.

GO MARTS GO!
            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Im posting at 9am local time and its an ungodly hour for me.
              "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X