Go Figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Figure

A little college prep/info for the young'ns going out into the world....

GO FIGURE
    College Students and Alcohol By Catherine Jones

2.1 MILLION
    Do you know what this figure represents?

Answer: That’s the number of college students between the ages of 18 and 24 who drove under the influence of alcohol in 2005.

Here are some other college drinking statistics*:

599,000 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 are unintentionally injured under the influence of alcohol

150,000 and more college students develop an alcohol-related health problem

11% of college students report participating in vandalism while under the influence of alcohol

25% of college students report that their schooling suffers as a result of alcohol consumption, including doing poorly on exams, missing classes and receiving lower grades overall.
    (*Source: US Federal government’s National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism)

-------------------------------------------------

10 Personal Safety Tips
    For College Students
    By Catherine Jones

The NIAAA statistics above are sobering — particularly for parents sending their child off to the first year at college. For many young people, this is the first time they’ve been solely responsible for their safety and security. And alcohol is not the only danger out there. Did you know that 80% of college crimes are committed by students against other students?

If you’re helping your son or daughter pack-up for college, tuck these tips into their suitcase to help them stay safe on campus:

Most campuses have a “panic phone” system. Know where these are.

Have a safety buddy, someone you can call for a ride or for help, and create a code word or phrase that means “Come help me out of this” or “I’m in trouble.”

Before going to a party, tell a friend where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Let them know if your plans change.

Take turns being a designated driver or sober companion. You could save someone’s life.

If a party gets out of hand, leave!

Never, ever leave your drink alone or with someone you don’t know. Date rape drugs are easy to use. And men are just as vulnerable as women.

Don’t take drinks or anything else from strangers, even food.

Don’t ride with drunk or drugged drivers.

Don’t offer rides to people you don’t know.

Trust your instincts!
    And here’s what parents can do:

Ask the college administrators about campus alcohol policies.

Talk to your kids about the legal penalties for underage drinking.

Discuss the possible consequences of drinking, including date rape, violence and school interference.

Know your child’s roommate and living arrangements.

Call your son or daughter frequently.

Courtesy of SafetyXchange.com
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Don't get me started on this thread too....I'm up to my neck already!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Whats that Ed? You have a son or daughter heading off to college, or you thinking about the stats?
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X