Department/Location for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department/Location for me?

Hi, I've been a volunteering for a few years now in two departments. Currently taking EMT school, and I am looking to take paramedic aswell. Have a few certs.... FF1, rope rescue I & II, extrication I, RIT + SCBA Competency, many live burns, IS-100/200/700, and a few other little things.....

I am looking for a career department with a tactical rescue team, but with a location that is within a couple hours of a ski resort, preferably closer, near a rural area that i can move once i have the job (so i need a department that allows this), and near some sort of water, large river, big lake, or ocean.

Currently I'm thinking about Hartford, CT, or some other place in the New England area. I have a lot of family in the Philadelphia area, so it would be nice ot stay within driving distance.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Btw, I have no clue if this is the place to post this, but I was hoping to get some insight from other people.

Thanks,
    Nick

Hate to bust the bubble, but...

Nobody is going to hire you because of the certs you have. Career departments are usually civil service and hold an entrance exam. CPAT, medical and psych exam before having you come in to sign on the dotted line and get sworn in. If they are not civil service, they still hold an all of the above.

If a Department has a tactical rescue team, you just can't waltz in and be put on it. You would have to earn the right to be on the team.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

ok....Like the Gonz said, its not about having "the certs". We have have them.

Basiclly, you are like 5000k+ other people right now. You want a career FF position. I would start focusing on where you exactly want to work and move there, become a reserve and focus.

Right now, your oral board skills might not be to par. I would recommend www.eatstress.com.

And I would recommend getting on board with the forums folks at www.firecareers.com.

Lastly, when I heard "ski resorts", I started thinking of the Colorado area or the Northern California/Nevada areas.

PM so we can talk more.

Comment

Have I got a job for you:

http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/commun...nt_index.shtml

Comment

Apply everywhere and anywhere. Once you are on the job, then you can start trying for other places that fit more into what you are ultimatly looking for.

For many departments, gettin the MICT license is a big plus. Especially in those cities in colorado and cali with.......ski resorts

Comment

Oh, by the way, you can ski within 3 hours:

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
              Nobody is going to hire you because of the certs you have. Career departments are usually civil service and hold an entrance exam. CPAT, medical and psych exam before having you come in to sign on the dotted line and get sworn in. If they are not civil service, they still hold an all of the above.

If a Department has a tactical rescue team, you just can't waltz in and be put on it. You would have to earn the right to be on the team.
              LOL, I was just posting that info to show that I have trained in that stuff and like it. I know certs mean nothing, they aren't really even transferable out of state. I also know I can't waltz onto a tactical team, but I wouldn't want to join a department that doesn't have one, cause then I couldn't earn my way on their non existant team.

I'm just asking for ideas. I know its not easy getting onto paid departments, and I know how the whole civil service works, but if i'm gonna move to a city, and apply to a department, I want to choose the right department to go for, as a permenant thing.

And as for New York, I think it said something like I had to live either in NYC or in the 5 surrounding counties. None of which have very rural areas which I'm looking for.

You guys dont have to be so rude about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant516

Wow...I didnt know I was being rude.

Comment

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
                  Wow...I didnt know I was being rude.
                  Sorry, I misread yours, but I was in the mindset of being defensive when I was told I can't just waltz into a TRT. I knew that, and felt like I was being told I don't know anything about the Fire Department.

Comment

You should start some FD training with some vitamin therapy:

Last edited by E229Lt; 08-24-2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

E229Lt, curious as to where that picture was from?
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

You might wanna get used to having your * ahem chops busted. As a probie in virtually any large department that might think think about having a Rescue team, you will most likely have your *ahem behind chewed and/or handed to you on a regular basis.

P.S. noone here has been rude to you yet at all. Even Bou who gets taken wrong on here constantly !
                        I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

. I knew that, and felt like I was being told I don't know anything about the Fire Department.
                          If you are hired somewhere, don't be suprised that many feel you "don't" know anything. Previous experience is rarely used and most depts could care less with what you think you know.

Comment

Originally posted by ehs7554
                            If you are hired somewhere, don't be suprised that many feel you "don't" know anything. Previous experience is rarely used and most depts could care less with what you think you know.
                            Oh I know. Believe me, my attitude in the fire department is that I know only a VERY little and am open to any training, suggestions, etc. I also know that some career guys think that volunteers are a joke and aren't firefighters. (We all know the volunteers disagree with that for the most part, there are some volly's that are a joke though). But if you knew me, you would see me constantly going to the academy, listening to guys with more experience, constantly talking to county instructors. The more I train, and the more I drill, the more I realize I know nothing. Training opens my eyes to how little I know in the VAST field of firefighting.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X