X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamuelFire
    replied
    Originally posted by superchef
    Apparently he has not bothered to read the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII. I hope she gets her job back and the church fires him.

Title VII does not supercede the First Amendment.

The church has the right whether anyone agrees with or not. Now if the congregation decides that he is wrong, they may fire him.

It is their situation.

Leave a comment:

• firetruckred
    replied
    Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    "Missed the boat" was in reference to the Church and to the Pastor who filed the dimsissal orders.

Playing Devil's Advocate in a church matter..... is that an oxymoron?
    Good one 27. : )

Leave a comment:

• jasper45
    replied
    What is WELS?

Cap, it's the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. I should also clarify that the WELS does allow women to teach, both Sunday school and parochial, they don't allow them to be pastors, though. My mom has taught in the synod for over 25 years now. The link below is the web-site of the synod.

http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by jasper45
    Not in the least Cap, but I grew up in the WELS, another church group routinely accused of being "discriminatory". If you don't agree with the teachings, there are other church's you can belong to, or not. I don't think it's sexist at all. It's no different than an ultra liberal church approving/condoning gay or lesbian marriage, something I will never accept, hence the reason I will never belong to a church that recognizes that.
    I could argue against the point this church is making, but won't. I will simply say that I won't be joining that denomination, either.
    What is WELS?

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    "Missed the boat" was in reference to the Church and to the Pastor who filed the dimsissal orders.

Playing Devil's Advocate in a church matter..... is that an oxymoron?

Leave a comment:

• DaSharkie
    replied
    There was nothing wrong with the way it was posted the first time. (Personally speaking)

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Sharkie, that may be... and in your example perhaps I would agree, if Ms Lambert was taking up a newly appointed position as a Sunday School teacher. But after 54 years?? Somebody missed the boat on this one.
    Perhaps this is a new pastor or a change in policy. Like I said, it is pretty lame.

Then again, it could be seen as a change in "policy" or in this case "doctrine." Either way.........

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Understood...I've corrected my post to include "those other churches."
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jasper45
    replied
    They won't let women teach and justify it by quoting Paul.....and then there are those churches who turn the other cheek...so to speak, when the priests molest young boys.

Make sure you're criticizing the correct church first. My synod has no priests, it allows pastors to marry, and doesn't "turn the other cheek" to child molestation, or any other crime.
    In fact, a pastor in my synod is basically a double PHD before they are allowed to teach in a church, and are fluent in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.
    Not all churchs are equal.

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    They won't let women teach and justify it by quoting Paul.....and then there are those other churches who turn the other cheek...so to speak, when the priests molest young boys. Puleeeeeze!
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM. Reason: Edited for correctness

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Well put Jasper.

Leave a comment:

• jasper45
    replied
    Does that negate the education of those of us who went to Parochial schools and were taught by the Nuns?
    Not in the least Cap, but I grew up in the WELS, another church group routinely accused of being "discriminatory". If you don't agree with the teachings, there are other church's you can belong to, or not. I don't think it's sexist at all. It's no different than an ultra liberal church approving/condoning gay or lesbian marriage, something I will never accept, hence the reason I will never belong to a church that recognizes that.
    I could argue against the point this church is making, but won't. I will simply say that I won't be joining that denomination, either.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    The reverend recently dismissed Lambert, who had taught Sunday school for 54 years, citing the biblical advice of the apostle Paul: "I do not permit a woman to teach "
    Does that negate the education of those of us who went to Parochial schools and were taught by the Nuns?

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Sharkie, that may be... and in your example perhaps I would agree, if Ms Lambert was taking up a newly appointed position as a Sunday School teacher. But after 54 years?? Somebody missed the boat on this one.

Leave a comment:

• DaSharkie
    replied
    Not saying that I condone it at all, because I do not.

But some churches have a strict Biblical interpretation of the Bible and restricting women in certain roles within the church.

I tend to disagree with them, but some do not.

Same belief and roots that the Roman Catholics have with women being Priests.

Leave a comment:

• superchef
    replied
    deleted by user
    Last edited by superchef; 09-03-2007, 11:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X