More Sexist Hogwash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Sexist Hogwash

Man... I am pretty sure I was born and raised in the TWENTIETH century, not the FOURTEENTH. My "modern" attitudes prevent me from commenting further.

Sunday School Teacher Let Go For Being Female
    Woman Taught Sunday School For 54 Years

POSTED: 8:45 am EDT August 21, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

WATERTOWN, N.Y. -- The pastor of a church that has stopped letting women teach Sunday school said that won't affect his decisions as a city councilman in upstate New York.

Web Site: First Baptist Church In Watertown
    Web Site: Watertown City Council

Rev. Timothy LaBouf dismissed a female Sunday School teacher this month, saying a woman can perform any job -- outside the church.

The First Baptist Church in Watertown dismissed Mary Lambert Aug. 9 after adopting what it called a literal interpretation of the Bible.

The reverend recently dismissed Lambert, who had taught Sunday school for 54 years, citing the biblical advice of the apostle Paul: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

Lambert has publicly criticized the decision.

The church board said other issues were behind Lambert's dismissal, but it did not say what they were.

LaBouf, who also serves on the Watertown City Council, issued a statement saying his stance against women teaching men in Sunday school would not affect his decisions as a city leader in Watertown, where all five members of the council are men but the city manager who runs the city's day-to-day operations is a woman.

"I believe that a woman can perform any job and fulfill any responsibility that she desires to" outside the church, LaBouf wrote Saturday.

Mayor Jeffrey Graham, however, was bothered by the reasons given Lambert's dismissal.

"If what's said in that letter reflects the councilman's views, those are disturbing remarks in this day and age," Graham said. "Maybe they wouldn't have been disturbing 500 years ago, but they are now."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

There is a survey at:

www.nbc4.com/family/9708083/detail.html
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Just another day in small town paradise.

Thanks for the read 27. Helps me get a grip on understanding the ways here in my own smallville.

Comment

Sexual discrimination is alive and well in the First Baptist Church.

Looking at the Rev's pic, it would seem that Mary Lambert was teaching Sunday School while the Rev was two separate components in two different bodies.

In a world where the churches are struggling and beg to get people involved, they do something stupid like this and manage to drive people away.
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
        In a world where the churches are struggling and beg to get people involved, they do something stupid like this and manage to drive people away.
        yup..
        First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

Nothing wrong with this!

When can we expect the World Witch Burning Series? If we step back in time, there is money to be made

Not a good time for cauldron and broom manufacturers--pet store owners busy spraying black cats any colour other than black- Newts and Toads are not in demand --price of Ducking Stools soar.

Remember to cast the first stone--see your local Quarry for best choice of stones--small--medium-largish and for the real serious "Stoner" The Mighty Mega-Rock guaranteed to kill.

Who said religion is dull? Go for it, Prayer Pilots!

Stocks and shares tip--go heavy on Ducking Stools and Rocks

Comment

deleted by user
            Last edited by superchef; 09-03-2007, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Not saying that I condone it at all, because I do not.

But some churches have a strict Biblical interpretation of the Bible and restricting women in certain roles within the church.

I tend to disagree with them, but some do not.

Same belief and roots that the Roman Catholics have with women being Priests.
              "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Sharkie, that may be... and in your example perhaps I would agree, if Ms Lambert was taking up a newly appointed position as a Sunday School teacher. But after 54 years?? Somebody missed the boat on this one.
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

The reverend recently dismissed Lambert, who had taught Sunday school for 54 years, citing the biblical advice of the apostle Paul: "I do not permit a woman to teach "
                  Does that negate the education of those of us who went to Parochial schools and were taught by the Nuns?
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Does that negate the education of those of us who went to Parochial schools and were taught by the Nuns?
                    Not in the least Cap, but I grew up in the WELS, another church group routinely accused of being "discriminatory". If you don't agree with the teachings, there are other church's you can belong to, or not. I don't think it's sexist at all. It's no different than an ultra liberal church approving/condoning gay or lesbian marriage, something I will never accept, hence the reason I will never belong to a church that recognizes that.
                    I could argue against the point this church is making, but won't. I will simply say that I won't be joining that denomination, either.

Comment

Well put Jasper.
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

They won't let women teach and justify it by quoting Paul.....and then there are those other churches who turn the other cheek...so to speak, when the priests molest young boys. Puleeeeeze!
                        Last edited by NJFFSA16; 08-24-2006, 07:38 AM. Reason: Edited for correctness
                        Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                        Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                        On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

They won't let women teach and justify it by quoting Paul.....and then there are those churches who turn the other cheek...so to speak, when the priests molest young boys.

Make sure you're criticizing the correct church first. My synod has no priests, it allows pastors to marry, and doesn't "turn the other cheek" to child molestation, or any other crime.
                          In fact, a pastor in my synod is basically a double PHD before they are allowed to teach in a church, and are fluent in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.
                          Not all churchs are equal.

Comment

Understood...I've corrected my post to include "those other churches."
                            Last edited by NJFFSA16; 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM.
                            Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                            Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                            On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

There was nothing wrong with the way it was posted the first time. (Personally speaking)

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                              Sharkie, that may be... and in your example perhaps I would agree, if Ms Lambert was taking up a newly appointed position as a Sunday School teacher. But after 54 years?? Somebody missed the boat on this one.
                              Perhaps this is a new pastor or a change in policy. Like I said, it is pretty lame.

Then again, it could be seen as a change in "policy" or in this case "doctrine." Either way.........
                              "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X