Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What images come to mind when you think of firefighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firetruckred
    replied
    Ftmptb15

As usual 15, you bring so much to the Firehouse threads. Thank you for you posts. I always enjoy reading them because I know I will learn or gain something from them.

I love the pics : )

Red

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    I enjoy the Norman Rockwell type view of the fire service:

Last edited by KenNFD1219; 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    Here's a thought...This is the scene in every one of our fire houses each and every year.

How about a picture of a firehouse Christmas tree, all decorated with firefighting stuff interlaced among the traditional Christmas decorations and a Toys-for-Tots collection box full of presents for the kids beside the tree?

Another idea is a fire engine/truck delivering presents to needy families with the firefighters all wearing Santa hats.

Still another is a fire company teaching fire safety to a group/classroom of kids.

I like the pictures of firefighters helping out the community in ways not commonly thought of by the general public when they think of the fire service.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• firenresq77
    replied
    Another photgrapher.........

www.mattsphoto.com

He is a Toledo FF and does photography on the side. He also has a book published called "Smoke Showing" that is all fire pics

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Here's another...

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Here's a good one....

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    My one piece of advice....check out all the advertisements and "staged" photos you find regarding firefighters and notice how many of them have the following elements...

1) A firefighter with a rugged, manly goatee or beard

2) A firefighter with his face caked with grimy, sooty black stuff

Now, forget you saw them, because they're unrealistic. Any firefighter who is required to wear breathing apparatus will not have a beard or goatee. The macho looking goateed model in the photo is not a firefighter.

Also, I've never seen anybody get as grimy as the "firefighters" they show in advertisements...unless someone came up and smeared his face with a sooty glove as a joke. You will be tired, sweaty, and smelly, but unless you're a total "Pigpen" type you generally won't have black crap all over your face....your gear, maybe, but the stuff they layer on guys for these photo shoots is kind of ridiculous.

Just a pet peeve of mine....those kinds of photos irritate me.....

(BTW, I'm talking about structural firefighting....I suppose wildland guys may be allowed to wear beards because they generally won't be using SCBA....and after 3 or 4 days in the woods maybe you will get that sooty.....)

Leave a comment:

• Artist
    replied
    Thanks MalahatTwo7, that'd be cool.

275fbvfd, that first one is pretty intense. . . it'd be difficult, working with the gray which kind of infuses the entire pic, but in the end it makes a lot of sense because of the smoke. I'm not sure I could do it justice because I rely on color so much in my paintings. . .it'd be a good contrast though.
    Last edited by Artist; 05-05-2008, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    I am at work as I write this, but am just thinking, I might have a few pics from my old dept - rather generic - meaning they are "clean" of things like names, licence plate numbers and other personal information. I'll see if I can dig them up later.

Leave a comment:

• 275fbvfd
    replied
    Pretty much like the others said. Eagles and all that have been played out for a while. Show the real hard stuff about firefighting. missed meals, missed family events, how bout a firefighter in uniform picking up their child from daycare? something real.

just my .02 cents.

Also, not sure if you are looking for any type of photos in particular. but heres a couple, hope they help you find what your looking for.

Last edited by 275fbvfd; 08-18-2006, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PattyV
    replied
    I like the idea of paintings of things in a firehouse. The story of a raging fire has been told many times in many paintings. The behind-the-scenes story would be a lot more original.
    On a lighter tone of what Rick said; i was once at a bushfire for three days before my ex-girlfriend realised that i was at one. She had called up my house (this is when i lived with my mum) asking where i was a few times and all my mother said was: 'He is just down at the Fire Brigade dear.' I think in the end it was good of my mum to do that because it stopped my girlfriend from worrying about me too much, she was a bit doughy and didnt make the connection that there was quite a number of bushfires burning around the place at the time.
    Its the curse of being a vollie that your family gets to know when you have a fire and they worry the whole time that you are there. It gets a little hard on them.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Or to add a bit to SPFD's idea of the 1/2 ate meal.... Mom 'n kids at the table, in similar fashion. I think a whole lot too many of us have had been there.

Mostly, this is a story of events, but after September 11 2001, I was transfered to a ship, in preparation to sail for OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM/OPERATION APPOLO (depeding on which flag you sailed under) and my last night home was one similar to the bit above here.

My (now ex) wife and I had dinner reservations for my last night home before going away for the "extended" cruise. Just as I reached for the car keys on the wall peg, the tones dropped for a multi-car MVI. I will never forget the look in her eyes as I stopped. And waited - I never waited when the tones dropped. Waited to hear what and where the event was occuring.

As it turned out, the incident was south, towards Victoria and our line of travel, so there was no good of me staying home. I attended the call, was back in about 45 minutes, and we were only about 15 minutes late for our reservation. She called ahead and advised the resturant of our delay and they were very accommodating of it.

Unfortunately, I am sure we have all seen our spouses eyes and those of our children when we have promised something or planned an activity only to have that broken by the tones dropping.

I think that was one of those images that I try not to think on too much.....

Leave a comment:

• Artist
    replied
    SPFDRum, it's a good concept. . . how would people know it was a table in a firestation, though? Might have to stage it a little, and get a pic that showed, off in the distance, a firefighter sliding down the pole. If you take the pic, I'll see if I can paint it. : )

Thanks MalahatTwo7, I appreciate it.

At the station I went to, everything was red. . . I took a photo that I didn't end up painting from because I ran out of time, but it was a KitchenAid blender (fire engine red, of course), right next to a Dr. Pepper can. The colors were perfect. I was going to call it "First Aid"

And yeah, it was just sitting on their kitchen counter.
    Last edited by Artist; 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    What about this one? I think it tells a good story...

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Photograrpher interference is a sport in some communities. But there's nothing illegal about it.
    Sighh.. ya been known to engage in that sport with "casual" bystanders on some of the messier calls. Last one of particular note was the fatality we had in March 2004. In the end, 3 of us chased this one Photo-Dork away, until he finally got himself right out of the way by climbing up the rock face and got above us. After that, there wasnt much we could do about him.

And Dan, those are some mighty fine prints you have going there. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X