Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What images come to mind when you think of firefighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan

Washing drying hoses and nozzles (what Patty and I call Branches) repacking equipment, replacing used gear, testing equipment like pumps or cutting gear are all a big part of the job.

Even for Voli's they can be more important than doing the run with the truck. If these things are not done right, the gear isn't put back where it should be, or the person can not use it in complete darkness, then the end result can get real messy real fast.

These seem like small things to most people looking from the outside, but for us they are life savers, and crucial to giving the best we can when needed.

Flashy hype and "glory boy" photos do not portray us as well as the small things that occur all the time.

The grin on your friends face when you hear the next due truck coming in the distance on a bad job, the quiet encouragement and support from a good Boss at a bad scene. Tears in the eyes of all the members when a Father stops by the station to say thanks for saving his son.

These things matter to most of us. And the images are clearer in our heads than any photo could do justice to.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

I, too, am not a big fan of halos and eagles and such. I'm both religious and patriotic... but I think that there is a metric ton of cheezy art floating around about my profession since 9/11 -- and none of it does anything for me.

As far as taking photos at incidents, the rules vary from department to department. If you're riding out with a department, you're going to have to follow their rules. However, if you show up at an incident on your own... You're free to take pictures of whatever you want -- as long as you stay out of the way. Now, that's not to say that somebody won't try to stop you. Photograrpher interference is a sport in some communities. But there's nothing illegal about it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artist
        CALFFBOU, cool shot, but for my purposes it probably wouldn't work just because of the lost detail in the coat and gear. . . as a photo it definitely works, as a painting, I think the arm would appear too short and there's just not enough detail in the firefighter himself.
        Man- I cant win to lose in here.

How about this one-

One of my favorites!

-Bou

Comment

Originally posted by Artist
          FTMPTB15, I don't know that any of those specifically would work, but they're definitely the style of what I'm looking for. Obviously I've got to be careful with copyright, even with painting from a photo; so I'd need to talk to the photographers themselves and get permission, etc. . . The other side of it is that I'd prefer a picture either taken specifically for my projects, or simply ones that aren't mass produced for retail anyway.

If you have a couple of email addresses, I wouldn't mind talking with the photographers about it.
          I can get you in contact with the photographer of those photos. There are tons more, those are just a few that I vividly remember liking. I don't have an "artist's eye" so you might find some others that you think are better, but all of the pictures were taken "on da job" so obviously it's not a controlled environment so lighting, clarity, etc. won't be perfect.

Most common overlooked part of the job... clean-up and operating the pump:

The above photos were taken by Lee Wilson, and are found on Mike Legeros (another photographer) web site. www.legeros.com/ralwake/photos/

The photos which I included in my post previously were taken by Michael Porowski and his photos can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/pski/fire_photos

Just a side note, none of the photos which I have posted have been "mass produced" for retail. They are simply shots taken by excellent freelance photographers who are also Fire Buffs.

A lot of photos don't make it onto websites, so if you see a photographer that tends to take pictures that you like, you might consider contacting them and describe to them what you're looking for and see what they can do for you. On the other hand, since you already have in mind what you want.. it might be best for you to do some freelance photography on the fireground and try to capture the shot that you want.. honestly, it takes a good eye (and some luck) to capture a truly excellent shot of firefighters working, especially given the conditions we work in (day, night, smoke, rain, etc).
          Last edited by FTMPTB15; 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM. Reason: one more thing
          Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

What images come to mind when you think of firefighting?
            In 1 word:

Teamwork
            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
            George Mason
            Co-author of the Second Amendment
            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
            Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

What about this one?
              Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-17-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

That has to be 1 of your better ones Bou! Almost makes up for those funny helmets...
                My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                George Mason

Comment

FlyingKiwi, thanks for the explanation.

CALFFBOU, that second one would work a lot better. . . distinct light, definite shadow lines on the helmet and coat. 'Course, it is from the back; so from a psychological perspective it's not as engaging since the viewers can't see a human face. As a designer I like the focus it places on the flames though.

FTMPTB15, those first two in your post are really cool, and they'd definitely work for what I'm thinking about doing now. Thanks for the information on photographers too. After looking through some of those photos online I think there's a few I might be interested in doing. I might try to take my own as well, but I guess the odds favor getting a good photo from somebody who's been taking pictures of fires for a long time. Especially with all the conditions you mentioned.

Great stuff on this thread, it's really been helpful. Pleasekeep posting if you've got more suggestions or pics
                  Last edited by Artist; 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum

That has to be 1 of your better ones Bou! Almost makes up for those funny helmets...
                    ...Almost!
                    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                    IAFF Local 2339
                    K of C 4th Degree
                    "LEATHER FOREVER"
                    Member I.A.C.O.J.
                    http://www.tfdfire.com/
                    "Fir na tine"

Comment

Dan, nice work. The Ready Boots is a great representation.
                      George Mason

Comment

Thanks SPFDRum. After hearing what everyone's been saying, I think it's the closest one of the series to what I want to try to show in my paintings. I'm glad you like it.
                        Last edited by Artist; 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum
                          Dan, nice work. The Ready Boots is a great representation.
                          I'll second that! Nice Warringtons

Also, I'd strongly suggest getting in contact with either one of those photographers.. they both do great work and I'm sure they have TONS of images that aren't online. They also might be able to help locate a good image and I'm sure they better understand all the lighting requirements, etc. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more of your work.. please let me know if you need anything else.
                          Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Dan, thanks. Here is an idea, though there is absolutely no possibility of anyone mistaking me for an artist, but if you could paint a portrait of a half ate meal sitting on the firehouse diner table, left in a hurry....?
                            George Mason

Comment

Photograrpher interference is a sport in some communities. But there's nothing illegal about it.
                              Sighh.. ya been known to engage in that sport with "casual" bystanders on some of the messier calls. Last one of particular note was the fatality we had in March 2004. In the end, 3 of us chased this one Photo-Dork away, until he finally got himself right out of the way by climbing up the rock face and got above us. After that, there wasnt much we could do about him.

And Dan, those are some mighty fine prints you have going there. Keep up the good work.
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

What about this one? I think it tells a good story...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X