Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonnytheTurk
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2004

It absolutly disgusts me to think that a bunch of people every year sit around a table and try to figure out another way to make money from another persons loss......

The only shirts or items I have ever purchased have been directly from the fire house of one of our fallen brothers, at least then i know the money is being directed straigth to the families......

At the end of the day people who try to gain profit off something that caused so much pain and suffering to so many are just 3 words .....

BLOOD SUCKING PARASITES !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Comment

• LuckyThirteen
      Fir Na Tine
      • Aug 2006

The only place I'll purchase anything from is from the NY Firestore since they do donate quite a bit of money to various organizations to include the UFA Widows & Children's Fund.
      Tom Warshaw
      Station 13 (Bethel)
      Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

• t13one12
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JonnytheTurk
        The only shirts or items I have ever purchased have been directly from the fire house of one of our fallen brothers, at least then i know the money is being directed straigth to the families......
        Amen to that. Exactly my point. It is the only time you know for sure that the money will be delivered to those it is intended for.
        9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
        Battalion 12
        Heaven In Harlem

Tim
        CFD #143

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
          FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
          • Jan 1999

Making a mint off 9/11 -- The hucksters who two years ago tried to peddle the fraudulent Freedom Tower Silver Dollar are back with an even more offensive scheme for trading on the memory of 9/11 for money.
          They go by the name of the National Collector's Mint of Port Chester, N.Y., and they're marketing a monstrosity called the 2001-2006 World Trade Center Commemorative over the Web and on late-night cable TV. You've got to see it to believe it. The thingamajig consists of a gold-colored coin with a silver-colored inlay in the shape of the twin towers, "gleaming ... much as they shimmered in the sunlight that fateful September morning." Stand the inlay up, and you have your own World Trade Center! Made of "15 mg. of 24-kt gold and 15 mg. of .999 pure silver" - the silver "miraculously recovered from a bank vault found under tons of debris at Ground Zero" - the medallion sells for $29.95. Of that, the mint promises to donate $5 to "official 9/11 family charities and memorials." The company can easily afford to be so cynically charitable. The Journal News newspaper had the precious metals analyzed and discovered they were worth about 32 cents. Last time, in 2004, the National Collector's Mint advertised its Freedom Tower medallion as legal tender from the Northern Mariana Islands. Turned out that the Marianas don't mint currency, they use U.S. greenbacks. And the supposedly pure silver in the coin - the same miraculously recovered silver - was hair-thin and worth about 1.4 cents. State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer's office sued, and a judge fined the company $370,000. Spitzer's investigation was unable to confirm whence the silver came. As for the charities referred to in the mint's new ads, a press statement identifies them as Tuesday's Children, the World Trade Center United Family Group, the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation and the Families of Flight 93 National Memorial, worthy causes all. Two of them, Tuesday's Children and the WTC family group, said yesterday that the mint had recently sent donations. They wrestled with what to do with money from such a distasteful source. Our advice for people who find themselves attracted by the ads for this cheesy, near-worthless trinket: Turn away and send $5 directly to one of the charities. You'll do good and save money, too.
          ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
          LT. John Ginley Engine 40
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
          FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
          FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
          FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
          FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
          FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
          FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
          "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
          *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• NJFFSA16
            Sr. Information Officer
            • Aug 2001

Originally posted by ChiefReason
            ....is "anniversary" even the appropriate descriptor of 9/11/2001?
            We need to find a new word Chief....and have it added to the Webster's.

Suggestions?

Memoversary? Eventersary? Tragicersary?
            Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
            Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
            On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

• EastKyFF
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
              We need to find a new word Chief....and have it added to the Webster's.

Suggestions?

Memoversary? Eventersary? Tragicersary?
              Well, at the rate it's going, how about

Exploitersary

Profitersary

Desecratesary

Make-a-bucksary

(Incidentally, Merriam-Webster reports the etymology of "anniversary" as "Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn")

Since 9/11, I have wondered how long a jaded, heartless, misled American public could set aside its conspiracy theories and penchant for self-blame and understand that nothing we have done justifies what has been done to us.

The answer: Five years.
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• hwoods
                63 Years & Still Rolling
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                Well, at the rate it's going, how about

Exploitersary

Profitersary

Desecratesary

Make-a-bucksary

(Incidentally, Merriam-Webster reports the etymology of "anniversary" as "Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn")

Since 9/11, I have wondered how long a jaded, heartless, misled American public could set aside its conspiracy theories and penchant for self-blame and understand that nothing we have done justifies what has been done to us.

The answer: Five years.

How about if we derive something else from the Latin version and call it an anusversary, because it brings out all the anuses......
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• EastKyFF
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2001

Aw, cut to the chase.

Assiversary!
                  “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                  ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• 38ffems
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2004

As much as I am disgusted at the people profitting from this XXXX-sary I am glad to see that there are people trying to keep the memory alive, the commercials for the new WTC memorial are pretty decent. It bugs the hell outta me that 10 years from now nobody is going to remember it. I am sure that if you ask a war veteran they would say the same thing about the wars they served in. I am still very bothered by the tragedy even 5 years after and I was not directly affected. Its a lose lose situation, you have movies out and basically they profit off of a terrible event where many inocent and a few terrorist lives ended.

Comment

• NJFFSA16
                      Sr. Information Officer
                      • Aug 2001

And this related story

NY City may sue former cop over 9/11 photo book

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City wants the
                      profits from a new book of photographs of the Sept 11 attacks
                      to go to charity and may sue the former city police officer who
                      took them, a city official said Tuesday.
                      New York City law department counsel Gerald Singleton said
                      the city was considering a lawsuit against John Botte whose
                      book "Aftermath" was published Tuesday by ReganBooks, an
                      imprint of HarperCollins. The rights to the photographs belong
                      to the city, and Botte did not seek permission to publish the
                      book, Singleton said.
                      "He was taking pictures while on duty, at the direction of
                      the department and while he was in the employ of the city,"
                      Singleton told Reuters.
                      Singleton said he has agreed to give attorneys for
                      ReganBooks several weeks to respond to the city's concerns
                      before he files the suit in September.
                      "The City is not trying to stop publication of the book,"
                      Singleton said. "The City is just interested in seeing that
                      Botte does not profit personally from the publication of this
                      book."
                      The book will have a first print run of 30,000 copies,
                      ReganBooks spokesman Greg Sullivan said. He declined to comment
                      on the city's case and Botte did not immediately respond to
                      requests for comment put to him through the publisher.
                      Profits from another book of photographs taken by police
                      officers, "Above Hallowed Ground," were donated to the New York
                      City Police Foundation and the City wanted the same arrangement
                      for Botte's book, Singleton said.
                      Singleton said Botte had taken all the pictures "using
                      privileged access he received in his capacity as a member of
                      the NYPD, and while being paid by the City."
                      HarperCollins is a division of News Corp..
                      Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                      Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                      On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

• IACOJRev
                        Fire Chaplain
                        • Dec 2002

I have no plans of seeing the 9/11 movie, just wanted to toss this thought out there...

Have you seen:
                        Saving Private Ryan?
                        Good Morning Vietnam?
                        Pearl Harbor?
                        All Quiet on the Western Front?
                        Schindler's List?
                        The Bridge on the River Kwai?
                        The Great Escape?
                        Platoon?
                        Gettysburg?
                        1941?
                        The Dirty Dozen?

How is a movie depicting the tragedy of 9/11 any different from a movie about Pearl Harbor, Vietnam, WWI, WWII, etc?
                        Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Mar 2002

33, as you mention, in a few more years who will remember? Unless we make an effort to do so. Over this past weekend I had privilage to attend the Kennedy Center and be entertained by the US Army Field Band, performing on their 60th Anniversary. At the beginning of the show, they honoured several former serving members of the Army and of the Band itself. There was one Gentleman who served in Korea. Part of the commentary (and my friend I had a moment to speak with him during intermission and he echoed the words) they made reference to Korea as being the "Forgotten War". And it is.

Sadly, I guess that is the way of human nature. Somethings will "live forever" while others become lost to the passage of time. Will the events of 9/11 pass that way? Who knows. But not if we Remember.

And Harve, trust you to find the "flaw" in a Websters word definition.
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• nyckftbl
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by IACOJRev
                            I have no plans of seeing the 9/11 movie, just wanted to toss this thought out there...

Have you seen:
                            Saving Private Ryan?
                            Good Morning Vietnam?
                            Pearl Harbor?
                            All Quiet on the Western Front?
                            Schindler's List?
                            The Bridge on the River Kwai?
                            The Great Escape?
                            Platoon?
                            Gettysburg?
                            1941?
                            The Dirty Dozen?

How is a movie depicting the tragedy of 9/11 any different from a movie about Pearl Harbor, Vietnam, WWI, WWII, etc?
                            Were any of those movies made by a director and lead actress who openly critized the U.S ?

"[Sept. 11] was a terrible tragedy and of course it goes without saying that I grieve along with every American for everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe. But for those of us who were spared, it was also an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful, as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict. Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9-11." Maggie Gyllenhaal

It wasnt a CONFLICT, IT WAS AN ATTACK! Yeah, real courageous

“I think the revolt of September 11th was about ‘F*ck you! F*ck your order … The Arabs have a point! … Does anybody make a connection between the 2000 election and the events of September 11th? Look for the thirteenth month!

“This attack was pure chaos, and chaos is energy. All great changes have come from people or events that were initially misunderstood, and seemed frightening, like madmen. Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Gates …” Oliver Stone quotes...

Now these *ssholes are making money off our "mistakes".

Still think these movies are the same?
                            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

• EastKyFF
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2001

The key difference is time, Rev. 9/11 was 5 years ago.

Saving Private Ryan? Set 60+ years ago.
                              Good Morning Vietnam? 35+
                              Pearl Harbor? 65 years ago. And on and on. Children orphaned by those wars are long since grown. Widows managed to pay mortgages somehow or other.

Children and widows of 9/11 are still struggling. A girl who was 13 years old when she lost Mom on 9/11 is loading up for college right now. The mother of a newborn as of that day now has a kid heading for kindergarten. Can she get him dropped off at school and make it to work? Who will help him with his English paper in a few years if Mom's not a great speller?

Those who suffered years ago have had some time to cope and to heal, and to make adjustments for what they lost. However "over" 9/11 a jaded and heartless American public is, those families are still working through their losses.
                              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• IACOJRev
                                Fire Chaplain
                                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                                [Sept. 11] was a terrible tragedy and of course it goes without saying that I grieve along with every American for everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe. But for those of us who were spared, it was also an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful, as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict. Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9-11." Maggie Gyllenhaal
                                I am not familiar with any other things that she may have said, so I'm just commenting on the single quote that you have provided. Is she being critical of the US here? I don't get that impression from reading this single quote. She is challenging us to look at ourselves and ask tough questions. What's wrong with that? In fact, I agree strongly with her final sentence.

It wasnt a CONFLICT, IT WAS AN ATTACK!
                                Did you stop to think that her choice of the word "conflict" was looking at the entire situation as a whole and not just at the single attack on WTC? Afterall, she did in the previous sentence make reference to our role in the world, not just life in NYC.

So what, she said "conflict". Then again, I don't see a problem with using the word "anniversary" either.

Oliver Stone quotes...
                                Not an Oliver Stone fan, and quite frankly, don't care what he says.

Now these *ssholes are making money off our "mistakes".
                                You're the only one saying we made mistakes here. Didn't see that word anywhere in the quotes you provided.

Still think these movies are the same?
                                Yeah, I do.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                                The key difference is time, Rev. 9/11 was 5 years ago.

Saving Private Ryan? Set 60+ years ago.
                                Good Morning Vietnam? 35+
                                Pearl Harbor? 65 years ago. And on and on. Children orphaned by those wars are long since grown. Widows managed to pay mortgages somehow or other.
                                Oh, I see. So if this SAME move was released in another 20 years, all would be okay? If this were the case, why do our Vets and their families still cry at the war memorials in DC? Should we slap them and say, "Get over it, that was 35 years ago!" I don't think so.

And does the factor of time passing then make it okay for someone to make money on the tragedy as so many are arguing against with 9/11?
                                Last edited by IACOJRev; 08-23-2006, 10:45 AM.
                                Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...