Trivia Question - Maltese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia Question - Maltese

I know the history of the Maltese Cross and recognize the symbols often within it, but on a very few of the scrambles I see the staff looking symbol attached below. Anyone have any idea what this represents?
    Attached Files

Wild guess, some sort of key(alarm box?????)

Comment

I've been told in the past that one of the things that the firefighters would do is march in parades, which often occured at night. Remember that this was 100+ years ago...anyway, the design you're referring to is a torch, which was carried in a U-shaped metal piece on the end of a wooden stick.

I could be completely wrong, but this is what I recall!
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

It is an aerial view of a cowboy riding a thin horse.
        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Wow, where did you come across that, it's very rare and secret; from the secret society of lacrosse players!
          Other than a smart *** comment, I couldn't tell you...
          My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
          Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

It is the lanterns they carried in front of the old hand drawn appratus in the days when vollies protected this country's major cities. I believe the Philly and the New York Museums have some of these on display.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Well I can't say I'm surprised Fred knew than answer, only surprised he beat dal90 to it!
              Fred, I googled images for a lantern, but no real results. Did they carry the lantern on a pole in the same way the parade route was lit in the old days for Mardi Gras?
              Last edited by SPFDRum; 08-11-2006, 08:37 PM. Reason: add a ?
              My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
              "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
              George Mason
              Co-author of the Second Amendment
              during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
              Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Funny.....

I like what Kiwi wrote........... Now datz funny rite der.........
                "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

I'm just wait'n for Harve to answer up. I'll bet he has one tucked away in the barn out in the "Back 40", with his name scratched on the handle.
                  If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

A couple of our guys scene it on a neighboring patch, and then found it on another.

They think that at one time the Department must of had a Championship Shuffle board team.

Comment

Kinda looks like this

Originally posted by dshort32
                      I know the history of the Maltese Cross and recognize the symbols often within it, but on a very few of the scrambles I see the staff looking symbol attached below. Anyone have any idea what this represents?
                      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rarita...e2.jpg&.src=ph

Comment

MikeyBoy

"Brokeback Mountain", was really the story of this horse.
                        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X