Woohooo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohooo!

Its been a long time since I've been to a drive-in theater. Last one was in St Catherines, Ontario and we watched Full Metal Jacket - we had just finished our Basic Training and were on a weeks leave.

Drive-Ins Making Comeback Thanks To Baby Boomers
    Several Drive-Ins In D.C. Area

POSTED: 5:58 pm EDT August 7, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:32 am EDT August 8, 2006

WASHINGTON -- With modern-day technology, such as iPods, BlackBerries and the Internet, many baby boomers were left wondering whatever happened to the simple drive-in movie?

According to News4 entertainment reporter Arch Campbell, the short answer is real estate values and air conditioning.

Invented in the 1940s, outdoor movies mushroomed in the '50s and hit their stride in the '60s when baby boomers started driving and going on dates.

Most boomers said they have fond memories of the outdoor theater, so fond that the business is making a comeback as a form of G-rated entertainment:

Baby boomers said they love to bring their classic cars to the drive-in. Patrons come early, watch their kids play, and set up lawn chairs.

"We need to have more (drive-ins). I don't mind the movie theater, but I just like the throw back, that's what we did when I was a kid," said Jeffrey Shanks.

Twenty new drive-ins opened across the country the past year. The new Galaxie-4 outside Dallas, Texas, does the biggest drive-in business in America, News4 reported Monday.

Jim Koop recently reopened the Raleigh Road drive-in theater in North Carolina. He bought the business on Ebay.

"Once you see a movie on the big screen underneath the stars with your family and your friends, you will never want to see a movie any other way," said Koop.

Virginia has eight operating drive-ins. Maryland has two -- one in Baltimore and one in Hagerstown.

Monday night, the Screen on the Green program shows movies outdoors by the Washington monument. The Comcast film festival also begins Monday at Strathmore Hall.

For more information on this story: Baby Boomers: Drive-In Movies Comeback: www.driveins.org, www.driveins.com, www.driveinmovies.com.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

make-out time

Allright, now I can fog up the car windows again.

Comment

So now instead of some ***ole's cell phone ringing we have to deal with their car alarms?

On the other hand, they may now have a reemerging market now that indoor movie theater prices are so high.
      So you call this your free country
      Tell me why it costs so much to live
      -3dd

Comment

Good point, the drivein i think is $7 a person for two shows whereas the movie theather is 11 for 1.
        9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
        Battalion 12
        Heaven In Harlem

Tim
        CFD #143

Comment

Originally posted by t13one12
          Good point, the drivein i think is $7 a person for two shows whereas the movie theather is 11 for 1.
          More importantly, The drive-in would be $7 for a family of four to see two shows. Indoors its $44 for one. (assuming they pay per-car?)
          So you call this your free country
          Tell me why it costs so much to live
          -3dd

Comment

It's been a year or so since I went, not that great weather or movie selection as of late so I can't remember if it is per car or per person. I'm willing to guess it is per person otherwise it would be difficult for them to make $. Still at $28 for a family of four for two movies its not a bad deal.
            9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
            Battalion 12
            Heaven In Harlem

Tim
            CFD #143

Comment

I remember going to drive-ins a kid and young teenager. We used to just walk in the back way thru the woods. OOppps were we suppose to pay. No really. We would come in by the car loads. I never really was able to listen to a movie though to much distraction and we just went to the payground and wanted more popcorn. As an adult today though I would love to watch a movie outside during the fall with some Hot cocoa and a blanket.

Comment

As an adult today though I would love to watch a movie outside during the fall with some Hot cocoa and a blanket.

Now that paints a very pleasant image in the o'le imagination..........
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X